Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the last year, my 2013 Pilot has started losing gas mileage. It is currently down to about 15/18 mpg. It has about 83000. Recently, there has been a rattle coming from the bottom of the car after the car warms up, when I apply the gas. Before it is completely hot, it almost feels like a grind or growl but is very faint (to where my hubby doesn’t notice it because he rarely drives my car). When the gas mileage started to decline, I had all the spark plugs changed and I have done all required maintenance throughout the life of the car. I don’t want to go changing stuff willy nilly until it’s works, but right now, this gas mileage is insane. BTW, this not an AWD car. It is a basic Pilot. Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
657 Posts
Have your driving habits changed at all? Just spitballing here, but maybe the grind is from a stuck caliper. That can certainly bring down MPG.

It's interesting how many people post about MPG going down as these trucks accumulate some miles.

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
Try cleaning your mass airflow sensor (MAF) with CRC Electronic Cleaner. Spray just a couple of burst into the electrodes and let dry before reinstalling and starting. The MAF can affect millage if the reading is faulty from being dusty.
Has the air filter been replaced?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No change of driving habits and and we checked the brakes and calipers. I found a post from 2011 with the exact same mileage as mine that said the same thing. I'm wondering if this is just a Honda "thing." It's the first one I have owned and I have to say this is completely frustrating. It started out as 21/27 mpg and now is 15/18 mpg. If I wanted that gas mileage, I would have bought a Jeep! My brother (who is a GM mechanic) suggested that the rattle may be the catalytic converter and he proposed a couple of scenarios that may cause gas mileage issues from that but he also mentioned that if it is the catalytic converter, that usually means there is an issue somewhere else that caused the problem with the converter.

As for the Air Filter, yes, I followed the maintenance on this vehicle religiously and I bought the car with 7 miles on it. I will get the MAF cleaned and see if that makes a difference.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts