Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had a dealer tell me it cost $1100 to get the hitch and colling package. Seems very high to me. I have added this option in the past on other SUVs for about $300-400 from the factory. Is this a ripoff and can I do it myself?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Maybe I should ask for typing lessons too - thats "cooling " package.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Can you do it yourself? Well, it's as easy as typing "cooling" (Sorry, couldn't resist)

I would recommend taking a look at the installation instructions. They can be found over at www.handaaccessories.com. Read through the instructions and decide for yourself if this is within or above your mechanical abilities. Good luck!

Chris

·
Registered
664 Posts
I think you need to consider what you are using the package for. (read the rest before smacking me) If you are just going to attach a bike carrier you should just consider an aftermarket kit. If you are going to do some real towing I thought I saw kit was around $800 full MSRP through Honda. I don't know how much labor time would be involved but I'm sure the $1100 is still a little out of bounds.

Unless you need it right away I think I would wait and call around.

(I would also tell the dealer to give it to you at dealer cost not retail if you didn't buy it yet...now check the look on his face.)

·
Registered
232 Posts
We got the hitch package (hitch, AT cooler, PS cooler, and wiring harness dealy that affixes the harness to the hitch) put on as an option at purchase time. The cost to us, including installation, was $675 if I remember right. It was definitely no more than $700. I'd work them over a bit on the $1100, especially if that doesn't include installation.

However, as banningjr suggests, check out the other threads on this topic as you may only need the hitch if you are only going to be putting a bike rack on it. If you are indeed going to tow, be on the safe side and get the coolers.

Cheese :D

·
Registered
102 Posts
I also had the trailer hitch package (hitch, coolers, wires & ball) installed before delivery. I paid $764. including labor and the dealer also installed wheel locks for free (I did not ask him to).
I took delivery June 26.
I would work the dealer.
Hope this helps.

2003 SS EX #09131

·
Registered
45 Posts
cost of tow package

I paid $715 for the tow package installed . i like the idea of the three year warranty . I tow a us cargo aero wedge cargo trailer and had to get a new longer ball mount so the tailgate would open with the trailer attached .cost an additional 30 dollars with the shipping.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts