Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately my Pilot's battery goes dead at the slightest provocation. Just leaving the doors open for ten minutes (like when cleaning the interior) will drain the battery enough to require a jump. The warning lights come on intermittently. Oddly enough they always seem to come on when I drop my baby off at child care. We suspect the government is conducting secret experiments in a concrete bunker under her neighborhood. Barring that explanation, does anyone have experience with this kind of problem?

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Sounds like a bad cell. You might be able to get it replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
tledjazz said:
We suspect the government is conducting secret experiments in a concrete bunker under her neighborhood. Barring that explanation, does anyone have experience with this kind of problem?
No, that's gotta be it.

I don't think the OEM battery is that good. A few times when I inadvertently pressed the PANIC button, I noticed the pitch of the horn start to drop after the 3rd or 4th beep. I don't know how long before it shuts off automatically, but I wonder if my battery would make it.

I post this warning every time I see a "dead battery" thread: Don't leave the interior master light switch in the ON position. Whatever lights are on, will stay on indefinitely, which is just dumb. The only automatic shut-off is a dead battery.

·
Registered
97 Posts
What Battery is Best?

What battery would folks put in their Pilot after the OEM battery fails?

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Re: What Battery is Best?

rbetz said:
What battery would folks put in their Pilot after the OEM battery fails?
Under warranty, just let them put in another Honda (Delco I think).
After that whatever is ceapest at Costco or Sams club.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Optima battery

Seeing how much I use my RES, and plans for audio upgrades, would it be worth upgrading to an Optima battery?

·
Registered
13 Posts
My battery went dead last week. I left the door open and the radio playing for about 15 to 25 mins and my battery did not have enough charge to start my 03 pilot. I had to get a jump start. I guest pilot has a lot of elecrical stuff running in the backgroud when the key is in the position 2 and not started.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
New battery

I took my rig in for the 30K service. The dealer replaced the battery under warranty. I think that'll take care of it.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Re: Re: Dead battery

krygny said:

I post this warning every time I see a "dead battery" thread: Don't leave the interior master light switch in the ON position. Whatever lights are on, will stay on indefinitely, which is just dumb. The only automatic shut-off is a dead battery.
I just got my 2004 Pilot EX on 11/08. One of the things I noticed about it was that when I was unloading stuff from the rear and I took a short break, when I came back, the interior lights had shut off automatically. I closed the door and then reopened it and the lights went through another timed cycle before shutting off again.

I didn't test anything with the Key in the 2 position, but if I were doing anything without the engine running, I would use the 'accessory' position, the '1' position.

hope that helps

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Dead battery

allanbiats said:
I just got my 2004 Pilot EX on 11/08. One of the things I noticed about it was that when I was unloading stuff from the rear and I took a short break, when I came back, the interior lights had shut off automatically. I closed the door and then reopened it and the lights went through another timed cycle before shutting off again.

I didn't test anything with the Key in the 2 position, but if I were doing anything without the engine running, I would use the 'accessory' position, the '1' position.

hope that helps
The master light switch overrides everything . If you inadvertently push it to the ON position with your knee, all the interior lights will turn on and stay on. (See page 113 of the Owner's Manual.)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I would add the SEARS DieHard Gold as the replacement. Have actually contemplated installing one even with only 12,000 miles on my vehicle.
Have had many years of very favorable experiences with DieHArds and Sears does stand behind them.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Dead battery

krygny said:
The master light switch overrides everything . If you inadvertently push it to the ON position with your knee, all the interior lights will turn on and stay on. (See page 113 of the Owner's Manual.)
That switch is explained on page 79 of my 2004 Pilot Owner's Manual. It does not have a similar statement about the interior lights remaining on continuously until the switch is turned back off (or until the battery runs down). The only wording about the 'on' position is: 'All the individual map lights come on.'

I did try to test it by opening the driver's door and putting the switch on the On position and closing it again. I left it on for about fifteen minutes and the lights were still on.

If I remember reading correctly, everything that was timed would shut off after ten minutes, so I have to conclude that it works the same in the 04 models.

It just isn't explained the same way in the 04 manuals. I would much rather they have it on a timed circuit.

hth

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
grfpilot said:
I would add the SEARS DieHard Gold as the replacement. Have actually contemplated installing one even with only 12,000 miles on my vehicle.
Have had many years of very favorable experiences with DieHArds and Sears does stand behind them.
I would consider an aftermarket replacement after this battery dies. After all, it was free (warranty) and is working fine now.

I keep my light switch in the middle position. It's timed to go out after the doors are closed. I park on the street so the few times a light was left on a neighbor let us know.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Help For A.D.B. (After Dead Battery)

I was so excited to drive home on my new Michelin Cross terrains last night that I forgot to remove the key when I got home. This morning - dead battery. No problem - jump started and recharged just fine.
:bonk: :bangh:

Now the aftermath....

1. The yellow engine malfunction light stays on. Acoording to the manual p.208 this indicates some kind of emission learning procedure. Is this dangerous to drive with this light on, as page 207 indicates, or do I just put up with it until the learning is complete (3 days?)?:8:

2. The radio is not functioning. Apparently I need the anti-theft code to get it going again. Where do I find this? Is it pre-printed on a document or key tag? Or should it be written in a manual somewhere by the dealer?:8:

3. I've read hear about the "idle learning procedure". Do I have to go through that whole process now, or do I wait to see if my gas mileage drops to 5mpg first?:8:

Sure seems complicated for such a common occurrence....????

Thanks for any help/experiences/ideas/suggestions.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Re: Help For A.D.B. (After Dead Battery)

Pairallel said:
...snip

2. The radio is not functioning. Apparently I need the anti-theft code to get it going again. Where do I find this? Is it pre-printed on a document or key tag? Or should it be written in a manual somewhere by the dealer?:8:

When I needed the radio code I found it on a small slip of paper (maybe even sticker like material) maybe 2 inches by 3 inches in size in the folder my dealer gave me with the owner's manual and warranty booklets.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Re: Help For A.D.B. (After Dead Battery)

Pairallel said:
I was so excited to drive home on my new Michelin Cross terrains last night that I forgot to remove the key when I got home. This morning - dead battery. No problem - jump started and recharged just fine.
:bonk: :bangh:

Now the aftermath....

1. The yellow engine malfunction light stays on. Acoording to the manual p.208 this indicates some kind of emission learning procedure. Is this dangerous to drive with this light on, as page 207 indicates, or do I just put up with it until the learning is complete (3 days?)?:8:

3. I've read hear about the "idle learning procedure". Do I have to go through that whole process now, or do I wait to see if my gas mileage drops to 5mpg first?:8:

Sure seems complicated for such a common occurrence....????

Thanks for any help/experiences/ideas/suggestions.
Read 04 Owner's Manual on page 73 in AUTO REVERSE section. Until you reset the window the auto open/close function does not work.

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
The battery problem was noted during the Edmund's long-term test of the Pilot.

At the time, these persnickety automotive experts were using the parked Pilot to power a radar gun for a couple of hours when the car "mysteriously lost nearly all cranking ability." Unfortunately, these experts in automobile analysis did not have jumper cables.

Too funny:
http://www.edmunds.com/new/2003/honda/pilot/100076609/roadtestarticle.html?articleId=76080&editorialpage=page005

Moral of the story, keep jumper cables and a cigarette lighter starter battery with you.

PS: This was the same infamous installment of the Edmunds long term test in which our beloved experts seemingly blamed the Pilot for a fender bender "in a rather narrow alley in Long Beach where the Pilot suffered its first brush with not-so-greatness."

PPS: In another installment, they also didn't like the dealer installed RES because, without reference to printed instructions, it was not as easy to figure out as most factory installed units.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Re: Re: Help For A.D.B. (After Dead Battery)

tak said:
Read 04 Owner's Manual on page 73 in AUTO REVERSE section. Until you reset the window the auto open/close function does not work.
I had the same problem when my battery was on the blink. The dlr checked it when the battery was replaced, but the light still came on. Since then it has stopped on its own. Go fig.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Re: Help For A.D.B.

Thanks for the input...so far, got the auto window back to normal and the emission light (engine malfunction) went off in about 20 minutes.

Still need to figure out the radio code - can't find it in my paperwork. I guess this will be a good test of the dealer's recordkeeping system.

Also need to figure out if the idle learn procedure is required. I will probably do it anyway - couldn't hurt I suppose.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
grfpilot said:
Sears $UCKS!! In my last car, I replaced a 5yr Diehard at 3 yrs with another 5yr and that one only lasted 3 weeks. The replacement for that only lasted 1 day. :eek: :3: I got going at an intersection, and my whole dash lit up then went dark. Of course the car did not run either.

the bad part was that it died after Sears closed. I needed my car for work tomorrow. I went to the local 24 hour Wal-mart and bought one of theirs. Worked great. The best part was that if I needed to replace it at 2 AM, no problem.

oh and while I am at it, the tire and brake service $ucks too, well at least here in my area anyway. I will now step off my :soapbox:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts