Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post

Alright so I'm driving a 2007 pilot with the factory rails. The problem is I'll have a cvt mt. Rainier hybrid extended in my garage this monday and am not into the yakima cross bars(or similar cross bar brands, I want something more low profile than the factory rails plus crossbars with the rooftop tent) anyone find a good setup that uses the factory mount in a crossbar to achieve a low profile mount?

I've called a few rack manufactures and the internet is not leaning in my favor ha, any thoughts on this are much appreciated. If I cant find anything probably will go yakima crossbars for a while then get a custom rack welded up, if I can avoid that, that would be great, not nice on the wallet lol.

Thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So after much research I went with the yakima timberline aero core bar( the cold steel one) tent came in early and have it on my pilot! This tent bar combo looks good, much lower to the roof than anticipated.

I went on a drive around town tonight and really surprised how little my handling has changed, cornering is nearly the same, on acceleration I'm not feeling any drag with the tent up there. Also my rpms are at the same speeds as when I didnt have the tent on, still hitting the eco mode on cruise controll. Will be interested to see what it's like on the highway.

Havent seen many others with a similar setup thought someone might find it interesting.;)(y)

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Most of the roof tent users are not using the Pilot as the base vehicle ..interesting though I didn't think the roof supports could support this considering the max load rate for the rails is 165 lbs?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Most of the roof tent users are not using the Pilot as the base vehicle ..interesting though I didn't think the roof supports could support this considering the max load rate for the rails is 165 lbs?
Mostly see Tacoma's with tents in nwa. cvt's new mt rainier hybrid weighs in at 165(+12ish for the yakima timberline steel crossbar system) I have stored all removable parts like the annex and floor inside the car. My heart still beats faster on the highway with regular glances up at the tent through the moon roof(I've kept it under 70 and very little vibrations visible with the tent( I've had it on the car 4 days)) I've been taking it plush over in town bumps, when I'm watching the tent looks very grounded to the frame. I'll keep this update for people going down a similar line.(I am doing zero off road, all on road)

The last 30$ @ 2.32$ a gallon I put into my tank got me 205 miles driving conservative with occasional to the floor punches to merge/have a heavy foot(overall I've been driving granny) this is a 2.15 lower mpg than the average 18 of a front wheel drive v6 2007

Active?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Today I called CVT, the tent fam, the weight of my mt Rainier extended hybrid is 175(including the annex, this is the new model with the fiberglass bottom vs. Previous models with the diamond plate metal bottom) I keep the annex and annex floor inside my car, cvt told me excluding the annex and floor the tent weighs 150lbs. The 150 plus bar weight is below the 165 dynamic weight capacity of the factory bars. Kinda just sent it when I first got the tent but feeling good about it now. I 101% still take it soft over in town bumps just to make me feel good ha, overall its feeling solid. Anyone into camping and rock a pilot, I'd recomend

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Awesome unfortunately My 4 season Cabela's Ultimate Alaknak 20x12 I can pretty much park my Pilot inside :)
Awesome tent for those into cold weather / winter camping

1 - 6 of 6 Posts