Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up our 2005 Pilot last July with 160K miles on it. The previous, original owner took it to the dealer for service 3-4 times a year which must have been an obscene amount of money. The timing belt tensioner had been noisy for a few minutes on cold start up so I looked into when then T Belt was last changed. In all the detailed dealer service records(reported to carfax), there was no indication that the timing belt had ever been changed. No other record that another shop had done it, no sticker on the TB cover, etc. After comparing the cost of a local garage and the dealer for a TB change, the dealer was actually cheaper so I went with the dealer. Was just reviewing the paperwork for the TB change and I see that they have listed 'replace valve cover gaskets/grommets'(and reported they're changed to carfax as well). But I do not see the valve cover gaskets in the parts list(image below). Do you think they 'forgot' to list them? The question back to me will probably be does it look like they were replaced.. I don't have the vehicle right now to examine but can this evening.

I obscured the prices because I live in probably the most expensive state to have dealer service, and a bit of embarrassment at what I paid. I do a fair bit of maintenance repair myself but timing belts are something I haven't tried before. I had them change the right motor mount as well since it was toast. Wanted OEM(best of the junk options) and no additional labor for them to do since they had to remove for TB service.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Things I noticed not on the invoice that disturbs me is there is no tensioner pulley and Idler pully listed as being replaced in the timing belt job. These bearings are resilient, but it is common practice to replace.
No, there is no valve cover gaskets, grommets and spark plug tube seals listed in parts.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Things I noticed not on the invoice that disturbs me is there is no tensioner pulley and Idler pully listed as being replaced in the timing belt job. These bearings are resilient, but it is common practice to replace.
No, there is no valve cover gaskets, grommets and spark plug tube seals listed in parts.
Oh great. More things for me to be worried about. :confused: I did notice that they had the belt in the parts list alone, and not the typical 'kit'. Guess I will follow up with them on the valve cover gaskets/grommets. Thanks for your thoughts.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Oh great. More things for me to be worried about. :confused: I did notice that they had the belt in the parts list alone, and not the typical 'kit'. Guess I will follow up with them on the valve cover gaskets/grommets. Thanks for your thoughts.
Considering the age of the vehicle, if they are replacing the valve cover gaskets, and grommets, be sure and mention spark plug tube seals. Oil leaking into the tubes is a common problem with age.

·
Registered
740 Posts

That is the tech comments on what they did. The top part looks to be a generic inaccurate labor code/service description. There is no need to have the valve covers off for a belt, and he's not going to do it for free.
As for the tensioner and idler pulleys, we never replace them, have yet to see a bad one.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
View attachment 147015

That is the tech comments on what they did. The top part looks to be a generic inaccurate labor code/service description. There is no need to have the valve covers off for a belt, and he's not going to do it for free.
As for the tensioner and idler pulleys, we never replace them, have yet to see a bad one.
Appreciate your response. Poor form for the advisor to have that on the service description. I imagine the system automatically reports to the carfax service history, so now carfax shows new valve cover gaskets despite that probably not being the case.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
I'm not surprised the tensioner pulley and Idler pulley are not replaced. I've never removed a Koyo bearing that wasn't still silky smooth after 100k miles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts