Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this discussion over on the Accord forum. Since many here go to the dealership for service and the use of OEM parts "only," I thought this would make an interesting discussion here.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
I found this discussion over on the Accord forum. Since many here go to the dealership for service and the use of OEM parts "only," I thought this would make an interesting discussion here.
So much for my last bastion of reliable true OEM parts. Oh well, back to Amazon.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,569 Posts
I know the general consensus around these parts is dealers=crooks, but it could be that Honda no longer makes certain parts for certain cars or the price of the part is so high and the customer requested aftermarket be used.

I've never used anything but aftermarket parts on my cars with only a few exceptions. As long as I'm not being charged Honda Genuine prices, I don't particularly care what parts are being used. The work and parts are warrantied and most things if they end up being crappy won't destroy your car.

The whole Honda Genuine parts is obviously a marketing scheme. Most people assume because the manufacturer's logo is on it, it is the best for their car. Once you break free from that way of thinking....things are much less complicated.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It sounds like it's more about making the customer happy and not inconvenienced having to come back twice. What's wrong with say using Denso parts from Napa if you don't have them.
Denso for Denso, sure.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know the general consensus around these parts is dealers=crooks, but it could be that Honda no longer makes certain parts for certain cars or the price of the part is so high and the customer requested aftermarket be used.

I've never used anything but aftermarket parts on my cars with only a few exceptions. As long as I'm not being charged Honda Genuine prices, I don't particularly care what parts are being used. The work and parts are warrantied and most things if they end up being crappy won't destroy your car.

The whole Honda Genuine parts is obviously a marketing scheme. Most people assume because the manufacturer's logo is on it, it is the best for their car. Once you break free from that way of thinking....things are much less complicated.
It be intresting to see if they used a Honda part # while subbing an aftermarket part. I'd want to be asked if ok, or wait for OEM. Sounds like that's not what's happening here.

·
Read Only
293 Posts

Aftermarket engine mounts are notoriously junk. So are aftermarket ignition coils, I just threw an amazon (standard motor parts) one away yesterday and put the oem coil back in that has 240k miles on it because it was making the car miss at idle. I would never put a aftermarket thermostat in my car. There are lots of parts that are not better than OEM.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,194 Posts
Sometimes aftermarket parts are OK and sometimes you should really prefer OEM, like for solenoids, or VTM-4 fluid. The tricky part sometimes is to figure out when to pay more and go OEM or not, so you have to do your homework, then do it again to make sure you're really getting OEM parts. Hence, another reason this forum is an excellent resource.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Aftermarket engine mounts are notoriously junk. So are aftermarket ignition coils, I just threw an amazon (standard motor parts) one away yesterday and put the oem coil back in that has 240k miles on it because it was making the car miss at idle. I would never put a aftermarket thermostat in my car. There are lots of parts that are not better than OEM.
Ya, for engine coils, I'd want a Denso, Hitachi, NGK, some say Delphi is ok. Definitely no generic brand for that.
But there are a lot of aftermarket parts that can be ok. I bought Honda sway bar bushings once. The Honda package said Made in China. So even Honda has parts made for them. I could have used Moog for 1/2 the price. I think there are aftermarket parts that are equal or better than OEM. oil, oil filter, brake pads, belts hoses, tires, air filters.

Reactions: briantii

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
868 Posts
This is no surprise. If the dealerships require a part, they will get it from whoever can deliver it for the cheapest price. The only exception would be work on a car that is covered by a factory warranty. I use a lot of aftermarket parts myself and have had no major issues with them and I agree that there are some elcheapo parts out there that don't meet standards. I usually stay with the common brands like NGK, Denso and Aisin for my needs.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is no surprise. If the dealerships require a part, they will get it from whoever can deliver it for the cheapest price. The only exception would be work on a car that is covered by a factory warranty. I use a lot of aftermarket parts myself and have had no major issues with them and I agree that there are some elcheapo parts out there that don't meet standards. I usually stay with the common brands like NGK, Denso and Aisin for my needs.
I'd say I'm a little surprised. If your out of warranty, what to keep them from using a Gates timing belt water pump kit and charging you for OEM? I'd want to know what parts their using to fix my vehicle.

·
Registered
740 Posts
We use some aftermarket parts, but the customer ALWAYS knows, and makes the decision. Some parts like calipers, rotors are just way overpriced from Honda. Sometimes customer wants aftermarket, but we refuse to use them, almost anything electronic/electrical seems to be an issue from aftermarket, unless it's denso or ngk.

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
868 Posts
We use some aftermarket parts, but the customer ALWAYS knows, and makes the decision. Some parts like calipers, rotors are just way overpriced from Honda. Sometimes customer wants aftermarket, but we refuse to use them, almost anything electronic/electrical seems to be an issue from aftermarket, unless it's denso or ngk.
I understand the reasoning and I am sure that reputable dealerships would inform the customer of the parts choices and comparable costs. I am sure that there are shady garages out there charging customers full OEM prices on substandard aftermarket parts. That's why it is important to have a good knowledge of your vehicle and understand what is required to repair it and know exactly what parts are going to be replaced before you authorize the repairs.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Awesome - that's great to hear and the way this SHOULD be done. It's sad though that Honda over prices their parts to the point where even the dealer network feels it appropriate to go outside to get the parts. Honda really has become insane with their pricing.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
I have noticed, fairly consistently, that parts that came with the cars I've owned that failed, when replaced with aftermarket parts, that the replacements did not last as long as the OEM parts they replaced. My mechanic uses all top shelf aftermarket parts and guarantees all his work. I don't often need him to honor that guarantee but on at least one occasion he replaced a part he installed after a year.

But looking over my service records there is a definite trend for aftermarket parts failing to last as long as the original parts that came with the vehicles from the factory. (speaking only about cars we bought brand new)

For example, the front CV joints on the van failed within a few months of each other at the 9 year 120k mile mark. The mechanic replaced one side, then three months later the other side. (he said there was no labor savings doing both at the same time) Eventually, the first CV joint he replaced started clicking and needed to be replaced. I made a comment to him that I thought we had just replaced that CV joint, hoping he would honor his guarantee. Not in a dishonest asking-for-something-for-nothing way. So he took the time to look back through his records and found that that CV was replace four years ago. So I was a little embarrassed I said anything. But the other CV joint went about 4 months later. And this pattern pretty much held for most all repairs where replacement parts lasted half as long (or in some case less) as the original parts they replaced. After a while, I asked him to only use OEM parts on jobs where labor was a significant cost. Many of those OEM parts are still in the van after 200k miles.

This may not matter if you do all the work yourself and labor isn't as big a cost consideration as the cost of the parts. Just a general observation of repair jobs by ASE certified excellent mechanics using OEM vs aftermarket parts over several decades of record keeping across different cars and brands, generally the OEM parts lasted noticeably longer than the aftermarket ones. Jobs done by the dealer may have had labor errors requiring redos but the OEM parts themselves lasted as long as the originals. I've never had an aftermarket part installed by a dealer as far as I know.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have notice fairly consistently, that parts that came with the cars I've owned that failed, when replaced with aftermarket parts, the replacements did not last as long as the OEM parts they replaced. My mechanic uses all top shelf aftermarket parts and guarantees all his work. I don't often need him to honor that guarantee but on at least one occasion he replaced a part he installed after a year.

But looking over my service records there is a definite trend for aftermarket parts failing to last as long as the original parts that came with the vehicles from the factory. (speaking only about cars we bought brand new)

For example, the front CV joints on the van failed within a few months of each other at the 9 year 120k mile mark. The mechanic replaced one side, then three months later the other side. (he said there was no labor savings doing both at the same time) Eventually, the first CV joint he replaced started clicking and needed to be replaced. I made a comment to him that I thought we had just replaced that CV joint, hoping he would honor his guarantee. Not in a dishonest asking-for-something-for-nothing way. So he took the time to look back through his records and found that that CV was replace four years ago. So I was a little embarrassed I said anything. But the other CV joint went about 4 months later. And this pattern pretty much held for most all repairs where replacement parts lasted half as long (or in some case less) as the original parts they replaced. After a while, I asked him to only use OEM parts on jobs where labor was a significant cost. Many of those OEM parts are still in the van after 200k miles.

This may not matter if you do all the work yourself and labor isn't as big a cost consideration as the cost of the parts. Just a general observation over decades of work done by ASE certified excellent mechanics using OEM vs aftermarket parts over decades of record keeping. Generally the OEM parts last longer.
I've had similar experiences when using aftermarket parts. But I'm way ahead of the financial game using aftermarket parts versus OEM. If I were paying a mechanic, even more so. Yes, I've rolled the dice and lost using rebuilt CV axles, aftermarket catalytic converters and engine mounts that would not fit. All painful, never do that again experiences. But I've banked huge amounts of cash on maintanance items... Multiple Aisin timing belt water pump kits, brake pads, rotors, calipers, vtec solenoid assemblies, gaskets/seals (not all), belts, hoses, tires, oil filters, air filters, fluids (not all), multiple PCV valves, EGR valves, radiators, AC condensers, alternators, batteries, sensors, relays, fuses, spark plugs, blend door actuators, cooling fans... I'm sure there's more, 🤔 many used body parts from salvage yards. So... I haven't exactly worn a trail to my nearest dealership.

·
Registered
9,715 Posts
I've had similar experiences when using aftermarket parts. But I'm way ahead of the financial game using aftermarket parts versus OEM. If I were paying a mechanic, even more so. Yes, I've rolled the dice and lost using rebuilt CV axles, aftermarket catalytic converters and engine mounts that would not fit. All painful, never do that again experiences. But I've banked huge amounts of cash on maintanance items... Multiple Aisin timing belt water pump kits, brake pads, rotors, calipers, vtec solenoid assemblies, gaskets/seals (not all), belts, hoses, tires, oil filters, air filters, fluids (not all), multiple PCV valves, EGR valves, radiators, AC condensers, alternators, batteries, sensors, relays, fuses, spark plugs, blend door actuators, cooling fans... I'm sure there's more, 🤔 many used body parts from salvage yards. So... I haven't exactly worn a trail to my nearest dealership.
Have you ever added up all the hours you've spent performing those DIY repairs and ordering those parts online or going to a store to buy (or exchange) them?
Do you put any dollar value on that time?
How many miles have you put on your Pilots and how much have you actually saved by working on them yourself?
What would you do for alternate transportation if a Pilot was your only vehicle and it needed service/repairs?

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
No doubt especially with 9 cars to maintain, although the Aisin kits are OEM just under a different label. I don't buy enough parts, period, to have a delta cost add up to anything significant. But my point was paying someone to replace an aftermarket part sooner than an OEM part would generally need to be replaced .... may not save money depending on how long the vehicle is kept. And in my case, and maybe other diy'ers, the inconvenience of visiting the same job more frequently because an aftermarket part was used instead of a longer lasting OEM part, tends to erase the short lived sweet memory of the money saved on the part.

In your case though, even if labor isn't a financial element of the overall equation, if you are replacing an aftermarket part that died sooner than an OEM one would have, then you aren't using the time to replace some other part on another vehicle and saving money on that part. So it's costing you money... or you're saving less. After all, there's only so many hours in a day, and only so much energy left when the job(s) you're working on now is(are) done.

·
Read Only
187 Posts
Have you ever added up all the hours you've spent performing those DIY repairs and ordering those parts online or going to a store to buy (or exchange) them?
Do you put any dollar value on that time?
How many miles have you put on your Pilots and how much have you actually saved by working on them yourself?
What would you do for alternate transportation if a Pilot was your only vehicle and it needed service/repairs?
I owned my 12 year old pilot for 10 years - I have around 226k so it's just about broke in.. It has never inconvenience me except once when I bought a Gates part on Amazon(I stopped buying parts on Amazon and Ebay I just use Rockauto for most parts) Amazon.com: Gates 39092 DriveAlign Automatic Belt Drive Tensioner: Industrial & Scientific which was fake. Never needed a loaner car. I took it to a local mechanic with 30+ years of experience and the bolt sheered twice, he gave up and Honda fixed it right. Yea Honda

1 - 20 of 142 Posts