Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a pilot 2019 black edition with 20 inch wheels :) All good!

Now, I want winter mag wheels. Since I already have 245/65 on 17x7 ET50 steel rims with descent rubbers that came with the car when bought it, I'd like to stay in 17".
(See this for OEM vs winter rims: Rim & Tire Size Calculator. Custom Offsets)

BUT..... where can I find wheels that preserve similar scrub ratio? It's like there is nothing after market with 45+ offset!!!

Unless the pilot can manage to go lower and that does not alter too much the handling?

BTW, what is the OEM scrub of the pilot? (positive, negative, zero?) I've read that FWD have negative ratio because it improves braking. What about AWD on the Pilot? So If I lower my offset by 20mm, will it shift from negative offset to positive offset ?

I would like to understand this better with respect to the Pilot..

Thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Additional information:

2019 Pilot suspension diagram (looks like Macpherson strut assembly):

"On front-wheel-drive vehicles, especially those with MacPherson strut suspensions, the scrub radius should typically be negative. Negative scrub radius allows the road forces to toe-out the front tires and reduce torque steer tendencies when accelerating. The manufacturer’s specification will be positive (toe-in) to produce a near-zero dynamic toe. "

From wikipedia:
"MacPherson strut equipped vehicles usually have a negative scrub radius. Even though scrub radius in itself is not directly adjustable, it will be changed if the upper steering axis point or spindle angle is changed when adjusting camber. This is the case on a MacPherson strut which has the camber adjustment at the steering knuckle. Because camber is usually kept within 1/4° side to side, the resulting scrub radius difference is negligible. "

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, How much negative scrub radius does the Pilot have when OEM? If I use a lower ET offset, that will bring the wheel out and therefore moving my scrub radius possibly in the zero or even positive territory and therefore changing the car handling quite a bit. I do not want that but I have hard time finding wheels with such high offset..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts