Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Honda Pilot Touring (Canada)
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! Does anyone know a fix for the Drive/Sport button once it starts rubbing off without buying a new button? 2016 Honda Pilot Touring (Canada)

Thanks!

·
Registered
318 Posts
be even more careful cleaning it with any interior detailing liquids, as my dealer tried to do that after the mechanic left it dirty after fixing the car and not only did it rub it off but eat into the rubber. Dealer replaced the whole thing.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,843 Posts
If you have a sport mode Pilot you have an exceedingly rare beast. 😄

The Pilot never had a sport mode nor has it ever been a sport vehicle. It does however have Sequential shifting allowing you to run through the gears manually. Page 479-480 of the owners manual.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
be even more careful cleaning it with any interior detailing liquids, as my dealer tried to do that after the mechanic left it dirty after fixing the car and not only did it rub it off but eat into the rubber. Dealer replaced the whole thing.
Oh wow! That’s good to know. Thank you!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

The Pilot never had a sport mode nor has it ever been a sport vehicle. It does however have Sequential shifting allowing you to run through the gears manually. Page 479-480 of the owners manual.
Oh shoot! Haha! Thanks for clarifying. It’s really not something I would use tbh.

·
Administrator
4,843 Posts
Oh shoot! Haha! Thanks for clarifying. It’s really not something I would use tbh.
You actually might want to consider it in the snow. It's great for setting those lower traction gears. In some instances it is better than the snow mode.

·
Registered
813 Posts

Wait I’m confused. If the Pilot has no sport mode, then what does the “s” on the shifter mean? I use it so I can get over that little jump to get in my garage lol.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wait I’m confused. If the Pilot has no sport mode, then what does the “s” on the shifter mean? I use it so I can get over that little jump to get in my garage lol.
Sequential. 🤷🏻‍♀️ Just found out too. Lol!

·
Administrator
4,843 Posts
Oh the revs were always up when it was in “S” mode so I thought it was sport mode. I guess I’m learning a new thing every day! Lol.
If it were a sports mode you would be able to go from 3rd to 5th or 6th without shifting through the gears in between. I hate to be the one to say this but Honda Pilot and Sports car do not belong in the same sentence unless the sentence is something like, "My Honda Pilot does a good job of towing my little sports car."

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Spoke to the dealership. They’re saying it’s cosmetic and will try their best to fill it in with paint but it won’t be as good as if it was brand new. I guess it’s just something I need to accept with buying used cars. It’s nice that they’re at least going to try.

This whole type of gear shift is totally new to me and will definitely be a learning curve. It just would be nice if I can see the letters properly as I get used to using it.

·
Registered
12 Posts

According to the manual for my 2019, it says this:
■Electronic Gear Selector
Select the vehicle’s gear using a simple button interface. Apply the brake pedal and select a gear.

Park (P): Press the (P) button to put the vehicle in Park.
Reverse (R): Pull back the (R) button to put the vehicle in Reverse.
Neutral (N): Press the (N) button to put the vehicle in Neutral. Transmission is not locked.
Drive /S Position(D)(D/S): Press the (D) button to put the vehicle in Drive. Release the electric parking brake to begin driving. Used for normal driving (D) or driving in Sport mode (S). Press D/S once for normal driving. Press D/S twice for Sport mode driving. A green indicator appears. Make sure the electric parking brake is released.

·
Administrator
4,843 Posts
According to the manual for my 2019, it says this:
■Electronic Gear Selector
Select the vehicle’s gear using a simple button interface. Apply the brake pedal and select a gear.

Park (P): Press the (P) button to put the vehicle in Park.
Reverse (R): Pull back the (R) button to put the vehicle in Reverse.
Neutral (N): Press the (N) button to put the vehicle in Neutral. Transmission is not locked.
Drive /S Position(D)(D/S): Press the (D) button to put the vehicle in Drive. Release the electric parking brake to begin driving. Used for normal driving (D) or driving in Sport mode (S). Press D/S once for normal driving. Press D/S twice for Sport mode driving. A green indicator appears. Make sure the electric parking brake is released.
Straight from the 2019 Honda Pilot Manual.

Funny, I don't see the word Sport anywhere.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Straight from the 2019 Honda Pilot Manual.
View attachment 138066 View attachment 138067 View attachment 138068 View attachment 138069

Funny, I don't see the word Sport anywhere.
My snippet was also straight from the Honda Pilot manual where it clearly does refer to the S on the gear selector as "Sport Mode". In fact, your snippet indicates that the "M" stands for sequential mode, not the "S". My point is only that if someone refers to the S in the D/S on the gear selector as "Sport Mode", they are not wrong.

·
Administrator
4,843 Posts
My snippet was also straight from the Honda Pilot manual where it clearly does refer to the S on the gear selector as "Sport Mode". In fact, your snippet indicates that the "M" stands for sequential mode, not the "S". My point is only that if someone refers to the S in the D/S on the gear selector as "Sport Mode", they are not wrong.
View attachment 138086
What snippet has the word SPORT in it? Post a photo of your manual that shows it referring to it as sport mode. Mine screen shots are from the current 2019 Honda Pilot Owners Manual. The one that anyone can look at and download on the Honda Owners site.

Thank you. You post just proves what I was saying by highlighting the word sequential.

The Honda Pilot does not have a sports mode. The only way you can pretend that a Pilot has a sports mode is to drive with Eco engaged all the time. Then if you want to get "sporty" you turn off Eco to get more throttle response.

With vehicles that have a sports mode option, that is one of the things that happens. The computer adjusts the throttle response to be much quicker, adjusts the transmission to have higher shift rpms and on some vehicles like the S Class Mercedes I used to drive, the vehicle suspension would lower the vehicle and stiffen the suspension for better handling.

The 2016 and later Honda Civic Si does have a sports mode and this is what it does.
1. Tightens up the suspension for better handling using the adaptive dampers.
2. Adds additional weighting to the steering, for increased feel and precision.
3. Increases throttle response allowing the engine to rev more quickly.

None of those things are present in the Pilot. It is a sequential shifter that allows you move up and down the gears sequentially. It's the equivalent of pretending to be a speed demon when you were in high school driving your moms Buick Station wagon using the column gear selector to move through the gears.

Since there is no other method of selecting a gear it is best for when you need to be in a low or lower gear, such as in heavy snow or when towing a trailer.

·
Registered
68 Posts

That's incorrect - it does more than allow manual operation - though i agree its not a sporty vehicle. Shift points change when you have it in S. And at least in the 2020, it only uses 8 gears (shifting automatically) in S mode according to the manual (not sure about 2019 and earlier). The impact of S on the manual shifting is that it will hold the gear you choose with the paddles while in S, whereas in D it will revert to the automatic transmission if you have it in D.

·
Administrator
4,843 Posts
That's incorrect - it does more than allow manual operation - though i agree its not a sporty vehicle. Shift points change when you have it in S. And at least in the 2020, it only uses 8 gears (shifting automatically) in S mode according to the manual (not sure about 2019 and earlier). The impact of S on the manual shifting is that it will hold the gear you choose with the paddles while in S, whereas in D it will revert to the automatic transmission if you have it in D.
Yes, it is a gear selector that allows you to select the gear you want, and yes you can sequentially shift up through the gears. It is really no different, other than the number of gears, then the column gear selector of old, or even the console shift levers in the older Pilots. It does not provide any sort of sport function.

There is also still some over ride functions of the automatic transmission when in sequential mode. The vehicle will not let you damage the transmission by shifting incorrectly.

"There’s no need to worry about causing any harm to the vehicle. The shifters will not cause a gear shift if:
  • You downshift before reaching the upper limit of the lower gear
  • You upshift before the engine reach the lower limit of the higher gear
  • You press both paddles at the same time
  • You try to shift to third or higher while stationary
  • You press one paddle while the other is being held down"

1 - 20 of 32 Posts