Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed a small bulge on the dashboard of my 2019 touring (passenger side near the airbag). I had it checked by the dealership and the service advisor told me that he will discuss it with american honda. He told me that if it was his car, he would not have the dashboard replaced for aesthetic reasons as it may result to more problems for me - rattles. I just wanted to get your opinions. I also have them check the chirping sound from the engine but he told me that it’s the direct injection sound which is normal. After consulting with a technician, they showed me a service bulletin stating that honda is still working on a fix for the 2019 pilot and some later models of the ridgeline and the oddy. The tsbs for the chirp that I was able to obtain online - for the timing belt and fuel pump - all relates to the 2016 or 2017 pilots. Has any 2019 owner had this problem and was the chirp fixed under warranty?

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'm debating a very similar thing with cosmetic dash parts... the matte black trim on the passenger side dash that runs between the piano black part and the glove box on my 19 Touring has a very slight circular discolored area which seems to have a bit of a lighter grayish ring around it, 3" in diameter. It's pretty hard to see, but once you do, you can't un-see it, and it bugs me all the time now.

I don't know if I want to get it replaced though because they're likely to scratch up the piano gloss trim doing so and as you note, taking out any factory trim part can lead to rattles, so I'll probably just live with it. The dealer has said they will try to buff it and improve the look next time I'm in for service, so we'll see if that works at all before making a final decision.

·
Registered
15 Posts
;)I had the same dash issue on my 2017 Honda Pilot, did not want the dealership taking apart the dash for replacement. Maybe damage or scratch and rattles after replacement of new dash pad. The dash pad bulges on passenger side got worse as time when on. I was not happy with this on a new car, decided to have the dealership replace the dash pad which was still under warranty. The dealership did a good job without any damages or having any rattles after repair. It took one week for the Honda service dept to get ok from Honda headquarter to approve the replacement. There is alway the chance the new dash pad will start to distort again in the future, maybe poor quality material used during making of the dashpad. So far no bulges yet.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
;)I had the same dash issue on my 2017 Honda Pilot, did not want the dealership taking apart the dash for replacement. Maybe damage or scratch and rattles after replacement of new dash pad. The dash pad bulges on passenger side got worse as time when on. I was not happy with this on a new car, decided to have the dealership replace the dash pad which was still under warranty. The dealership did a good job without any damages or having any rattles after repair. It took one week for the Honda service dept to get ok from Honda headquarter to approve the replacement. There is alway the chance the new dash pad will start to distort again in the future, maybe poor quality material used during making of the dashpad. So far no bulges yet.
Thanks for sharing your experience. I’m seriously considering having the dashboard replaced under warranty. The airbag housing is also becoming noticeable.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Brought this bulge issue up again with the dealer and they said it’s within honda’s specifications which is BS. I’m planning to call honda corporate but I dont have my hopes up. I think since it’s not a safety issue they refused to get it fixed.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
I've removed and replaced a 2017 dashboard on my rebuilt pilot. Saying it will rattle after the work is done is not an issue. I guess it would be possible to cause scratches somewhere if they we careless. Body shops do this work all the time. I say their trying to talk you out of some thing that should be waranty work.

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What they’re saying now is that the imperfection is normal or within honda specification which is bs. They brought in a 2019 pilot to compare and they saw the difference but they wouldnt admit that it’s something that needed a warranty claim. They said it’s due to the tabs that holds onto the passenger airbag. I think what they’re saying is that since it’s not a safety issue, they will not do anything about it. I don’t know if bringing it up with honda corporate is going to help.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
What they’re saying now is that the imperfection is normal or within honda specification which is bs. They brought in a 2019 pilot to compare and they saw the difference but they wouldnt admit that it’s something that needed a warranty claim. They said it’s due to the tabs that holds onto the passenger airbag. I think what they’re saying is that since it’s not a safety issue, they will not do anything about it. I don’t know if bringing it up with honda corporate is going to help.
It's a cosmetic defect when it was made. They should replace it. Here's the underside.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Exactly, they would probably agree to replacing the dash if the bulge becomes the size of a tennis ball.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
At first they try to talk you out of it, now they got an excuse.
It's certainly a manufacturer defect. It's covered. Get acknowledgment in writing.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They wrote something it in my RO, they avoided writing about the cosmetic defect and they just note that its within Honda specifications with no fault in operation. I don’t know if reporting it to honda corporate would do me any good. With this buldge, the chirp and the rattle at startups which dealership said are all normal, i have never been so disappointed on a new car.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
They wrote something it in my RO, they avoided writing about the cosmetic defect and they just note that its within Honda specifications with no fault in operation. I don’t know if reporting it to honda corporate would do me any good. With this buldge, the chirp and the rattle at startups which dealership said are all normal, i have never been so disappointed on a new car.
I believe the chirp has a TSB.
Rattle on start up could be an engine mount. Make them diagnose it. They must fix.
I'd would keep working on the dashboard.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I showed them the tsb (16-013) regarding the chirp, but since the tsb only applies to 16-18 pilots, they have a reason to say that the chirp is normal for 19 (another bs). They say the rattle at startup is normal, especially during colder temperatures.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
I showed them the tsb (16-013) regarding the chirp, but since the tsb only applies to 16-18 pilots, they have a reason to say that the chirp is normal for 19 (another bs). They say the rattle at startup is normal, especially during colder temperatures.
I'm speechless.
Normal defects consumer must live with. ?

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Have you tried taking it to a different dealer, just to see what they say? Might be worth a shot.

I'd do it just out of sheer curiosity.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts