Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Pilot w/Nav., 2004 Pilot EXL
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some questions that I’m concerned about. I took my 2004 Pilot (225K) to have the timing belt R&R. The initial quote was $15-16 hundred dollars. Seemed really high since the previous at (115K) was around $1,000. Later that day the service advisor called with the “oh by the way” phone call. The oil pump was leaking and Hondabond was used and charged $275 (labor $255 plus part $20 for the Hondabond. Also added was Cam Plate O rings leaking. Another $255 for labor and 2 O rings for $5.
So for another $500 I got the oil pump resealed and 2 cam plate o rings installed. My question: Since the timing belt, water pump, 3 belts and adjuster were taken off and the front of the engine was open isn’t this “robbery” ? Couldn’t the oil pump reseal and cam plate o rings replacement be conveniently done while the front of the engine was open? I agreed to the work but thought the oil Pan would be dropped and cam rings at the top of the engine.
Please advise. By the way the cost was $2,450. Should have sold, traded, junked!

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,303 Posts
It's already overpriced, but if you didn't authorize the extra work, are you required to pay for it?

·
Registered
8,957 Posts
Some questions that I’m concerned about. I took my 2004 Pilot (225K) to have the timing belt R&R. The initial quote was $15-16 hundred dollars. Seemed really high since the previous at (115K) was around $1,000. Later that day the service advisor called with the “oh by the way” phone call. The oil pump was leaking and Hondabond was used and charged $275 (labor $255 plus part $20 for the Hondabond. Also added was Cam Plate O rings leaking. Another $255 for labor and 2 O rings for $5.
So for another $500 I got the oil pump resealed and 2 cam plate o rings installed. My question: Since the timing belt, water pump, 3 belts and adjuster were taken off and the front of the engine was open isn’t this “robbery” ? Couldn’t the oil pump reseal and cam plate o rings replacement be conveniently done while the front of the engine was open? I agreed to the work but thought the oil Pan would be dropped and cam rings at the top of the engine.
Please advise. By the way the cost was $2,450. Should have sold, traded, junked!
You'll only know if the price was high by getting competitive quotes from other dealers or shops in your area.
The oil pump and o-rings won't be installed for free, so maybe the labor charges could have been perhaps $200 less.
If the job only cost $1K instead of $2K, would that have made the difference between keeping the Pilot and having "sold, traded, junked" it?:
Before you took it in for the timing belt job, you should have decided whether or not you wanted to keep it for up to another 7-years or 105K miles.
If spending an extra $1K on repairs is an issue, can you afford to buy a new vehicle now?

·
Read Only
293 Posts
Goes to a dealer, knows the cost, pays the bill, complains later it's highway robbery - do the work yourself next time?

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
Well, I sort of agree with those items should NOT have been that much additional labor charge. IMHO

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
All I know is that kind of money will buy alot of DIY tools. YouTube videos are free.

·
Read Only
187 Posts
I seems like allot to put into a older car. But you did not have to get your hands dirty and the work is guaranteed. There is no winning in some situations.. Good luck. Hopefully you will keep the car for allot longer and with dollar cost averaging you probably be ahead in the long run. You would of not gotten much for a 17 year old car, that needs a timing belt.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,303 Posts
"Dollar cost averaging" -- you must be a broker or some kind of financial advisor. :) I'm using that term these days in helping my kids start investing.

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
It seems like a lot to put into an older car until you consider that a new car will cost ten times more.
You got that right.
However you want to break it down, cost of transportation per month, or price per mile, you will still likely come out ahead fixing an old vehicle than buying new. It all boils down to.., have you got the reserve to take the big hit on repairs when it comes and can you handle the down time by having other transportation.

·
Registered
8,957 Posts
You got that right.
However you want to break it down, cost of transportation per month, or price per mile, you will still likely come out ahead fixing an old vehicle than buying new. It all boils down to.., have you got the reserve to take the big hit on repairs when it comes and can you handle the down time by having other transportation.
Everything is a tradeoff.
Other factors are that insurance and property taxes on an older vehicle will be lower.
For me, state sales tax, alone, on a new vehicle would have been more than the cost of the (second) timing belt replacement I had done in late 2019.
Considering how little I've been driving since then, having the timing belt done instead of buying something new seems like a good decision, so far.
What remains to be seen is how long the transmission will last.

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
What remains to be seen is how long the transmission will last.
An engine and/or transmission replacement quote send many decent vehicles to the scrap yard every year.

·
Registered
8,957 Posts
An engine and/or transmission replacement quote send many decent vehicles to the scrap yard every year.
For most people, the need for a new engine or transmission is the perfect excuse they've been waiting for to buy a new vehicle and they think that the cost of such a repair would be much better off put toward the down payment on a new vehicle. Plus, it gives them something new to show off to the friends and neighbors.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
For most people, the need for a new engine or transmission is the perfect excuse they've been waiting for to buy a new vehicle and they think that the cost of such a repair would be much better off put toward the down payment on a new vehicle. Plus, it gives them something new to show off to the friends and neighbors.
The way things are going, electric cars are starting to look better to me. I might start trading while gas guzzlers still have a market.

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
Well we could go a step further and say that all some need for an excuse is a dead battery. Lol

Reactions: The Todd

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
The way things are going, electric cars are starting to look better to me. I might start trading while gas guzzlers still have a market.
When Tesla releases the $25k electric car, it's going to have a huge impact.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts