Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Something around my radio has been rattling the last few days. Last night driving to the gym my fiance noticed that the headunit it self is not seated straight. If you guys and gals would could you please look at your headunits and tell me if:

A. the bottom right corner of the radio is pushed out a touch further than the left side?

B. If you have a rattle in the area of your dash at all?

The piece that is actually making the noise if the large cover that goes around the buttons next to the radio. I think since the headunit is not straight they are touching and vibrating. If I push on the thin piece of plastic just above the cd player it will stop making the noise.

Could someone with he service manual send me an exploded view of the center dash? I would like to take the headunti out and put it in straight but it would be much easier if I had a drawing to go off of.

Thank You

·
Registered
900 Posts
You have EXL but not RES right?
That makes a difference in how the radio and dash area are laid out

We have EXL-RES. No rattles.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea havasu I have EX-L no RES/ no NAV . It seems that a screw came lose and the headunit shifted or they just put it in a touch off center when it was tightened down. Either way it should not be hard to fix. If someone could hook me up with a exploded view or something on that area it would make it much easier.

I know this was posted awhile back: where can I get the service manual? Which one is the best..if there is more than 1?

·
Registered
919 Posts
Not sure if it will help or not, but I did find these:

Attachments

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Those might do the trick. They give me an idea where all the bolts and mounts are. I know my past experience I would probably end up ripping half the dash apart to find the 1 screw I needed to get to. I'll keep it handy when I take it apart.

Thanks xyzzy

·
Registered
10 Posts
I noticed that too

Paul,

I also figured out where the FM/AM/CD rattle noice are from the day I posted my question. I already knew the little plastic piece above the CD that makes the noice but did not notice the bottom right corner of the radio is pushed out a touch further than the left side. I'll check it tonight when I am back home.

In addition, I have another rattle noice coming from the inside of the dashboard in front of the driver side. Somewhere inside the Speedometer and tachometer. I even squak or laid down facing upward and got near the accelerator area to check if there is any wire/cable that cause the rattle, but I could not find anything. Do you have this problem?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
kcsen: No I have not noticed a rattle on the driver side.

I didn't get a chance last night to straighten out the head unit. I will try to get that done this weekend to see if it helps.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Paul,

Got my Pilot sent in to the dealership for fixing the rattles and install Auto dimming mirror. The rattle inside the driver side dashboard is fixed. According to what the service manager described to me, there is a piece of metal in between the suspension and the tower and it's surface is somewhat not smooth. The technician took it out and got it fixed. I am not so sure what the exact fix is . As for the rattle in the stereo head unit, the service manager took my Pilot for a ride with me and heard the rattle noice. However, when he took the technician out for a ride, it didn't produce the noice and plus it was almost their closing time . I have scheduled to bring it in again on next Tuesday. Hopefully, they can identify the cause and fix it. I'll update you.

:( :confused:

·
Registered
10 Posts
The dealership has got the rattle noice in the stereo head unit area resolved. He pulled out the head unit and put some adhersive foam stripes on the spots where have contacts. He then installed the headunit back. So far, I have not heard any rattles. :2:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Noise

I had the same problem: a squeaky/ringing noise from the mid console, intermittent, somewhat temperature and RPM dependent. Plastic on plastic vs. electronic component in or around radio/navigation system/climate control assembly. Lots of silicone spray and two trips to the dealer did not help. Initially, the dealership removed the plastic panels in the mid console and applied some insulation tape, a dedicated Honda product for this purpose, I was told. This did not help. The third trip was successful (so far). They said that they disassembled the mid console by removing the head unit, ect., and then put it back together with the insulation. It feels much more solid in that touching of any of the components does not produce any squeaks as opposed to previously. I hope this will last.

Kcsen, thank you for your help. It is based on your post about the "little plastic piece above the CD" that I could point them in the right direction.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have rattle near tweeter below windshield

I have rattle near drivers side dash board and around tweeter area. Dealer do not want to fix this. I have banged this several times. It's annoying while driving. No help.

·
Registered
10 Posts
hondalover

I had that rattle noice on two different spots, one near the driver side dashboard and the other was inside the stereo head unit area. The dealership got the one near the driver side dashboard fixed and he said the noice was actually coming from the left wheel suspension area. If you need help, you can call my dealership service department and ask for Mark (918-496-7833). Mention my name who owns a Pilot with rattle noice. Asked him to describe to you where exactly the noice was coming and how he fixed it.

As for the noice inside the stereo head unit, they got it fixed on Tuesday, but it came back again last night, not frequent.

Kenneth Sen

1 - 13 of 13 Posts