Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my Pilot in the beginning of January. I'm not sure if this is normal, when I turn my headlights on, the backlighting on the climate and radio go off. Also the dashboard dimmer does not work. I have the navagation system , and my salesperson told me to adjust the lights through that - no dice. Does anyone else lose the backlighting?:confused:

·
Registered
288 Posts
That does not sound right. My father has an '03 Acura CLS w/ Navi and the dimmer in the Navi only dims that screen; the dash, radio, and climate control lights are all controlled by the dimmer knob on the dashboard. This should be the same for the Pilot. I would have your dealer take a look at it.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Off or Just Dimmer?

Normally, the radio/clock, climate controls, and odometer will go dimmer with headlights on. Dash light setting so low they actually appear to go out? [During day, sunlight can wash them out if headlights are on.]

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They go off, as impossible to read at night, when the headlights are on. Before I turn my headlights on - they have that beautiful glow - on come the headlights and off they go - wierd, huh?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Something's Amiss

Sounds like something's amiss in the automatic dimmer adjustment [when headlights are on] circuit.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Slightly Off Topic..

I keep forgetting to turn my headlights ON because the dashboard is lit nicely all the time...

In all my other cars I new it was time for the headlights when I could no longer see the dash easily..

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
737 Posts
This kills me too- I operate the same way, if I can't see the instruments clearly, it's time to turn on the lights. I can see myself driving around at dusk and forgetting to turn on the lights.

·
Registered
106 Posts
This is normal. When you turn your headlights on then Navi screen thinks it is dark outside and dims the screen and ambient lights accordingly. What you need to do is turn the knob that is on the dash,, the one you push to rotate between trip a and trip b, with the headlights on if you rotate the knob to the right you will here a quiet beep and the Navi screen will go back to daylight mode, remember to rotate the knob back to the orginal position so when you turn the lights on at night the system will dim back to evenig light option. Hope this works.

·
Registered
605 Posts
sac84371 said:
This is normal. When you turn your headlights on then Navi screen thinks it is dark outside and dims the screen and ambient lights accordingly. What you need to do is turn the knob that is on the dash,, the one you push to rotate between trip a and trip b, with the headlights on if you rotate the knob to the right you will here a quiet beep and the Navi screen will go back to daylight mode, remember to rotate the knob back to the orginal position so when you turn the lights on at night the system will dim back to evenig light option. Hope this works.
Or you can press SETUP on the Nav screen and change the mode from "AUTO" to "DAY".

·
Registered
21 Posts
triddirt said:
Slightly Off Topic..

I keep forgetting to turn my headlights ON because the dashboard is lit nicely all the time...

In all my other cars I new it was time for the headlights when I could no longer see the dash easily..

Any suggestions?
Same here. And to make matters worse my Pilot replaces a Pontiac Montana which had automatic headlights. I've caught myself driving without my Pilot's lights on a couple of times now :eek:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Did anyone ever find a solution the the dash light issue? I have the same issue as the original post. At night, when you turn the lights on, the radio controls have a slight ilumination; the climate control does not light up at all. I try and adjust with the dimmer knob on the instrument cluster. Does not work. The dimmer changes nothing.

So, I'm thinking there is some sort of electrical issue; since the radio slightly lights up, but the climate control doesn't. Is the dimmer knob a seperate issue? Sounds like a project.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts