Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:mad: :3: just got off from work thursday and guess what, some pathetic life just keyed my pilot! grrrr! I usually park it at the end of the lot where there is no people traffic, and there are no exits at the end of the parking structure unless an employee also parked his car. just like that, a harmless pilot sitting in the parking structure keyed without reason. definitely a co-worker in the hospital but who? nobody knows it is my pilot and only hospital employee parks in the parking structure because it is a limited access to employees.

tried buffing it over the weekend with rubbing compound, still very noticeable, short of fully repainting the driver side and rear doors, does anybody know of any wax that will fix the problem? thanks:(

·
Registered
483 Posts
That sucks !

I'm sorry to hear about your Pilot, its really the sh#*s to think its a co-worker. :mad:

It all depends on how deep the scratch is. If you can feel it with your finger nail, its probably too deep to color sand and polish. I would recommend using 2000 wet/dry sand paper with water and a mild soap. Get the sand paper wet and keep it wet, lightly sand the scratched area around 10 strokes, wipe the area dry. Use a mild cleaning compound ( not a heavy duty rubbing compound as this will leave scratches as well unless you really know what you are doing ) and a clean towel, you may have to go over the area a few times to git rid of the sand scratches, when the sand scratches are gone, go over the area again a few times with a polish ( this step is needed because the light cleaner will make the finish slightly dull from the abrasives in it).

You have to be carefull though when color sanding because if you sand too much you will sand through the clear coat. Good luck

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
sblvro, holy cow, that just sucks! I'm really sorry to hear about what happened to you. May the person suffer the most horrible karma. Sorry I don't have an answer as to what you might be able to use to fix that. Like tony said, I guess it all depends on how deep it is, but for very light scratches, ScratchX by Mequiar's worked for me. But again, the effectiveness of it would depend on how deep the scratch is.

I might even be tempted to give the touch-up pen a try in this case. Get a very fine sand paper, prep the scratch, clean the area, apply the touch-up paint using the pen. Then, you can apply the clearcoat separately from the other end of the touch-up pen and see what kind of results you get. I'm just thinking out loud here since I really have no professional knowledge about these things.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Wow, sorry to hear about your Pilot being keyed.:3:

Tonyrwc's suggestion has worked for me in the past. My wife had an A4 that was keyed at one of our kids soccer games. Gimme a break!!!:3:

I very carefully filled the deepest part the the scratch with touch-up paint, then did the sanding thing with soap and water followed by wheeling it out with a orbital buffer. The scratch was 95% gone. It was a dark red car, so everything little scratch showed. You could only see it from certain angles in certain light. Most of the time it looked fine.

If your scratch isn't that deep, you may be able to completely erase it. But DO be careful not to sand off the clear coat!

Good luck!:D

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the suggestions all of you guys gave. will try that and see if it works. I guess the pilot is not that bland after all, somebody has to be that envious to scratch it.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Call the cops!!

If you call the cops and report the car as having been keyed your comprehensive insurance should cover the cost of having it repainted.

Otherwise why pay for insurance.

JJ

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:( I still have to pay for the deductible? I reported it in the university police and they looked at it and filed a report.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
sblvro said:
:( I still have to pay for the deductible? I reported it in the university police and they looked at it and filed a report.
With my insurance, the collision deductible is $500, but the comprehensive deductible, which would cover this vandalism, is only $100. Maybe you're in a similar situation.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Insurance

I agree with jay - go back and check your deductible - I carry $0 deductible on comprehensive - the difference in my insurance cost is about $5 per year and it covers all the glass breakage - - I've never had a real insurance claim (knock wood) but I've had 5 or 6 windshields replaced so this is the one area of my insurance that is paying for itself.

Sorry about your Pilot and we all hope that you'll have better insurance than you think -

JJ

·
Registered
328 Posts
sblvro said:
:mad: :3: just got off from work thursday and guess what, some pathetic life just keyed my pilot! grrrr! I usually park it at the end of the lot where there is no people traffic, and there are no exits at the end of the parking structure unless an employee also parked his car. just like that, a harmless pilot sitting in the parking structure keyed without reason. definitely a co-worker in the hospital but who? nobody knows it is my pilot and only hospital employee parks in the parking structure because it is a limited access to employees.

tried buffing it over the weekend with rubbing compound, still very noticeable, short of fully repainting the driver side and rear doors, does anybody know of any wax that will fix the problem? thanks:(
That's terrible! I really feel for you. Our first joint car was keyed (GOUGED!) in London a few days after we were given it by an elderly relative. It was AWFUL and it retained the key marks (no matter how we tried to get rid of them) for the whole time we had the car. Ditto the karma remark!

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:( checked my insurance coverage, it seems I have 500 deductible and the repair cost 700. I have rental though and will call my insurance if they can waive the deductible:D I hate to paint a new car:3: hope they do a good job. will try the touch up for now and buff it if it helps. oh well!

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Re: Insurance

raleighpilot said:
. . . . .- I carry $0 deductible on comprehensive - the difference in my insurance cost is about $5 per year and it covers all the glass breakage - . . . .
I can not believe how few people carry $0 deductable comprehensive insurance!!:eek:

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
Re: Re: Insurance

N_Jay said:

I can not believe how few people carry $0 deductable comprehensive insurance!!:eek:
I carry $100..why I dont make it $0 I dont know :rolleyes:

Anyways do I need to report stuff to the cops before I can insurance work done for stuff like car being keyed etc ????

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Insurance

ramirami said:

I carry $100..why I dont make it $0 I dont know :rolleyes:

Anyways do I need to report stuff to the cops before I can insurance work done for stuff like car being keyed etc ????
Depends on the insurance Co.

Why? You got something to hide?:D

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Insurance

N_Jay said:

Why? You got something to hide?:D
well there might be some white powder lying around ;)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Insurance

ramirami said:

well there might be some white powder lying around ;)
Hey, Chicago cops can use some talcum powder on hot summer days too.... :31:

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
:( anybody knows a touch up paint for the starlight silver color and how it compares in hiding the marks? any good brand around? the cost of the repair is almost $700 bucks because of the front and rear doors were damaged. I hate to have it painted even if I can afford it, its just new and this things happen. I'll try any touch up pen if it really works.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Autosharp touch up pen

I don't know if you saw this thread yesterday given the server problems, but this might be interesting...

Autosharp Touch Up Pen Thread

·
Registered
113 Posts
May they ROT IN HELL...........

Anyhow....

Has anyone used the item for sale at HandAccesories.com. Its a syringe with paint inside. Its supposed to be easier to use then the touch up paint....

Hopefully you can fix it!

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
:) Thanks guys! I'll try it!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts