Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was washing my Pilot yesterday and I opened the hood to clean things up under there. I'm ashamed to say that this is the first time I've opened the hood since the dealer changed the oil at the 15k service, which was about 1500 miles ago. While I was cleaning, I got a surprise - the oil fill cap was gone! I can only assume that the dealer never replaced it since they were the last ones to touch the engine.

I called the dealer (well, I had my wife call since I was wet and dirty) and they said that they would have to order one. :confused: I can't believe they wouldn't have one in stock!

This dealer has been very good up to this point, and I expect them to give me the cap for free even if I don't blame it on them, but I'm wondering how paranoid I should be about possible damage done while the cap was off.

I'm thinking that I'll demand that they change the oil and filter, since just about anything could have gotten in there in the past 1500 miles. We've been camping (driving on dusty dirt roads) and it has rained A LOT over the last few weeks. It's hard to tell how much dirt and water might have gotten in there. :eek:

Beyond that, is there anything else I should demand of them? What other potential problems could this cause? I don't want a catastrophic engine failure a year from now that can't be traced back to this.

Opinions?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I don't know about this engine, but some overhead cam engines will throw oil everywhere without an oil cap in place. I guess this one won't or you would have mentioned it.

I'd request a new cap and oil change, and that their error be documented. The good thing is that crankcase pressure should be positive and push things "out" rather than suck anything in to the crankcase. You are violating some EPA regulations with an open crankcase, but that's not your fault.

I would also ask the Service Manager how this could happen. Even Wal-Mart, Jiffy-Lube and other places have your filler cap and drain plugs double checked. An Acura dealer should offer a higher level of service than a quick lube joint. Maybe that's the question I would ask the Service Manager: "Should I start taking my car to Jiffy-Lube from now on for my oil changes so these things are double checked?" (Yes, I know that every place has these kinds of problems but I think they need a kick in the pants over this one).

·
Registered
316 Posts
Unacceptable

Hi Bill,

This is the type of stuff that you should cause a RUCKUS about and get as much groveling and free stuff from the dealership.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thought I'd post the resolution.

I got a card in the mail saying that the oil cap was in so I called yesterday to schedule (what I hoped would be) my free oil change. The service advisor seemed really put out. When I told him that I was concerned about possible damage to my engine, he gruffly said, "Nothin' got hurt" - how would he know?! When I questioned him on it, he said that the oil fill was in a location where nothing could really get in there. B.S. I have been camping, driving on dirt roads, and through several severe midwestern thunderstorms during the time that the oil cap was AWOL. Anything could've gotten in there, including small rodents.

I asked him for a free oil change to reassure me and he agreed to it without arguing, but his whole attitude kinda hacked me off.

So I took it in today for the oil change and I was sitting in the waiting room for nearly an hour with my 4 year old. I could see my Pilot sitting outside waiting to get into the service bay, so I got fed up and asked to talk to the service manager, thinking that the service advisor was making me wait to spite me.

Well, I may be a bit paranoid, because the Pilot I saw outside was a different SS Pilot waiting for service - woops. Still, other oil change customers had arrived 20 minutes after me and left before me.

So while I was complaining to the Service Manager I told him about the attitude of his Service Advisor. He assured me that my car was just about finished being washed and apologized for the treatment I had received. He is giving me my 22,500 mile service for free (when the time comes), and I made sure that this whole episode has been documented.

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
bill...

what dealer is this...just a caution for us chicago folks...

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is Pauly Honda in Libertyville.

I have to say that they've normally been very good. I'd recommend them. I think this is a case of "one bad apple". The Service Manager was very nice and apologetic for my trouble. A different Service Advisor checked me out, and he was also very apologetic.

The one who was maybe just having a bad day was named Jim. I'll steer clear of him from now on, but I'm not ready to give up on the entire dealership.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh, and Ramirami - I've been wanting to tell you for a long time how much I like your avatar. I've been a Bears fan my whole life. The number of traders (you know who I'm talking about) in the far north 'burbs drives me nuts!

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
Bill Balmer said:
Oh, and Ramirami - I've been wanting to tell you for a long time how much I like your avatar. I've been a Bears fan my whole life. The number of traders (you know who I'm talking about) in the far north 'burbs drives me nuts!

have you driven past the new soldier field...I love the look of it...(despite all the critics in the media)...

Only thing is I cannot go to the games this year...might be too cold for a new born...

p.s. check out www.packers-suck.com :D

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ramirami said:

Only thing is I cannot go to the games this year...might be too cold for a new born...
Do you have season tickets? You know, if you need to get rid of a few here and there... :2:

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
Bill Balmer said:

Do you have season tickets? You know, if you need to get rid of a few here and there... :2:
no i dont have season tickets...but each year I go for 2 to 3 games...

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
ramirami said:

no i dont have season tickets...but each year I go for 2 to 3 games...
My friend and I have to go a Sports Bar to watch the games down here except when the Packers are on a featured game. I'm definitely not looking forward to Favre retiring. He has provided me with a ton of entertainment over the years.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Geez, it's not bad enough that the P*ckers (we don't use that word in our house except as an insult) would have ceased to exist if not for the generosity of Papa Bear Halas, who gave Lambeau the money to keep the team afloat, and it's not bad enough that they resort to dirty play when their team sucks (remember the slam of McMahon and the "hit list towel"?), and it's not bad enough that they steal games with illegal plays (remember the last minute touchdown when Majkowski was over the line of scrimmage when he threw the ball?)....

NOW THEY HAVE TO TRY TO HIJACK OUR THREAD!!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Honda service sucks. Service Manager and his crews have no manners. I was told by my friends to buy toyota because of poor service from Honda. I too had some arguments last friday here in Houston, TX. Well, I have documented and placed a complaint to American Honda. They are looking into the matter seriously. I have not heard from them.

I would not tolerate Honda Service Personnel rude behaviour.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Bill Balmer said:
I was washing my Pilot yesterday and I opened the hood to clean things up under there. I'm ashamed to say that this is the first time I've opened the hood since the dealer changed the oil at the 15k service, which was about 1500 miles ago. While I was cleaning, I got a surprise - the oil fill cap was gone! I can only assume that the dealer never replaced it since they were the last ones to touch the engine.

I called the dealer (well, I had my wife call since I was wet and dirty) and they said that they would have to order one. :confused: I can't believe they wouldn't have one in stock!

This dealer has been very good up to this point, and I expect them to give me the cap for free even if I don't blame it on them, but I'm wondering how paranoid I should be about possible damage done while the cap was off.

I'm thinking that I'll demand that they change the oil and filter, since just about anything could have gotten in there in the past 1500 miles. We've been camping (driving on dusty dirt roads) and it has rained A LOT over the last few weeks. It's hard to tell how much dirt and water might have gotten in there. :eek:

Beyond that, is there anything else I should demand of them? What other potential problems could this cause? I don't want a catastrophic engine failure a year from now that can't be traced back to this.

Opinions?

In my younger days I used to work at a gas station, have seen many dealers leave oil caps off and man IT's A MESS! How does your engine look? If there is oil everywhere I would make them shampoo it for sure..

Had one customer buy a new Mazda and the dealer left the bolt in the oil pan off.. That was a expensive mistake.

I told him he had no oil in the car? He said I just came back from an oil change. BAD!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Similar, bad experience, with same dealer

Hate to resurrect an old thread, but I almost picked up my '03 after taking it in for service, 12 days ago!

Dealership: Pauly Honda in Libertyville, IL

List of 'typical' problems (loose vents, trans recall, SRS re-program, etc). Even though they said it'd be ready the next day, wasn't really expecting-it, so wasn't surprised when I got there and they offered a rental.

In all the time they had my Pilot, they NEVER called me with any updates (remember, it's been 12-days, or today was the 8th business day). Today, I received my first call, stating that all repairs were complete, and that I could pick it up.

When I got there, I popped the hood, and found an empty cookie bag by the radiator (the vending-machine type of bag) - strike 1.
Then, I opened the hatch (spoiler repair), and one of the grommets was missing - strike 2.
After a lot of complaining, I went to drive-off, and the SRS light stayed lit - strike 3.

In addition, the service advisor said that the vehicle had been test-driven several times (we felt the 3rd row roof seatbelt fell down too many times), but mileage out was the same as mileage in. And, with the SRS light, got to believe he was lying (and he wasn't even in sales).

So, had to get back in the rental, and leave our Pilot for at least another day!

I'm sending the Service Manager and Parts Manager this same message, and will follow-up with Honda Customer Service tomorrow.

If anyone has any other suggestions, as to how to raise the volume (so to speak), I'd love to hear from you.

Needless to say, I can't recommend this dealership for service.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Re: Similar, bad experience, with same dealer

gewf631 said:
...In addition, the service advisor said that the vehicle had been test-driven several times (we felt the 3rd row roof seatbelt fell down too many times), but mileage out was the same as mileage in...
I think the "storage" pockets in the ceiling were changed slightly at the end of 03 or for the 04's. There is a noticable click when the connector is plugged into the ceiling.

I had both pockets replaced a month ago (told them I wanted the newer pockets before a window gets broken). the rear one has stayed in place, but the front one falls out occasitionally. (one is better than two). I guess I get the front one replaced again in a year or so.

My point is, you probably need to ask for replacements. Either that or let the tech drive your car around until they "witness" one falling out.

·
Registered
166 Posts
My point is, you probably need to ask for replacements.
In part of my complaining, the service advisor agreed to order a replacement for the rear (our center one has only fallen once, so I'm not going to mess with it).

A follow-up...
I thought I'd be efficient, and copy my post in an e-mail to the dealer. I used the addresses found on the Honda-Link site, for both the service manager and the parts manager. Those both came-back as undeliverable.

·
Registered
323 Posts
dealer mistakes

I have seen that before and oil would be all over the place, oil would also have been burned on the valves,been sludgy and could very soon cause your valves to tick. Your belts could be crap too since they could of got soaked by the oil. I hope your oil pressure light never came on cause then its too late. 5 qt oil engine running on 1 qt of oil is very bad news.

but you think thats bad, I worked on a car last month that was having trani trouble. come to find out it had a trani replced from the recall and the dealer left vice grips on the cooler line. the trans fluid was not circulating good enough and it burned up a new trani. We got the dealer to replace it for free but they made a fuss because the drivetrain warranty was up. I argued that it was up on the engine yes, but not the trans. If I am not mistaken the trans is part of the drivetrain also. Then they said they would do honor the warrenty but would charge for labor. We called the Bureu for Automtive repair and the BBB and the corporate office and got everything straightened out. Needless to say the customer was pleased to have us as an advocate in his corner.

·
Registered
166 Posts
"Finally", it's been repaired

Pauly Honda in Libertyville, IL

18 miles (and a low fuel light) on the vehicle - I've heard of test drives, but ...

Dirt (greasy hand marks) all over the trim around the driver's seat, as well as the fuel-door trim.

Driver's mat also has grease stains.

The only good thing is that my complaint to Honda North America resulted in a coupon for the 30K service (or so the cust-service guy sez). But, it's only a coupon - when I questioned why they couldn't just authorized the service, while the Pilot was at the dealership. and the guy said there's some legal reason why they can't.

Lip service.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts