Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My local Honda dealer will change my engine oil for 20 bucks.. Anyone know who makes the "Honda" oil? I usually use Mobil 1 high mileage, since i just turned 135k

·
Registered
53 Posts
They buy their oil in bulk, to find out the brand you’d have to ask them. Highly doubt they’ll be using oem Honda oil for $20.

·
Registered
846 Posts
They may buy their bulk oil from the supplier with the lowest bid when they need oil. Trick question - who would be the Original Equipment Manufacturer of oil?

Reactions: The Todd

·
Registered
9,443 Posts
You will unlikely get "Full" Synthetic. It will probably be the Synthetic "Blend."

Ask for the Honda item # for the oil they will use.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
My local Honda dealer will change my engine oil for 20 bucks.. Anyone know who makes the "Honda" oil? I usually use Mobil 1 high mileage, since i just turned 135k
"High Mileage" M1 has additives to swell oil seals that leak, stuff like that. If you have not ever had seal leaks to try and 'solve' with solvent rather than fix, stay away from the high-mileage versions. My too sense...

·
Registered
139 Posts
I know synthetic blend is not as good as full synthetic. However, after changing my 05 Pilot engine oil with M1 5w-20 full synthetic with Honda oil filter, I don't get gas pedal response as good as with dealership oil after 3900-mile driven. Mileage suffers too, roughly 1 or 2 off. This is not the first time. So strange.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
I know synthetic blend is not as good as full synthetic. However, after changing my 05 Pilot engine oil with M1 5w-20 full synthetic with Honda oil filter, I don't get gas pedal response as good as with dealership oil after 3900-mile driven. Mileage suffers too, roughly 1 or 2 off. This is not the first time. So strange.
That is strange. probably that filter LOL

Reactions: aloogatr

·
Registered
2020 Acura TLX A-Spec; 2006 Honda Pilot EXL- AWD
18 Posts
You will unlikely get "Full" Synthetic. It will probably be the Synthetic "Blend."
View attachment 144308
Ask for the Honda item # for the oil they will use.
I don't want to speak for 1,000 Honda dealers and 350 Acura dealers but many have either 0W-20 (synthetic) or 5W-20 (synthetic or blend) in bulk oil. They would not use quart bottles unless it was requested by the customer. You aren't going to get a blend if you request a full synthetic or the vehicle calls for it. Like PLT383 mentioned Honda is not in the oil manufacturing business. As with any purchase if you aren't sure ask before the work is done.

·
Registered
9,443 Posts
Bulk oil may explain all the dust on these bottles.

But regardless, I have no doubts that there is some deception or we'll just say that the customer didnt ask so there's no need for a detailed explanation by the service dept. The item number could tell the customer the whole story if they felt the need to search. Many simply believe their getting the best by going to the dealership. Someone may ask for synthetic, that doesn't necessarily mean they're going to get full synthetic, obviously.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I can sense my car drive differently if I have different dealership do oil change. So another variable to consider, not just oil. Didn't mean to sway your thought of where to go to have oil change though. :p

·
Registered
9,443 Posts
I can sense my car drive differently if I have different dealership do oil change. So another variable to consider, not just oil. Didn't mean to sway your thought of where to go to have oil change though. :p
Maybe should go to 0w16 full synthetic? 😲

·
Registered
9,443 Posts
What oil filter did you choose?

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
OK, I call BS on this one. Sorry. And I'm sure you think you do too- sense a different dealers work, etc. LOL

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
139 Posts
OK, I call BS on this one. Sorry. And I'm sure you think you do too- sense a different dealers work, etc. LOL
Dealership are franchised, owned by different people. Some are nicer, like, having more choice of snacks. This is real stuffs, tangible than senses. Try it. :p

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Dealership are franchised, owned by different people. Some are nicer, like, having more choice of snacks. This is real stuffs, tangible than senses. Try it. :p
Oh, no doubt. You stated you could 'feel' the difference when driving it?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts