Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ya'll. First time posting. I have an 03 Pilot that Ive been attempting to install the drivers side cv axle. Im having a problem getting the axle to seat well into the transmission. All the splines are clean and intact, It just seems like its hanging up on the retainer ring possibly. But after two days of trying to muscle it into place I figured I would post here to see if anyone has had a similar issue. The axle is from NAPA if that helps. Thanks

·
Registered
312 Posts
They can be a pain sometimes. It sometimes helps if you put the gap in the retainer ring on the bottom. Some people say to put the gap at the top but I have had the best luck with the gap on the bottom.

Is this a new axle or the original one?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ive tried the retainer ring every way possible. Ive never dealt with one as stubborn as this ive spent hours trying to get it set. Its a brand new NAPA axle, I even exchanged it hoping there was something off with it but the problem persisted with the new one. I guess all i can do is try again tomorrow. Thanks

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,193 Posts
One member who has experience with CV axles and just loves them is @Nail Grease. Read and learn from his experience with his labor of love. :)

·
Registered
312 Posts
You will need to get the retainer clip to compress slightly to let it drop in place. On ones that I can’t get by arm power alone I will use a soft face hammer or a block of wood and a regular hammer and tap the cv shaft end that goes into the wheel. This will often compress the retaining clip enough to allow the shaft to pop into place. You are just trying to overcome the spring force on the clip so it does not take a lot of force.

·
Registered
11,318 Posts
This last CV Axle was stubborn clipping into place.
I managed to muscle it in by holding the spline going into the transmission in my right hand and the other end in my left. With one swift motion with weighted force, it will clip in. Be sure and lube it well with Full Synthetic Valvoline MaxLife ATF.
💪😁

Reactions: aggrex and plplplpl

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Hi ya'll. First time posting. I have an 03 Pilot that Ive been attempting to install the drivers side cv axle. Im having a problem getting the axle to seat well into the transmission. All the splines are clean and intact, It just seems like its hanging up on the retainer ring possibly. But after two days of trying to muscle it into place I figured I would post here to see if anyone has had a similar issue. The axle is from NAPA if that helps. Thanks
Some people have had luck centering and holding the ring in the groove equally all the way around with a small amount of grease, and then once the splines are lined up, using the momentum of pushing it in the rest of the way quickly to get it to lock in.

And then again ... some people, good mechanics, take the new axel out of the packaging and with no further ado, do this ... (known as little love taps)

·
Registered
55 Posts
I use a bungee cord to hold the weight up so it stays aligned. Then I tap the end with a metal hammer. The vibration and force from the hammer cause the ring to compress.
However, I would never use axles from Napa. Don’t be surprised if you have a vibration when you’re all done with this. OEM only on CV axles.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone for your replies. It seems when I bought the new axle seal they gave me wrong part. It looked the same but was slightly thicker. Got a new seal and was able to slide the axle in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts