Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dealer adjustment on service charges when bringing in your own oil/filter Does your dealer adjust the service fee they charge you when you bring in your own oil/filter at all? I just had my 24,000KM (15,000mi) service and had brought in my own oil/filter for them to use.

I just noticed now that there weren't any adjustments/deductions in the invoice at all. I plan on calling up the dealer to inquire about it, but just wanted to find out here from those of you who have the delaer use the oil/filter you bring for them.

I know it won't be much at all, since the Honda OEM oil/filter doesn't cost much, but still, I expected to see some kind of credit or adjustment on my invoice and the fee they charged me. This scheduled service cost me $278.50CDN.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
You should have asked first.

·
Registered
920 Posts

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
The bill should be itemized so you can determine what you were charged for the oil and filter. But what I've been told is that the service "package" pricing is already discounted and if you break up the "package" the price may go up.

One time I went in for service between two intervals (late for the 24k, early for 36k) and wanted to get only part of each package. The service rep figured the price separately and it was about $150 more to break up the set service packages.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
tim, thank you very much for your helpful answer. The dealer said pretty much the samething. But I was told that for just oil changes, there would be fee reduction. I'll be sure to inquire about it though, next time I get it done.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
I wouldn't put it past the dealers around here to charge a "convenience fee" for keeping track that they were to use your oil and filter, on top of the package price for performing the service.

When I had service on other cars done at a trusted gas station, oil changes were $12 if you brought in your own oil and filter, and $18 if you got their oil and filter. That was quit a while ago. With the Pilot, I just take it to the dealer and they use the recommended weight Honda oil and oem filter.

·
Premium Member
2,040 Posts
tim.s said:
The bill should be itemized so you can determine what you were charged for the oil and filter. But what I've been told is that the service "package" pricing is already discounted and if you break up the "package" the price may go up.

One time I went in for service between two intervals (late for the 24k, early for 36k) and wanted to get only part of each package. The service rep figured the price separately and it was about $150 more to break up the set service packages.
I don't get how, unless that's just the policy of that dealership. We always discount services for items not done, if say we do a 30K, but not an oil change because the customer did it themselves, brought in their own oil and filter, etc.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I'm sure the dealership policies vary, this dealership was just not as flexible. The 24k service was one package price and the 36k service was another package price, but I wanted only part of each so I couldn't get the "discounted prices" for each item.

I guess it's like buying sandwich, side, and drink separately instead of ordering the "#5 combo".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts