Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So with our recent Pilot purchase, we bought the black grille trim and had the dealer install it. We are satisfied with the result. However, when I asked them where is our original (chrome) grille that came with the vehicle, he said they had to break something and rip it apart in order to install the new one, so therefore they just discarded it. Does that sound even right at all? My friend told me they owe me the value of that original grille since I paid for the vehicle and added investment for the new grille?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Mechanics wanna work fast. They broke it on purpose to get it out faster, simple as that. You should have told them up front you wanted it then they'd have to do it right. They'll always, break, cut, whatever to go faster.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I just took a look at the instructions. Man, that’s a lot of steps to remove the grill. If I remember correctly it was a five to ten minute process on my 2005 Pilot. How things change. My money is on that there are probably some retainer clips, etc. which got broken. I’d give a light tug on the parts surrounding the grill, as well as a visual inspection, to verify everything is secure.

As for the old grill, if you didn’t ask for it back before the job was performed you have a bit less clout getting some compensation. But it never hurts to ask nicely and see what they can do for you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you everyone for your input, I tend to agree with road2cycle that although we did not agree upon it before the process, it shouldn't hurt to nicely ask and provide arguments why we thing the value should be accounted for. I will see what I can do.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Thank you everyone for your input, I tend to agree with road2cycle that although we did not agree upon it before the process, it shouldn't hurt to nicely ask and provide arguments why we thing the value should be accounted for. I will see what I can do.

Thanks again.
Or i would like to throw this one out there. There was nothing wrong with the original grill and they just said that and now the mechanic or someone at the dealership is now trying to sell it for some extra cash!!!!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Respectable shops return your parts when they service your vehicle.

The idea that they broke the grill taking it out either points to incompetence, or theivery. I lean to the latter. Your grill is already on ebay and the mechanic pocketing a few hundred.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Sounds like you have the same quality techs my town has. Took the techs in my city three tries to get window pinch fit trim to actually stay put on my 18 accord. Let’s see pics if new grill is it the black edition ? How much

·
Registered
5 Posts
So with our recent Pilot purchase, we bought the black grille trim and had the dealer install it. We are satisfied with the result. However, when I asked them where is our original (chrome) grille that came with the vehicle, he said they had to break something and rip it apart in order to install the new one, so therefore they just discarded it. Does that sound even right at all? My friend told me they owe me the value of that original grille since I paid for the vehicle and added investment for the new grille?
That's just horsesh*t. Grilles (like all the body plastic that is exposed to risk of accident damage) are designed to be removable and replaceable without damaging anything in order to execute the procedure. Call them on it (like someone else said, print out and take those instructions with you and go straight to the service manager, and if he continues the BS-ing, escalate straight to the GM of the dealership) and demand payment. Small claims court is an option if they won't come across for you, and your claim would be airtight.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Agreed with your friend.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Some states have laws requiring them to give you your parts back upon request. Check your state laws and if the law is on your side, demand they give you a new grill. I watch an attorney online by the name of Steve Lehto. He's a lemon law attorney in Michigan and he did a video about this very topic a while back. Basically, if the law requires them to return your parts on request, they are obligated to do so. It's possible they owe you a new grill if they broke it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Don here. I hate to say this, but, if you look at page 7/9 of the instruction manual referenced for removing the grill, " Do not reuse" removed grill. Evidently Honda wants the removed grill to be discard. Sad to say, as I normally feel as if most Honda shops are in it for the fast buck and not the customer.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
In Ontario, Canada, where I live, you can demand the old parts to be returned at the time of quote and the shop must deliver on that. Otherwise they contravene the consumer protection law.
I guess that if you had not requested the old parts returned when you made an appointment, they are under no obligation to return them and off the hook. I believe that is just.

·
Registered
141 Posts
In Ontario, Canada, where I live, you can demand the old parts to be returned at the time of quote and the shop must deliver on that. Otherwise they contravene the consumer protection law.
I guess that if you had not requested the old parts returned when you made an appointment, they are under no obligation to return them and off the hook. I believe that is just.
California is the same way...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts