Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 Honda Pilot 170,000. Past few weeks developed hiccup/slight hesitation at idle. Perhaps coincidence (or not) but developed after I replaced gas cap that wouldn't click on. Anyway, today check engine light comes on and after a few minutes VTM-4 light. Still car ran ok. Restarted car and engine light still lit but VTM-4 light came on after a few minutes. Same hiccup/hesitation at idle. Ran coder and found codes as indicated. Where do I start and what's progression to diagnose and fix? Thank you and Happy 2020!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
What kind of gas cap did you get as a replacement, OEM or aftermarket? That's where you might want to start looking first.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Replace EGR valve is the most common solution.
Check valve adjustment is another, but MUCH more expensive.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Check EGR passages in the intake cover for carbon buildup too.

Reactions: boom

·
Registered
67 Posts
2004 Honda Pilot 170,000. Past few weeks developed hiccup/slight hesitation at idle. Perhaps coincidence (or not) but developed after I replaced gas cap that wouldn't click on. Anyway, today check engine light comes on and after a few minutes VTM-4 light. Still car ran ok. Restarted car and engine light still lit but VTM-4 light came on after a few minutes. Same hiccup/hesitation at idle. Ran coder and found codes as indicated. Where do I start and what's progression to diagnose and fix? Thank you and Happy 2020!
I had the engine light and VSA and VTM errors come up a couple months after I bought my 2010 Pilot. First the engine can come on if you ad gas and turn the gas cap tight but not to where it clicks. As it says in the manual it will stay on for up to 2 days then clear if the cap in on right. The other case was when the engine wasn't running right because a spark plug with the wrong gap. The gap was .027" instead of .042" so it was obviously dropped by a mechanic during a spark plug change. The manual says the VSA (stability assist) and VTM transmission gear lock are transmission errors. Went to Honda dealer and they said they don't change the related modules but instead change the transmission. I changed the bad spark plug and all the errors went away. Fixed the problems for $8. Many other wrote that they spent money on diagnostic checks that showed "no error" found. Another Honda Repair service said those two errors are often ghost erros. I did not have any transmission errors. I also got these two transmission related errors just by unplugging the connector to the air filter during the filter change! Honda diagnostic software cannot be trusted! No errors now for the last 8 months.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you to all replies. I bought an OEM gas cap, cleared the codes, and so far all is well. No local Honda dealers had gas cap in stock (and price ranged from $42 to $62!). I bought it on Ebay for $26.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I spoke too soon. After a couple of uneventful days, totaling about 4-5 hours on the road, local stuff, I started to feel the hiccuping at idle and the check engine and VTM-4 lights came back on. Perhaps this was triggered by the non OEM gas cap, but either way I'll start the protocol as has been suggested here. Rats. Minnesota winter is hitting and my garage is not heated.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Final report. While I experience the engine hiccups even with OEM gas cap, when the tank got depleted and a refilled, all returned to normal. I cleared the codes and neither the codes nor the hiccups have returned. Thank you all for your suggestions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts