Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just did this job and took this video in case anyone needs it.

Warning: This video was not intended to be an all inclusive instructional video on how to remove the CV axle and show you every step. Rather, it is meant to pack a lot of content into 3 min, showing just the meat of the what you need to know to replace the axle boot. There are plenty of other videos out there that make you wade through 30+ min of content that is a waste of time for an experienced wrencher. This video is intended for people who already know how to use tools properly and get stuff done.
Personally, I'd much rather people making videos like this - show me the meat of the project, not all the obvious stuff...but to each his own.

Also, this isn't a super common project, but I do believe that this is an important project to understand. The CV axles on Hondas are a very common failure point that really dictate the ride quality of the entire vehicle. There are practically no good aftermarket replacement options (please advise if you know of one) - most will wear down quickly and cause driveline vibrations. Rebuilding or buying new OEM axles is typically the best option. Unfortunately, Raxles doesn't offer Honda options so most are forced to spend $500+ for a set of new axles. In Charlotte, we do have a shop (Axles Unlimited) that does rebuild them for around $70 each (may have gone out of business during Covid). As such, I've needed to replace the boots on mine at 220K miles - which lead to this video.
So actually, if you think about the # of Hondas on the road, and that most driveline vibrations are caused by worn axles, I feel this is valuable content. I have 2 Hondas and their main downfall is slowly developing driveline vibrations.
I've replace the half-shaft bearing and that fixed a significant part of the vibration. Then having the axles rebuilt has made it buttery smooth again.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Makes a video that shows nothing of the process, mentions no tool names and forgets everything about the materials used along the way. Knows more about a shop that does the work than actually doing the work, which was the point of the video. I don’t think this one will be going viral anytime soon.
Wow, trying to help others and this is the thanks I get? Man this world is getting so nasty.
I actually appreciate brief videos that don’t require me to watch 30 min to see the useful info.
I did mention the tools and specifically called out the part numbers of the products - so not sure what you mean there. Did I need to explain how snap ring pliers work? If you are doing this job, then I assumed you should know about that elementary stuff.

Apparently, you know how to create a better video - please send me your videos so I can learn from them.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Makes a video that shows nothing of the process, mentions no tool names and forgets everything about the materials used along the way. Knows more about a shop that does the work than actually doing the work, which was the point of the video. I don’t think this one will be going viral anytime soon.
Probably not since new axels are not that expensive so rebuilding them isn't very cost effective and not many mechanics bother. I think you're being a little tough on the guy. I'm sure he'd gladly refund whatever money you paid to watch it.

If I were going to actually rebuild a CV joint and needed a video on how to do that with all the part numbers and such, I'd probably need to see step by step directions on how to remove the axel starting with safely jacking up the front end and taking the tire and wheel off. If you already are past that then you probably don't need all the nitty gritty details. My reaction to the video was ..."oh so that's what the inside of a CV joint looks like under the boot." Not something most people get to see since whole half axels are usually replaced as a unit.

I agree the part about taking it to a shop and having the shell welded and CNC machined was TMI given that alone would probably cost more than a new axel.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Wow, trying to help others and this is the thanks I get? Man this world is getting so nasty.
I actually appreciate brief videos that don’t require me to watch 30 min to see the useful info.
I did mention the tools and specifically called out the part numbers of the products - so not sure what you mean there. Did I need to explain how snap ring pliers work? If you are doing this job, then I assumed you should know about that elementary stuff.

Apparently, you know how to create a better video - please send me your videos so I can learn from them.
Thanks for the video. It was interesting to see what's involved in just replacing the boot. When my mechanic told me it would cost more to replace a boot I had just ripped than replace the whole axel, I almost didn't believe him, but now I do after seeing how messy the job looks.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
I enjoyed the video. If I'm going to work on something unfamiliar, I usually watch several videos on the subject. It's good to know where to get good quality boots without paying an arm and a leg at the dealership.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
It was interesting to see what's involved in just replacing the boot. When my mechanic told me it would cost more to replace a boot I had just ripped than replace the whole axel, I almost didn't believe him, but now I do after seeing how messy the job looks.
I've heard the messy grease has a strong odor too ;)

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
The video may not be super comprehensive but it brings up a few good pointers about DIY boot replacement. For example the metal ties can be hard to find and the tool to tighten them is specialized. After watching the video it reinforced my preference for OEM replacement CV axles.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Actually, I shouldn't blame the world for the comments of a single individual. I believe that most people are reasonable and intelligent. Unfortunately, it only takes 1 person to create a ton of negativity and showcase the foolishness of the few.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
I'd like to encourage more videos and pictures. It's a big help.

·
Read Only
293 Posts
So how to videos actually show you doing something. How did you separate the joint? How did you get the boot off? How did you get the bands on? And then the reverse process. You’re supposed to show us how to do something not zooming in on a pile of parts when no work is being done and talking about it. Not a bad first try but people require more these days on YouTube if you want them to watch.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
So how to videos actually show you doing something. How did you separate the joint? How did you get the boot off? How did you get the bands on? And then the reverse process. You’re supposed to show us how to do something not zooming in on a pile of parts when no work is being done and talking about it. Not a bad first try but people require more these days on YouTube if you want them to watch.
Not to defend anyone in particular, but I have noticed that in general, a lot of YouTubers like to gab a lot before they get any work done. The fast forward control and I have become good friends.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts