Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is only my second car purchase and since the first one was a Saturn this is really a whole new experience for me.

I was at the dealer last week to pick up a loaner car while I wait for my Pilot to come in (due July 5th). I asked if he had the VIN so that I could start sorting out insurance. They don't have it yet but will get it next week. They said that when they get it I could come in and 'check out early'. I assume this means sign all the paper work in advance. I did not have a good feeling about this, since my final signature is basically the only power I have in this whole deal.

My assumption is that they want to get the credit for this sale in June rather than July. If this assumption is correct I guess they may be willing to sweeten the deal to get me to sign early. However, I am still not sure that I will want to do this, even if they offer a decent discount.

Has any one else been in this situation or does anyone with more car buying experience have advice?

Thanks...

·
Registered
18 Posts
What if you "check out early" and the car comes in only to have a huge dent in the door or 500 miles on it? You'd be screwed.

Just wait until the car comes in then look it over very carefully then you can "check out."

If they keep pushing you to pay early just say you will tomorrow, then call back and say something came up and you can't. If that doesn't work then look elsewhere.

:1:

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
I agree. Wait until you can inspect it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Inspect before delivery

Be certain to use the Pilot pre-delivery checklist at before you accept delivery.

You can find the list by searching for 'delivery checklist' on this site.

·
Registered
54 Posts
What benefit is there to you to "check out early" other than an hour of your time? None that I know of. Not really even an hour of your time either. They can have all the paperwork ready for your signature pending your final approval. I've done it in under fifteen minutes once I'm satisfied the car is to my satisfaction.

The last bargaining chip you have is your signature... that's what they want.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
csimo said:
What benefit is there to you to "check out early" other than an hour of your time? None that I know of. Not really even an hour of your time either. They can have all the paperwork ready for your signature pending your final approval. I've done it in under fifteen minutes once I'm satisfied the car is to my satisfaction.

The last bargaining chip you have is your signature... that's what they want.
Yeah, that's what I figured. Thanks for all the replies.

·
Registered
483 Posts
AlanZ3 said:

I was at the dealer last week to pick up a loaner car while I wait for my Pilot to come in (due July 5th).

The dealer you are buying from is letting you use a loaner for a few weeks?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Re: Dealer wanting me to 'check out' early

tonyrwc said:
The dealer you are buying from is letting you use a loaner for a few weeks?
Yes. A Toyota Corolla, not quite a Pilot but it gets me to work and back each day.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts