Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone:
I post a thread on dealer scam and post a thread. However, I can't find my post and wonder if it was lost somewhere. Can anyone show me how to find that thread that I posted or can I do a search on my user id to locate it?

WILL REPOST AGAIN-SEE BELOW-

Dealer Scam- PLEASE Help !!!!
Hello everyone:
I recently bought a Honda Pilot EXL in March 03. I want to bring to everyone attention and seeking your input on what I believe a calculated dirty tactic that a dealer called Hillside Honda in Queens NY inflicted on unaware buyers.

When I bought the car after 6 hours of negotiation through this dealership, I thought it was an OK deal. After signed all proper paper works and drove off with a brand new truck, I got a phone call 30 days later from a finance director indicating that I still owed them $2-3K since they forgot to charge me NY State Tax.

I looked at the sales invoice, there is a sale figure for the truck, under registration and inspection fee- a charge of $111, destination-N/A and Sales Tax typed in"Queens" and "N/A". After 6 hours of negotiations, I don't believed that the dealer "forgot" a sales tax but to give them a benefit of doubt, even if they forgot, they would not typed in N/A.

In the Retail Certificate of Sales that I have a copy of, under Dealer Certification there is a sentence that stated" All New York State and Local taxes due as a result of this sale have been collected from the purchaser". With this in mind, I would assume that the total cost that was printed in the bill of sales included everything which means sales tax.

To make long story short, this dealer only issued to me a temporary registration sticker that expired in April 03. They indicated to me that I will not get a new registration until I settle this dispute. I called the comptroller of this dealer and told her that the dealeship already pressure us to purchase a low jack and practically robbed us on the price. Now, they have a nerve to call (30 DAYS LATER) and ask for more money by stating that it was an "Honest Mistake". As I 've indicated before, I was there for 6 hours trying to get the deal done, and I'm sure the sales manager, finance manager, comptroller and whoever else involved must review the deal and paper work prior to approve the deal and allow me to take the truck home. So, I suggest to the comptroller of this dealeship that I will be happy to return the truck with only 100 miles on it if they provide me a full refund. She said it is not an option to return the truck.

I am so frustrated and seeking any one help to see how I can get the dealer to send me a new registration without having to pay the extra $2-3K. I have already called Motor Vehicle and their record still showed that the plate is still register under Hillside Honda and told me to work this problem to them.

I'm thinking of writing a formal complaint to Honda Motors, Better Business Bureau and local news trouble investigation report but also seeking your help to solve this problem.

BUYER BEWARE AND ANY INPUTS ARE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

PS. SINCE WE ARE FINANCING THE TRUCK, OUR FIRST PAYMENT IS NEXT WEEK AND WE ARE NOT SURE IF WE SHOULD SEND THE PAYMENT PRIOR TO SETTLEMENT.

THANKS
DN
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,190 Posts
4DN392 said:
Hello everyone:
I post a thread on dealer scam and post a thread. However, I can't find my post and wonder if it was lost somewhere. Can anyone show me how to find that thread that I posted or can I do a search on my user id to locate it?
If you click on your "profile" button at the bottom of your post, then click on the "Search for all posts by this user" link, you should be able to find it!!

P.S. Normally, that would work, but in your case, the thread and post seem to have disappeared!!! :8: Something for admin to look into...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
335 Posts
Unfortunately, sales tax is always added to any deal you may negotiate(unless your in one of those lucky states that have no sales tax).

On your contract, there should be a preprinted line for Sales Tax...did they leave that blank and then total all the other line items up?
PS I would file a complaint with better business bureau, in case this is a tactic they use regularly...of course they may just have forgotten to add the sales tax in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
461 Posts
I think your local tv news is a great idea. Around here, they love to do the consumer stories.....and the consumer usually ends up on top b/c of the terrible publicity for the business. I would also call your state's Attorney General and report that the business is stating in the official documents that "all NY taxes have been collected" yet are not forwarding them to the state. I'd say based on that statement, that you have a pretty good case if you chose to have someone represent you legally. Of course, the BBB too. And Honda of America. Dealerships don't "forget" things like that. It is a scam and my guess is that any court would see their game. Look into your NY laws.....in most states I think the dealer is obligated to collect the tax at the time of purchase.

It worries my that your state's DMV though still has the car registered to the dealership. Did they not even file for a title? That might be a whole other problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,140 Posts
4DN392 said:
In the Retail Certificate of Sales that I have a copy of, under Dealer Certification there is a sentence that stated" All New York State and Local taxes due as a result of this sale have been collected from the purchaser".
I am not a lawer (Nor do I play one on TV), but this is the line I would point out to the lawer I would talk to about this issue.

If the dealer signed that "Certificate" then I would assume (from a plain english reading) that they have certified that the taxes were collected.

Remember sometimes the best defence is to;
1) be nice ("I am sure you can fix this")
2) stick to your point (It says " . . . taxes. . .have been . . collected")
3) play dumb ("I just don't understand" (see #2) (repeat as often as necesary)

Have fun, and good luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
283 Posts
I would go talk to a lawyer. If it says that sales tax in included in the final price a lawyer will eat that up.

Also call/email BBB, local news (all of them), and Honda. Who knows how many people they do this to, if you could get a local news company to investigate, maybe this company does it to alot of people. You might want to call and speak to them about it 1 more time. If they still refuse to give you your registration them say " alright then you'll be hearing from my lawyer and I'm reporting you to the BBB." Most companies change their tune real quick when you mention lawyers and the BBB. Specially since the comptroller and manager know those damn tickets in and out and know from looking at your receipt there is nothing they can do lawfully.

Hope it all works out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,351 Posts
PaulV7 said:
I would go talk to a lawyer. If it says that sales tax in included in the final price a lawyer will eat that up.
I agree. Even mentioning a lawyer (as in, "when would be a convenient time for my lawyer and I to come discuss this with you?") might be enough.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
my3kids said:
I think your local tv news is a great idea. Around here, they love to do the consumer stories.....and the consumer usually ends up on top b/c of the terrible publicity for the business. I would also call your state's Attorney General and report that the business is stating in the official documents that "all NY taxes have been collected" yet are not forwarding them to the state. I'd say based on that statement, that you have a pretty good case if you chose to have someone represent you legally. Of course, the BBB too. And Honda of America. Dealerships don't "forget" things like that. It is a scam and my guess is that any court would see their game. Look into your NY laws.....in most states I think the dealer is obligated to collect the tax at the time of purchase.

It worries my that your state's DMV though still has the car registered to the dealership. Did they not even file for a title? That might be a whole other problem.
Can you shed some light if they did not even file for a title which I believe that is the case
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,351 Posts
jfrano said:
Unfortunately, sales tax is always added to any deal you may negotiate(unless your in one of those lucky states that have no sales tax).
Not necessarily. In my state, all taxes are paid directly to a tag agency after you buy the car, and the dealer is not involved at all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
jfrano said:
Unfortunately, sales tax is always added to any deal you may negotiate(unless your in one of those lucky states that have no sales tax).

On your contract, there should be a preprinted line for Sales Tax...did they leave that blank and then total all the other line items up?
PS I would file a complaint with better business bureau, in case this is a tactic they use regularly...of course they may just have forgotten to add the sales tax in.
on the preprinted line for Sales tax, it showed the town location and right next to it, it showed N/A. I interpret this as Not applicable and since the dealer did not leave this blank, I can't imagine that they "forgot" . Would you honestly forgot $2-3K of profit????
Don't think so.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,953 Posts
4DN392 said:


on the preprinted line for Sales tax, it showed the town location and right next to it, it showed N/A. I interpret this as Not applicable and since the dealer did not leave this blank, I can't imagine that they "forgot" . Would you honestly forgot $2-3K of profit????
Don't think so.
it has to be illegal for them to seel you without collecting sales tax...again a lawyer can advise best:3:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,140 Posts
ramirami said:


it has to be illegal for them to seel you without collecting sales tax...again a lawyer can advise best:3:
Not always. If they are not IN the taxing jurisdiction, then often the responsibility falls on the buyer.
Since the buyer mat be the lease company, it gets even more confusing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
461 Posts
4dn....About your title. Why don't you call Honda's toll free customer service number. Provide your VIN and make sure they have you as the owner of the vehicle. If your state doesn't have record that you are the registered owner of that vehicle....I don't know....I'm not an attorney. If they never file that you are the owner of the vehicle....are you? Is there even more scam going on?

I hope someone calls the general manager of that dealership and tells them to check out this thread. They sound like the lowest form of scummy dealership I've ever read about.

Let us know what happens. I would definately call your state's Attorney General's office and tell them the dealership is NOT forwarding collected sales taxes to the state.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,953 Posts
N_Jay said:


Not always. If they are not IN the taxing jurisdiction, then often the responsibility falls on the buyer.
Since the buyer mat be the lease company, it gets even more confusing.
but usually the taxing jurisdiction is defined as the state. In this case both buyer and seller are in NY so my best guess would be the seller is responsible for charging sales tax.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Being from the NY area, I think you should contact one of the consumer reporters, here is the link for Asa Aarons from WNBC, I have a friend who was helped by him and his staff. He would have access to research the answer.

http://www.wnbc.com/askasa/2015419/detail.html
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
I'd also try the Fox 5 Problem Solvers. Go to http://www.fox5ny.com/ and click on News->Problem Solvers.

These newscasters chase the "crooks" down the street to get the problems solved. Very entertaining.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
335 Posts
tracy said:

Not necessarily. In my state, all taxes are paid directly to a tag agency after you buy the car, and the dealer is not involved at all.
Certainley in the case of NY and NJ, sales tax is to be added and collected by the merchant. Also, although if the dealer explicitly placed an N/A next to the sales tax line item a better case can be made that the deal negotiated was a GROSS TOTAL.

Joe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,580 Posts
Here's a thought:

If the sales contract is "wrong" and has to be corrected, then the Dealer will have to write up a new contract and destroy the old one.

If the Dealer makes a new contract, then 4DN392 will have to sign the new contract (with taxes).

Could DN just not agree to sign the new contract and say "oh well I guess the deal is off"?

...or re-negotiate the deal at a lower price?

---By the way, 4DN392, when you agreed to the purchase price did you assume or were you lead to believe the price included taxes? Most deals don't unless you or the Dealer states it up front when negotiating.
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Top