Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While changing my oil filter on my 05 Pilot this weekend I noticed the passenger side inner cv boot leaking. I inspected the boot and did not find any tears. It looks like the grease is leaking from the clamp. I cleaned up the grease and drove it for a day and reinspected the boot and more grease had leaked out. Has anyone experienced this problem before? I'm not sure how to remove the factory installed clamps and am not sure if installing a new clamp will fix the problem. Has anyone tried using a heavy duty zip tie on cv boots before? I will post a photo of the cv boot when I get home for work. Any help is appreciated. Unfortunately I cant find a mechanic I trust to work on my Honda.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,174 Posts
Congrats on catching this now. Its a concern that you have already lost some grease. Thats not good for the lift of the joint.

Surprised that you haven't spotted a split. The clamp is therefore the suspect and may be loosening. Have you tried replacing the clamp?

·
Registered
766 Posts
If you want to replace the factory clamp, you'll have to cut the original off and you can replace it with a standard type hose clamp.

I don't really understand how the boot is "leaking" grease. The grease should be sufficiently thick not to leak out. The boots purpose is to protect the object from dirt/grime/etc. Could you take a picture for us?

I'd be tempted to remove the clamp, add the proper grease if appropriate, and put on a new clamp.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
update with photo

It doesn't look like it leaked much more today.

I went to the Honda dealer an picked up a new clamp and will attempt to install it tomorrow.

Has anyone had this problem before. I ran over a pothole Friday evening and I am thinking it caused the clamp to come loose.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,174 Posts
A simple pothole is more likely to damage the tire and wheel before it gets anywhere else. CV boots generally crack and split. with age.

Since you are gaining some access to the joint, get the right type of grease and refill.

But also take a look around. Any signs of leakage from anywhere else?

·
Registered
766 Posts
carguy07 said:
I think I would just get a new clamp on it. Is that a split in the pic on the 3rd rib?
I was wondering the same thing.

It also appears in the closeup that there are plier/wrench marks on the halfshaft just beside the boot.

I looked in my service manual and it doesn't specify the type of grease to use (states to use grease that comes with the boot kit). However, I doubt you'd be able to get any inside the boot anyway. You'd probably have to remove the large clamp to do so.

Anyway, I'm not meaning to make this more than it is. I'd put the clamp on like carguy says and monitor it to see if it leaks anymore.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
That's what cv joints do. they leak. Sometimes they crack or split and then they leak.

Actually, that looks to me like somebody tried to add grease to he joint. Maybe some "mechanic" thought it was a maintenance item.

·
Registered
777 Posts
If that's not a weird angle of the picture then I think the CV boot is torn. Although no grease or rub residue is near the rip. Anyway definately looks like grease was coming out of the clamp.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I reluctantly decided to take it to the dealer to have the cv boot looked at this morning. The dealer suggested I replace the boot. $278.00 later I am back on the road.

I couldn't find any other threads with the same cv boot issue so I'm hoping this was just a fluke.

Does anyone know how to search for members in a specific city, i.e., St. Louis, MO?

Thanks to those who have replied.

·
Registered
25 Posts
This is soooooo spooky.

I too have a 2005 pilot.
I too was changing the oil this week (yesteday for me).
I too removed the oil filter and wondered why it's covered in grease.
I too found the cv joint boot is leaking, exactly how yours is in the pictures.

This is not a joke, I can't beleive the coincidence.

I think I will go to the dealer and get a new clamp.
But I'm thinking about just adding grease. Cleaning up the metal on the cv shaft. Then reclamping.
This might be easier said than done.

Thanks for posting 05EX

·
Registered
752 Posts
Autozone sells the clamps and pliers.

Or you can just use an old-school hose clamp. They are a little heavy, but should not pose a problem.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Yeah the screw type hose clamps should work but I hope it doesn't come loose overtime, better yet do yourself a favor and buy the right clamp and pliers for it.

·
Registered
249 Posts
My 06 had a boot leak at the last service. The boot was not split, it was leaking around the clamp like the one in the picture. I let the Dealer replace it [boot] and flush the power steering system. I did not let him clean the throttle body and did that myself.
I still love my Wife's Honda.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts