Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really don't even want to talk about this subject but I want to be prepared just in case.

The closest thread I could find was...
http://www.piloteers.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=843&highlight=accident

but that doesn't pertain to what I want to know about...

If the unspeakable happens I want to know where to take it or [shudder] have it towed. :eek:

My dealer has a body shop... would that generally be a good place to go. What if I'm 150 miles from home? Then what? The closest dealer? Bite the bullet and have it towed home?

Any thoughts or better yet experience out there?:eek:

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
florida_guy said:
If the unspeakable happens I want to know where to take it or [shudder] have it towed. :eek:

My dealer has a body shop... would that generally be a good place to go. What if I'm 150 miles from home? Then what? The closest dealer? Bite the bullet and have it towed home?

Any thoughts or better yet experience out there?:eek:
Way too many variables.

Whose insurance, is the shop good, how bad it is, is it mostly straightening or replacement work.

If the dealer's shop has a good reputation then it is probably the best bet.

They are more likely to replace rather than repair questionable parts.
They probably have the body repair manual in addition to the service manuals.
If they screw anything else up (electrical, mechanical, etc.), they have access to Honda mechanics to help fix it.

However they probably don't do as much work for picky clientele as a high end independent shop. So they are probably not as good at straightening metal, laying down perfect paint, etc.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
One of the things I asked about when I went to new owner orientation with my dealer last year was their participation in my insurance company's direct repair program. They do participate, which means that there's usually no paperwork involved on my part other than a signature, they've pre-negotiated rates, don't usually question the estimate, and under certain circumstances (such as an accident caused by an uninsured driver) waive the deductible.

I've used another body shop in the area that's also in the program, repairs all makes and models, and does excellent work.

I would think that some of this might be directed/dictated by the at-fault party's insurance, that is, whether you have to get several estimates and get a check for the lowest one, or go to a drive-in claims center (if you can) and get a check on the spot, etc.

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
I have worked in dealer and non-dealer body shops. The quality of work was much better in the dealer shops. They were more careful and took more time to do a quality job. The independent body shops didn't take as much time, and weren't as worried about quality. I have since always taken my vehicles to dealer shops and never had any issues.

:blahblah:

·
Registered
152 Posts
I (unfortunately) have experience - my 2000 Accord needed major repairs ($12,000) last year after a lady ran a stop sign right in front of me.

The cops had it towed (flatbed) to a local place, and I had AAA tow (flatbed) it to my dealer's body repair shop about 40 miles away (my insurance payed for the first tow, and AAA Plus has free 150 mile towing so it didn't cost me anything.)

I agree with N_Jay - My dealer's body shop is pretty good and they use 100% Honda parts. I also knew that when I traded it in I would be buying a Honda, and if the salesman said anything about the repair work I would just walk them over to the body shop. I also agree with N_Jay that while they did very very good work, it wasn't perfect. Everyone I showed it to was very impressed and said they couldn't tell that any work was done, but I saw some very small imperfections in the paint and some other minor things.

I also agree with jay - As it turned out, the dealer body shop has a direct repair program with my insurance company and that did make things easier. There were no hassles about the repairs, even when the initial agreement was under $10,000 and almost $2000 more damage was found after everything was taken apart and mostly put back together.

When I traded it in for my Pilot, the salesman told me that having the dealer fix it helped with the trade-in value - he knew it was fixed right with the right parts. Of course he also added that no repair is perfect, and even if it was, the value of a car is decreased when it's been in a major accident (not a clean title). And unfortunately New Jersey is one of the states where the law says that you can't recover that decreased value, either from insurance or the party at fault. So even doing everything "right", I got screwed for something that wasn't my fault.

MarkB :bangh:

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
florida_guy said:
...My dealer has a body shop... would that generally be a good place to go. What if I'm 150 miles from home? Then what? The closest dealer? Bite the bullet and have it towed home?...
No matter the distance, always make sure it gets moved on a flatbed. If you get towed by the front or rear, you will screw up the transmission or the VTM.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Art said:
I have worked in dealer and non-dealer body shops.
Well, that certainly gives you an insight that most of us don' t have. Thanks for sharing it.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Re: Dealer Body Shop - Accident

tim.s said:
No matter the distance, always make sure it gets moved on a flatbed. If you get towed by the front or rear, you will screw up the transmission or the VTM.
What about towing from the back?

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for everyone's input so far. I welcome other views confirming or opposing the consensus so far that the dealer's are better.

I'm still wondering about the issue of me being 150 miles from home. Do I have a place near the accident fix it or have it towed home to the dealer I bought it from?

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Dealer Body Shop - Accident

florida_guy said:
What about towing from the back?
HMMM, a four letter acronym comes to mind . . . . RTFM :2:

Honda says to ALWAYS flat bed tow the Pilot and CRV.

There are instructions for trailering, as in towing behind a travel trailer. In that case you must have all four wheel on the ground and go through a special prep procedure.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: Re: Re: Re: Dealer Body Shop - Accident

N_Jay said:
HMMM, a four letter acronym comes to mind . . . . RTFM :2:

Honda says to ALWAYS flat bed tow the Pilot and CRV.

There are instructions for trailering, as in towing behind a travel trailer. In that case you must have all four wheel on the ground and go through a special prep procedure.
Wow! Thanks for pointing that out! I read the whole manual on the plane to and from my trip 2 days after the Pilot. I never saw that. I would have remembered something like that. I will have to look again.

That means if I ever have to call AAA I have to insist on a flatbed, huh? That will probably mean longer wait times.

I assume that if you just need to get pulled out of a ditch like I did the last time I called AAA that a regular truck will do?

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Dealer Body Shop - Accident

florida_guy said:
Wow! Thanks for pointing that out! I read the whole manual on the plane to and from my trip 2 days after the Pilot. I never saw that. I would have remembered something like that. I will have to look again.

That means if I ever have to call AAA I have to insist on a flatbed, huh? That will probably mean longer wait times.

I assume that if you just need to get pulled out of a ditch like I did the last time I called AAA that a regular truck will do?
Recovery and towing are two different things.

No problem getting pulled out of a ditch. Typically all 4 (or at least 3) of the wheels are on the ground anyhow. It is not the same as spinning two wheels while the other two are stnading still.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Dealer Body Shop - Accident

N_Jay said:
Recovery and towing are two different things.

No problem getting pulled out of a ditch. Typically all 4 (or at least 3) of the wheels are on the ground anyhow. It is not the same as spinning two wheels while the other two are stnading still.
O.K. Thanks for the clarification. Obviously a 4WD thing then.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts