Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I installed my Morimoto X.DRL 5 Daytime Running Lights onto my Pilot. I mounted them into the top horizontal grill slat, on the outer edges as close to the headlights as possible. I used the brackets that came with the X.DRL 5, and applied some 3M VHB tape to the back of the bracket. After cleaning the grill to remove all dirt and grime, I removed the protective backing on the VHB tape, and pressed the lights into position.

They are wired into a line coming from the battery, which is controlled by a Bosch 75A relay. The relay is activated by a "T" tap into the front cigarette lighter outlet. Thus, the DRLs come on only when the ACC key position is active.

I ran wiring for an illuminated rocker switch to the inside the cabin which allows me to shut off the DRLs if I don't want them on for some reason.

I'll post links to the parts I used in case anyone is interested in doing something similar.

Parts Used:
  1. Morimoto X.DRL 5 LED Daytime Running Lights
  2. Heavy Duty 12 AWG Wiring Harness Kit with Rocker Switch
  3. Bosch 75 amp 12 volt Relay
  4. 3M VHB All Weather Mounting Tape - 1in x 15ft

Video:

Photos:

A comparison of the Morimoto X.DRL 5 to some Alpena Accent Lights. Morimoto are up top, and the Alpena are below. I was deciding which to use, and thus had both sets out to compare.

I wanted to use the Alpena lights as they were very small and easy to hide under the top grill slat, however their quality was extremely poor. If you were looking at the Alpena, don't bother with them as they are complete junk. My first set was defective. My second set worked until I installed them, then a few LEDs went out and the other didn't work at all.

001.png

002.png

003.png

004.png

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,303 Posts
You'll be the envy of Camp Zama.

[Used to live a little ways down the Odakyu line from there. Thank you for your service.]

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[Used to live a little ways down the Odakyu line from there. Thank you for your service.]
I haven't served in the military. My father did, but I haven't, and thus can't accept your thanks for something I have not done; as that would be dishonorable by me to let you continue thinking that I had served and to not say anything. Those that have served definitely deserve our appreciation.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
Looks good, my personal preference would have been to mount them in the bumper opening but your installation appears to be clean. Those Morimoto products are HIGH QUALITY and put out a TON of light, certainly an excellent DRL.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
my personal preference would have been to mount them in the bumper opening
I considered this location too, but found it to be less ideal for a few reasons. If we consider the purpose of DRL, they are to help the vehicle be seen. We as humans experience visual perspective, and determine the distance of objects from ourselves based on how far away objects appear along our horizon. If two lights appear close together and down low, we would think they are further off and away from us. As vehicles approach while facing us, their headlights appear to separate further apart since they are closer. They also rise higher above the horizon; all of this due to perspective.

In order to let others recognize the imminent oncoming presence of your vehicle, the ideal placement of DRL is a situation in which they are mounted high off the ground, and as far apart as possible. Replicating the placement of headlights is absolute best.

If the DRL are too close together horizontally, then one could mistakenly believe that you, the oncoming vehicle is further away than you really are. The same thing applies to having the DRL mounted vertically. If the lights are too low on the vehicle, thus further down on the horizon in perspective, one could mistakenly believe the vehicle is further away than it really is.

The ideal location is usually as close to the headlights as possible.

On this vehicle, I was limited in how far apart I could space the lights. I would have liked tk have them spaced further apart horizontally, however there was no opening I could use to do so unless I was to choose a position much lower vertically. I considered putting them near the fog lights, however was unable to do so as there was not sufficient flat and stable surface area where with to mount them below. If I had put them there below, the plastic underneath the fog lights would have been too flexible; when the wind was shaking the car at highway speeds, the lights would end up shaking as well, thus appearing to flicker as well as be compromised in their secure installation, and likely end up falling off even if screwed in. Additionally, the shape of the plastic structure on the vehicle would have limited me to mounting the brackets in such a way that the lights ended up pointing out to the sides by 30 degrees, thus looking very strange; one light would appear bright while another appeared dull, depending on one’s perspective.

I would have liked them to be in the headlight housings, or right under them, but it wasn’t possible without surface mounting them, which I decided not to do. If one really wants to, they can purchase a different kind of DRL. There are some LED strips which are contained in a flexible and translucent silicone and come with an adhesive. They can be formed into any shape and wrap around the bottom or top of the headlamp housings if you wish. I think that would have been what I had done if I had not already purchased the Morimoto X.DRL 5. The flexible diffused strips look good, especially the better quality ones.

·
Registered
9,303 Posts
I haven't served in the military. My father did, but I haven't, and thus can't accept your thanks for something I have not done; as that would be dishonorable by me to let you continue thinking that I had served and to not say anything. Those that have served definitely deserve our appreciation.
Appreciation to your father, then.

Really nice setup. Great illumination.

Didn't realize the snow had already started flying near some of my old hangouts. Had a friend who lived near Sobudai-mae Station and there was a great pool bar there named MacArthur's that had restored '50s Chevys inside next to the pool tables.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@cintocrunch I'm not sure yet... but I may add these into the headlamp housings along the lower front edges. If I do end up doing so, I'll come update my post.

Didn't realize the snow had already started flying near some of my old hangouts. Had a friend who lived near Sobudai-mae Station and there was a great pool bar there named MacArthur's that had restored '50s Chevys inside next to the pool tables.
My location on my profile is fictitious, so I have no idea if it's snowing or not at the place you're thinking of.

·
Registered
9,303 Posts
OPSEC, gotcha.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts