Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2016 Honda Pilot EXL with 93k miles. Today dash lit up like crazy out of nowhere. Emission systems problem, Vehicle Stability Assist Problem, Hill Start Assist Problem, Trailer Stability Assist Problem, Power Steering System (EPS) Problem, and occasionally Keyless Remote Start Problem.
Vehicle seems to drive fine with not changes. Any thoughts??

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
This is likely just a computer glitch. Turn it off and let it set for a few minutes. This happens when you tap the start button instead of holding for one second. Likely no need of a repair. Just be mindful of this when starting your vehicle.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Best case, reset the computer by disconnecting positive battery terminal and see if/when the problem reoccurs. If it does, try to get the code pulled. As Daltongang said, if you're on the original battery it's probably due for replacement.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Original battery?
New battery from other electronic issues back in August 2019 so battery is not even a year old. Nothing done with fuel injectors. Vehicle has been shut off a few times and restarted and problems come up every time it turns on. Drove 3 hours yesterday with the lights on and not apparent issues with how it sounds or drives.

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
New battery from other electronic issues back in August 2019 so battery is not even a year old. Nothing done with fuel injectors. Vehicle has been shut off a few times and restarted and problems come up every time it turns on. Drove 3 hours yesterday with the lights on and not apparent issues with how it sounds or drives.
I'm very confident in saying that it was the glitch I spoke about above.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,298 Posts
After the OP's reply in #6 I am not confident in the glitch you mentioned. OP advised that they drover 3 hours with lights on. They also indicate that the vehicle has been shut off and turned back on a few times with the same results.

Instead of a glitch I suspect a loose electrical connection somewhere on the easy fix end or instead of a computer glitch, a computer issue of some sort it self.

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
After the OP's reply in #6 I am not confident in the glitch you mentioned. OP advised that they drover 3 hours with lights on. They also indicate that the vehicle has been shut off and turned back on a few times with the same results.

Instead of a glitch I suspect a loose electrical connection somewhere on the easy fix end or instead of a computer glitch, a computer issue of some sort it self.
The lights will stay on until you turn it off and let things reset. I'm very confident it's the start button tap glitch.

·
Registered
402 Posts
The lights will stay on until you turn it off and let things reset. I'm very confident it's the start button tap glitch.
I always tap my start button (never hold) and the only time I had this set of errors is when my injectors were going. Just sayin'. OP needs to disconnect battery to clear the error.

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
I always tap my start button (never hold) and the only time I had this set of errors is when my injectors were going. Just sayin'. OP needs to disconnect battery to clear the error.
I've had this happen twice and never disconected the battery or had to have my injectors replaced.
I've seen others who had their start button replaced because of this glitch.
Solution? Hold your start button for 1 second when starting your vehicle.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thought I’d try both and went with long push on start button first and that cleared the lights. I’ve had previous issue of keyless remote start problem and was planning to replace push button start on my own but haven’t done that yet. Hopefully this takes care of the issue for good

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thought I’d try both and went with long push on start button first and that cleared the lights. I’ve had previous issue of keyless remote start problem and was planning to replace push button start on my own but haven’t done that yet. Hopefully this takes care of the issue for good

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
Wife and I still to this day, have not had this problem return by being mindful about pressing button for 1 second.

Reactions: Hondamon

·
Registered
9 Posts
These dash lights have been an anoya
Sorry. An annoyance for 2 years. Plus the emissions system problem light. It’s always triggered by wet weather and a big temperature drop. I finally bought a cheap code reader and just cancel the codes now. I’m convinced the injectors are fine , some small electrical glitch / connection is off, besides , performance has never been an issue so why spend big injector bucks . I am ,though ,very disappointed that Honda has not dealt w this common problem in a responsible way. I will probably not buy another.

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
857 Posts
Sorry. An annoyance for 2 years. Plus the emissions system problem light. It’s always triggered by wet weather and a big temperature drop. I finally bought a cheap code reader and just cancel the codes now. I’m convinced the injectors are fine , some small electrical glitch / connection is off, besides , performance has never been an issue so why spend big injector bucks . I am ,though ,very disappointed that Honda has not dealt w this common problem in a responsible way. I will probably not buy another.
I'm still getting the occasional p0430 code but no misfires or air/fuel codes so I just reset and hope that Honda Canada will come through with the 8yr warranty on the injectors some time soon. I have almost 60k miles on the 16EXL and the injectors should be lasting longer than that.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot EX-L AWD, 265-60-18 Defender LTX M/S
523 Posts
Wet and cold MIGHT have something to with the atmospheric box by rear differential. Check your codes and see what comes up, I forget what mine was but did post it. Honda said it was from my Fluid Film rust preventative coating the vent so I had to pay. Just seems a bit odd to me that a company would add an open vent to emissions system under the car like that. Some people had issues with the same scenario when small spiders decided that was a good home.

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
857 Posts
Just seems a bit odd to me that a company would add an open vent to emissions system under the car like that. Some people had issues with the same scenario when small spiders decided that was a good home.
Do you know for sure that the rear diff vents to the engine evap system. I would think that system would be separated and just vent to atmosphere. I know that some have had other powertrain codes pop up due to that diff. vent being clogged

·
Registered
2019 Pilot EX-L AWD, 265-60-18 Defender LTX M/S
523 Posts
It's not the actual differential with the vent the parts are attached up by the differential. I have pictures on one of the emissions threads. It was called an "atmospheric box" and fuel tank pressure sensor. It did trigger it's own codes.

pictures in THIS thread of where it is.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts