Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2007 honda pilot J35Z1
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently changed out my valve cover gaskets, spark plugs and oil change on my 07 pilot. When I cranked it back up I got codes p0302, p0161, p2251, and cylinders 1,2, and 3 were not firing and had smoke coming from the catalytic converter. I swapped coils around to see if any were bad and they all work when on the front bank but none work on the rear bank. I took it to the dealer and they said I needed the pcm replaced and o2 sensors b1s1 and b2s2. I had them replace the pcm and replaced the sensors myself to save $1100 of labor that they wanted to charge. Im still receiving the p0302 code and still misfiring on the rear bank. Has anyone ever encountered this problem and if so how was it fixed if it ever did get fixed?

·
Registered
505 Posts
So, after you replaced the O2 sensors did the two O2 sensor codes go away and not come back? The odds of two different O2 sensors on two different banks going bad are extremely remote. What brand of spark plugs did you use, where did you get them, and what brand O2's?

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
845 Posts
Is the car running poorly? And does Alabama have emissions inspections?

·
Registered
2007 honda pilot J35Z1
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes the o2 sensor codes went away. The spark plugs were autolite and the o2 sensors are denso. The car is running very poorly and no I dont think there are any emissions tests.

·
Registered
198 Posts
If it happened after you changed the valve cover gasket I would go back and double check to make sure that you did not leave a ground wire loose or accidentally break a ground wire. Also, check all the connectors to make make sure that they are tight and that you not accidentally bend a pin in a connector.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Start by changing out the Autolites to NGK and make sure they are the Laser Irridium plugs that are spec'd for the car. Autolites do not belong in a Honda and can/will cause issues. Don't buy them on Amazon or eBay. Get them from your local parts store.

The Denso O2's are OK, though I usually use NTK. Honda does use both on their vehicles so Denso is OK.

·
Registered
2007 honda pilot J35Z1
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I suppose Ill try getting different spark plugs and see if theres an improvement but could changing all six make only the rear bank not work?

·
Registered
505 Posts
It seems unlikely but you don't want those plugs in there regardless. It needs to be ruled out. You could swap that plug with another plug up front and see if there's any change. Regardless, those Autolites shouldn't be in there. These engines are built around two things....spark plugs and O2 sensors. Those two items I ALWAYS go with exactly what was installed from the factory. That's actually true across all car lines. Things aren't as simple as they used to be.

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
Start by changing out the Autolites to NGK and make sure they are the Laser Irridium plugs that are spec'd for the car. Autolites do not belong in a Honda and can/will cause issues. Don't buy them on Amazon or eBay. Get them from your local parts store.
+1

You can also get your NGK Laser Iridium spark plugs at site sponsor Rockauto.com, where you can be confident they're authentic and save some scratch.

More Information for NGK 3657

Don't forget to get get your Piloteers 5% discount, too. :)

5% Discount Code: 20CC2CFAD669A0
Expires: May 12, 2020

Please enter this code in the ‘How Did You Hear about Us’ box to receive the discount. Please enter ONLY the discount code, no other words or numbers. All orders are placed online and the discount code must be entered before an order is submitted to receive the discount.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Ok - so it sounds like all these codes started AFTER you did maintenance.
My list of diagnoses:
1) You crossed up the coil wires = the car is out of time
2) You have a critical sensor unplugged or broke = no run good
3) you somehow messed up the rear fuel injector bank = result is the entire bank is too lean or rich, fouling the sensors
4) something (old gasket?) fell inside the head = really, really bad

The codes, at least to me, suggest something wrong specifically with the rear cylinders or fuel injector bank. It’s entirely possible you have one bad coil - which would cause the symptoms you describes. They can go bad if jarred or dropped...

I support using NGKs, but If it was the plugs you would have codes for all 6 cylinders and/or the random misfire code. I have a 2003 with 323k miles and the previous owner ran Autolites with no problems for over 60k, Autolites by themselves should not cause those types of problems...

·
Registered
2007 honda pilot J35Z1
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I changed the spark plugs to ngk laser iridium and the coils all work when put on the other bank. Each connector for the coils can pretty much only reach the correct one so I dont think thats it. I ended up taking it back to the dealer and they say I either need a valve adjustment or I have bad valves and need a whole engine replacement.

Could a valve adjustment fix this issue or is that just the dealership trying to make me throw money at the problem?

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Recently changed out my valve cover gaskets, spark plugs and oil change on my 07 pilot. When I cranked it back up I got codes p0302, p0161, p2251, and cylinders 1,2, and 3 were not firing and had smoke coming from the catalytic converter. I swapped coils around to see if any were bad and they all work when on the front bank but none work on the rear bank. I took it to the dealer and they said I needed the pcm replaced and o2 sensors b1s1 and b2s2. I had them replace the pcm and replaced the sensors myself to save $1100 of labor that they wanted to charge. Im still receiving the p0302 code and still misfiring on the rear bank. Has anyone ever encountered this problem and if so how was it fixed if it ever did get fixed?
After your dealer selling you a PCM, I'd be asking for my old one back #1. Have you pulled a spark plug to examine if they are wet or oil soaked? Test each coil to see if they are firing. Pull a coil, insert an old plug, ground the plug to the intake manifold and have someone turn the key look for spark. If your plugs are wet and smell fuel..., I'd be looking at my VVT Solinoids and spool. These are known to cause the codes your getting, even the O2 sensor codes. This could be throwing your timing off. Is there any oil leaking around the VVT (on drivers side head)? What is your milage? Trouble with VVT can occur around 200k miles.

·
Registered
2007 honda pilot J35Z1
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
After your dealer selling you a PCM, I'd be asking for my old one back #1. Have you pulled a spark plug to examine if they are wet or oil soaked? Test each coil to see if they are firing. Pull a coil, insert an old plug, ground the plug to the intake manifold and have someone turn the key look for spark. If your plugs are wet and smell fuel..., I'd be looking at my VVT Solinoids and spool. These are known to cause the codes your getting, even the O2 sensor codes. This could be throwing your timing off. Is there any oil leaking around the VVT (on drivers side head)? What is your milage? Trouble with VVT can occur around 200k miles.
I did request to get it back but they said they needed it for the core charge. I finally got it fixed this weekend and it turns out the injector wast fully connected on cylinder 2. I was just taking it apart to try to do the valve adjustment myself and went to disconnect the injectors and realized it wasnt connected.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts