1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I have Pilot touring 2017 in Canada, Toronto,
The car has 50,000 KM (31000 Mile)

I was doing normal oil change in the dealership, and they gave me the attached report.

1- replace serpentine belt
2- exchange oil fluid
3- fuel injection service

I don't hear any noise in serpentine, and I am not clever enough to identify the status of the belt.

Anyway, I am asking, is that normal for 50,000 KM? do I really need to that, or they are doing business which is not needed.

I know their service is pricey, and I can do it outside the dealership if needed, but I want to know if I really need to do that, should we trust every word from dealership?

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,847 Posts
Honda's recommendation on brake fluid is every three years. Brake fluid over time will begin to develop moisture in it, especially in harsher climates.

The serpentine belt seems high and a bit early unless they are also replacing the tensioner for some reason. If it needs a new serpentine belt this early It makes me wonder if there are any issues with out-of-alignment pulleys, a possibly out-of-position crankshaft harmonic balancer, binding pulleys, or a defective belt tensioner.

Can't tell you on the third. Due to my location and good fortune in my old job I get BG fuel injection cleaning service at no cost as our vehicles are some of the ones they use when demonstrating or training other on their product. That would be a low price these days for a full BG injection cleaner service.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Being that Honda recommends new brake fluid every 3 years, I can understand that service being done now. But you should not need a new serpentine belt unless it has been damaged somehow. As for the fuel injection service, if your engine is running as smooth as it ever has, then there is no reason to mess with it. I have a 2017 Pilot with 51000 miles and mine is doing fine.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Ehh Fellow Canadian, I got the same report from them and of course I challenge them on all since I am a DIYer. Brake fluid replacing/bleeding, as all have said it's every 3 years, I did it myself bought the fluid cheaper at Acura, replace the serpentine belt, I asked me them to show me the cracks and again they could not prove it and finally the throttle body, i asked them if they opened and saw any black carbon deposits and they simply said based on the age of the car they recommend it, don't get me wrong its a great idea to clean it every now and then but not at the dealership, you can do it yourself but you have to be careful as the throttle is fly by wire (electronically driven) and even the dealership can mess it up. Fuel injectors, i used seaform as ecjohnny suggested.

just my 2 cents

Reactions: ls973800
1 - 5 of 5 Posts