Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2009 Pilot 170k. Time to replace the CV joints / axles as there is loud clicking (on hard turns), and pulling to that side.. Some questions about this job:

When did yours go out? (miles)
Are aftermarket parts OK? or should I go OEM Honda? Some kits include hubs (with bearings) - do you recommend this?
How much did it cost? I called a local shop who said 2.6 hours ($327) for both sides of front. Plus parts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Let me know what you think! My quotes so far:

Honda dealer $1070 both, $550 if just one is needed
small shop - $660 total both sides (trakmotive axles)
Pep boys: $327 (labor) both sides + I bring parts (Cardone Axles $62 each @ amazon)

·
Registered
540 Posts
Don't waste your time with Cardone, better off with bad oem then those. We have so much trouble with aftermarket, that I won't put anything but oem in pilot, odyssey, ridgeline, or v6 accord.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks - sounds like aftermarket are RISKY! anyone know where to get best price on honda parts?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I replaced my own on my 2009. I replaced the struts, brakes, rotors, and bearings while I had it torn apart. The vehicle had 195,000 miles on it.

The only issue I had with the CV shafts was the passenger side. I pulled the shaft apart and left the cup attached to the Transmission. I had to make a slide hammer out of a set of vice grips to get it off,

I messed up both ABS speed sensors as well. Those had to be replaced.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
Don't waste your time with Cardone, better off with bad oem then those. We have so much trouble with aftermarket, that I won't put anything but oem in pilot, odyssey, ridgeline, or v6 accord.
Based on what you post, I listen. (he is a current auto tech). Thanks

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I replaced my own on my 2009. I replaced the struts, brakes, rotors, and bearings while I had it torn apart. The vehicle had 195,000 miles on it.

The only issue I had with the CV shafts was the passenger side. I pulled the shaft apart and left the cup attached to the Transmission. I had to make a slide hammer out of a set of vice grips to get it off,

I messed up both ABS speed sensors as well. Those had to be replaced.
Good info...did you go with Honda or aftermarket axles and struts? I may do struts also. I have a mechanic friend who might help me do this. Did you use the assembled struts? How is everything holding up?

·
Registered
2011 Pilot EX-L
144 Posts
Honda driveshafts only for me. BTW, they just jacked up ther prices on them out of the blue. I was about to buy a LHS one for me, and it went from $300 (Canadian) to $400 for me just about overnight.
Never really had good luck with any aftermarket shafts on any of my other vehicles (except for Land Rover Defender).

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Are aftermarket parts OK? or should I go OEM Honda? Some kits include hubs (with bearings) - do you recommend this?
OEM axles for the best results. Takes a variable out of the search for old or new vibration issues. Less expensive aftermarket axles could work out especially if there is plans for short term ownership.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts