Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'd start a new thread on this subject. Has anyone painted the models to make them look like their ow big Pilots? If you have, what process did you use? spray paint or brush? Pictures of the finished product would be appreciated.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
BUMP

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
4603pba: Okay, since no one has responded, I'll give you my 2¢ on this topic: I think that since only a small handful (if I had to guess, I'd say less than 10) of honda-pilot.org members actually have these diecast models, you're probably not gonna find anyone who has painted them. :(

However, there's gotta be other forums that model enthusiasts and hobbyists have put together out there on the Internet -- it's just a matter of finding one of them. In all honesty, you will likely get a better answer from the "experts" in those forums... :8:

Just a thought... :)

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
4603pba said:
Thought I'd start a new thread on this subject. Has anyone painted the models to make them look like their ow big Pilots? If you have, what process did you use? spray paint or brush? Pictures of the finished product would be appreciated.
No need to paint mine...they already come in the best color: Starlight Silver!

·
Registered
305 Posts
If I ever find one of these $#%@ things to buy, I plan on painting it. :3:

That anger, of course, is directed towards not being able to find one to buy, not the painting part. :)

I have an airbrush kit at home, so that's how I'll do it. Hopefully the body comes off the unit altogether. I would hate to have to try masking all the little windows. Only problem will be finding Havasu Blue. I'm sure I could match the color, but the metal flake is the hard part. a little glitter maybe. never tried it.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
evaneri65 said:
how about using the touch up paint from honda ?
I tried using the touch up paint from Honda. Don't get too close and it looks nice or keeping sniffing the fumes from the paint and it looks real good.
I was hard to get an even cover. Probably if I had used another brush besides the on in the touch up paint, it may have worked better. I still have another one which I am going to try to spray. Masking the windows might be difficult.

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
I plan on painting mine. Should be able to find the Honda nighthawk black in a spray can at Pepboys or Autozone. One of my sons plays with the other I found. Need another to keep my other son happy. I should find one if I keep lookin.....:D

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I used a sharpie on all the silver parts that should be black.

Don't do it!!!
I knew it was stupid. Just couldn't look at it knowing those parts were wrong.

Looks good from far, but far from good.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
74PILOTMOM said:
I used a sharpie on all the silver parts that should be black.

Don't do it!!!
I knew it was stupid. Just couldn't look at it knowing those parts were wrong.

Looks good from far, but far from good.
How about posting a pic, just for grins.:)

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I'm gonna have to-

It shows what a nerd I am! I'll swipe my mom's digital and post some tonight for you all to laugh at. I'll definitely be going over it with paint and a tiny brush.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Okay, go ahead and laugh

Jay- I only got one shot. Sharpie rubs off, and the windows look a little purple, like cheap tint.
I swore I would wait to get paint. Impatience! It looks much worse in person.
Laugh at me, call me an idiot, I deserve it. I was blessed with finding one, and I destroyed it! :3:

Attachments

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Re: Okay, go ahead and laugh

74PILOTMOM said:
Jay- I only got one shot. Sharpie rubs off, and the windows look a little purple, like cheap tint.
Laugh at me, call me an idiot, I deserve it. I was blessed with finding one, and I destroyed it! :3:
Looks pretty good from here. And you can't be that much of a nerd. A real Pilot nerd would have contributed one of the 13 posts to the "hand tightening your oil filter" thread.:D

·
Registered
6,490 Posts

74PILOTMOM said:
I only got one shot. Sharpie rubs off, and the windows look a little purple, like cheap tint.
I think that you're really selling yourself short, 'MOM'.

Here the rest of us were trying to decide between using a paint brush and a spray can, all the while accomplishing absolutely nothing.

You, on the other hand, had the vision to see the possibilities in an ordinary Sharpie and, furthermore, had the courage to implement that vision.

So what if it didn't work out exactly as you had imagined? Great pioneers seldom achieve their desired goal on the first attempt.

Worst case, you could "paint" the rest of the model with a red Sharpie and send it off to '4603pba'.

Besides that, the term "idiot" ought be reserved for anyone who tries to paint their full-size Pilot to match the model.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Re: Re: Okay, go ahead and laugh

xGS said:
...snip

Besides that, the term "idiot" ought be reserved for anyone who tries to paint their full-size Pilot to match the model.
I did mention to someone at the D.C. meet how the model looked like it had better Silver paint than some who've posted the pics of their blotchy SS. :p

·
Registered
330 Posts

74PILOTMOM said:
Looks pretty good in your photo. I was thinking of using a Sharpie to just do the door handles and the roof rack. How did that part turn out? BTW, did you try using rubbing alcohol to remove the Sharpie marks if you want to try again? I'd try it on the painted portion before trying the plastic windows.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Re: Re: Okay, go ahead and laugh

shutrbug said:
Looks pretty good in your photo. I was thinking of using a Sharpie to just do the door handles and the roof rack. How did that part turn out? BTW, did you try using rubbing alcohol to remove the Sharpie marks if you want to try again? I'd try it on the painted portion before trying the plastic windows.
LOL...uh oh...shutrbug...that's where I started. Then I noticed "ya know, beneath the roof rails are actually a black strip running the length of the entire roof, not just the rails themselves, and the side mirrors actually sit on black, not silver, and since this version has no front front side windows, the B pillar is exposed and needs to be black too. OH yeah, and the trim around the windows is black too" SHARPIE to the rescue! I made lots of mistakes and they're obvious in person. The sharpie actually looks fine if you don't mind the reddish/puplish cast. It isn't durable, and actually smudges when played with. We play with it. My 7 month old smashes it on the coffee table.

I'd say, hold out for model paint and a super fine paint brush.

YES, Jay! The Silver paint does look better than my full size Pilot, one of the first things I said after I bought it :D

Thanks XGS, I'm ready to take on the world now with your inspiring words :)

Mooz, now if they only had a tiny cowmooflage car seat, I'd install it...(you're the one with the mooflage, right?)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts