Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently tried to replace my compliance bushings on my pilot since they were leaking oil. in the process I think I may have pulled out or damaged my cv axles. Now I cannot steer the vehicle much at all and there is a clunking when I try to turn. If I let the wheel go while rolling at an idle the car will pull one way or the other. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
I recently tried to replace my compliance bushings on my pilot since they were leaking oil. in the process I think I may have pulled out or damaged my cv axles. Now I cannot steer the vehicle much at all and there is a clunking when I try to turn. If I let the wheel go while rolling at an idle the car will pull one way or the other. Any ideas?
Are you really a Dad? How many children are you raising?

If you may have pulled out your cv axels you may have pulled out your tie rods. My idea would be to have the car towed to a good mechanic as soon as possible.

·
Registered
11,438 Posts
You may not have the CV axle plugged in all the way. Are you leaking any ATF?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You may not have the CV axle plugged in all the way. Are you leaking any ATF?
no leaks, the strange thing is that cv axles appear to be fully engaged with the tranny. I know sometimes you can pull the axle and bearings will fall out and be loose in the boot. Hard to tell what's going on in there without pulling the axles and removing the boots.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
no leaks, the strange thing is that cv axles appear to be fully engaged with the tranny. I know sometimes you can pull the axle and bearings will fall out and be loose in the boot. Hard to tell what's going on in there without pulling the axles and removing the boots.
The only axel bearings I'm aware of are a press fit with retaining ring in the hub and in the transmission on the intermediary shaft that the splined shaft plugs into. I've never heard that sometimes they fall out and are loose in the boot. Usually the axel has to be pried or slide hammered out of the transmission. If yours came out trying to replace the compliance bushing they should slide back in easily.

Is there any noticeable negative camber to the wheel/tire?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your replies. On a second closer look I noticed the passenger side CV axle was not engaged with the transmission. It did slide back in fairly easy. My pilot is running smooth with no noise.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Thanks for your replies. On a second closer look I noticed the passenger side CV axle was not engaged with the transmission. It did slide back in fairly easy. My pilot is running smooth with no noise.
You're welcome. Glad to hear all ended well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts