Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We placed our order for a NBP EX-L five weeks ago. The dealer said that it should be in around the end of October. Have not heard from them since. I know that it hasn't been all that long yet but we were going through our bank statement and discovered that the dealer cashed our deposit check the day after we ordered it. That doesn't seem right to me. Is this "standard procedure"? :confused:

·
Registered
185 Posts
SOP

I imagine that's SOP with typically a refund check from dealer if the deal falls through. Which dealer in the Pgh area? I'm a Honda Village fan.

·
Registered
664 Posts
It is up to the dealer if you give them a check, after all it is a deposit. Many dealers will take the check but as a courtesy not cash it until the deal is final. (I would check to see if it is a refundable deposit just to cover your butt.) If you are sure this is the truck for you (and I don't think you'll change your mind) I wouldn't worry about it, chalk it up to experience (ie ask before you give them the check next time), and get ready to enjoy a really super vehicle. I would also bug the dealer for a VIN ASAP, they should know one if they put the check in. With the supposed slow down/ production stop the wait may be a little longe than anticipated for your new toy.

Good luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks - Feel a little better now. I was going to buy from Honda Village (they are probably the best around) but went with Valley because I live less than two miles from them.
Hope that wasn't a mistake.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I would just make sure that it's listed as a credit when you sit down to do the paperwork once your Pilot shows up. Not that I'm implying that the dealer would try to cheat you, but you just need to make sure there isn't a mistake where it doesn't get listed on the form.

Chris

·
Registered
20 Posts
We ordered our pilot in june and I asked the dealer if they would be cashing my deposit or holding it. They told me they would be cashing it because it is nonrefundable if you back out. However it was credited to the cost of the pilot when we signed the papers.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
185 Posts
You'll Be Fine

Valley's been around a long time so I'm sure you'll be fine. I was in there looking and they were super nice. The drive out to Honda Village is a bother at times but since I typically only go for maintenance, it's doable. Got comfortable with Honda Village on the '83 Accord [they had one to sell at the time, Valley didn't] and I bought 4 more Hondas from them, the last 3 from the same salesman. I just assumed they would cash the deposit check but I lucked out and had my Pilot three days after I made the deposit back in June. [Deposit would have been refundable.] Really like Honda Village service department. BTW, you won't want your deposit back; Pilot is my favorite Honda to date.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I hate dealers

The Dealer that I had a deposit with started playing bad cop/good cop with me on the price. I went elsewhere. It took me more than a month to get the deposit money back. $500 is a lot of money when you acquire a $34,000 new debt.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My last car purchase was in 91 or 92 so I wasn't sure what the etiquette for 2003 was.

At dealer "A", we put a modest deposit check down and were promised we'd have a delivery date within 24hrs. 48 hours later with no update, I'm calling across town to dealer "B" who has two Havasu blues on their lot just like we wanted. (We drove one home that day.)

Because dealer A "couldn't find a Havasu blue", they refunded our deposit check after we bought from dealer "B". It took them almost two weeks and we had to remind them, but they did refund the deposit. (It seems they'd rather lose a deal than obtain a car from their competitor.)

I believe our contract with dealer A said that we wouldn't be able to obtain a refund after they located a vehicle.

After all that, I'm still not sure about the etiquette stuff....

·
Registered
82 Posts
Definitely varies from Dealer to Dealer....The one I bought from(Merced Honda in Calif) took a deposit to get on the waitlist for a pilot, but they were very clear that it was fully refundable for "any" reason. If I took deliver of the car (which I did) then it was deducted from the purchase cost. They even put it in writing.

That's definely the way I would prefer it as a consumer, especially considering the wait was unknown

·
Registered
186 Posts
B&JGifford said:
My last car purchase was in 91 or 92 so I wasn't sure what the etiquette for 2003 was.

At dealer "A", we put a modest deposit check down and were promised we'd have a delivery date within 24hrs. 48 hours later with no update, I'm calling across town to dealer "B" who has two Havasu blues on their lot just like we wanted. (We drove one home that day.)

Because dealer A "couldn't find a Havasu blue", they refunded our deposit check after we bought from dealer "B". It took them almost two weeks and we had to remind them, but they did refund the deposit. (It seems they'd rather lose a deal than obtain a car from their competitor.)

I believe our contract with dealer A said that we wouldn't be able to obtain a refund after they located a vehicle.

After all that, I'm still not sure about the etiquette stuff....
It took me about 3 weeks and letter to dealership sales manager and owner to get back a $200 deposit when I purchased elsewhere - dealer only had the $$ 2 days when I cancelled. I had to threaten them with legal action after the salesman responded to my request with a bunch of giberish about Wisconsin Codes and statutes. I don't think he was pleased when I told him I thought I was dealing with a car salesman and not a lawyer. Amazing that they would sour a relationship forever over a $200 deposit.

Bake in Wisconsin

1 - 11 of 11 Posts