Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys: Is anyone else here running a Custom Aftermarket Steering Wheel??
If so, what kind of steering wheel Hub are you using?? I wanna upgrade the Steering Wheel in my 2004 Honda Pilot EX, but I'm having an EXTREMELY HARD TIME finding a steering wheel hub that actually FITS my Pilot: help me out; which steering wheel hub do I need, to install a New MOMO, GRANT or NRG Steering Wheel??

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
Modding a vehicle is a passion of mine but changing the steering wheel on modern vehicles is not a good one because of the airbag that could save your life. I'm not sure of the compatibility but perhaps another Pilot steering wheel might do the trick. If you want to rejuvenate your stock steering wheel I have used WHEELSKINS. Its a hour or two tedious job of sewing on lace-by-lace but the results look and feel good.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
You're Right, My Friend, (about the airbags)
yet, alotta People are STILL changing out their steering wheels on many late model vehicles: they're doing away with those unwanted steering wheel controls, (which do not work anymore, since installing a NEW aftermarket, custom Stereo System) for a much better, cleaner, sleeker LOOK of the Steering Wheel.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,569 Posts
yet, alotta People are STILL changing out their steering wheels on many late model vehicles: they're doing away with those unwanted steering wheel controls, (which do not work anymore, since installing a NEW aftermarket, custom Stereo System) for a much better, cleaner, sleeker LOOK of the Steering Wheel.
Maybe investigate if other Honda/Acura steering wheels would work instead of the Pilot steering wheel?
You're not gonna get a lot of support for this on here because people are very cautious when it comes to steering wheels.
But if you're aware of the potential risks, I say go for it.

·
Registered
2005 Honda Pilot, 194,000 miles
338 Posts
Hey Guys: Is anyone else here running a Custom Aftermarket Steering Wheel??
If so, what kind of steering wheel Hub are you using?? I wanna upgrade the Steering Wheel in my 2004 Honda Pilot EX, but I'm having an EXTREMELY HARD TIME finding a steering wheel hub that actually FITS my Pilot: help me out; which steering wheel hub do I need, to install a New MOMO, GRANT or NRG Steering Wheel??

I’ve never seen anyone put an aftermarket steering wheel on a pilot. My guess is you need to find the shaft diameter and spline count of the steering column and make sure your aftermarket wheel is the same dimensions and spline count.

Aftermarket steering wheels are cool on drift/race cars because they remove the airbag system and put in a roll cage and harness/HANS device. If you remove your airbag you might as well remove your seatbelt. After all it is a Supplemental Restraint System (SRS). I for one would hesitate to remove parts that will save my life for a part that looks cool. I’ve never wanted a steering wheel/shaft going through my chest, but to each their own!

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,174 Posts
Unwanted steering wheel controls, like the Cruise Control?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know... You're Right about that Airbag issue:
I agree with you, but I REALLY want one in my Pilot; the Aftermarket Steering Wheels are Extremely Nice, and they look GREAT. For safety reasons, and plain common sense, I guess I'll just give up on that whole project, altogether.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,845 Posts
Don't forget the NHTSA legal reasons as well. The airbag can't normally be removed, if however you meet certain criteria you can be allowed to install an on off switch. From the NHTSA:

1. A rear-facing infant restraint must be placed in the front seat of a vehicle because there is no rear seat or the rear seat is too small for the child restraint. (For the passenger air bag only.)
  2. A child under 13 years of age must ride in the front seat because the child has a condition that requires frequent medical monitoring in the front seat. (For the passenger air bag only.)
  3. An individual with a medical condition is safer if the frontal air bag is turned off. A written statement from a physician must accompany each request based on a medical condition unless the request is based on a medical condition for which the National Conference on Medical Indications for Air Bag Deactivation recommends deactivation. (For driver and/or passenger frontal air bag as appropriate.)
  4. A driver must sit within a few inches of the air bag, typically because she or he is of extremely small stature (i.e., 4 feet 6 inches or less). (For the driver frontal air bag only.)
In those instances where an ON-OFF switch is not made for a particular vehicle, NHTSA will consider allowing an air bag to be deactivated. The approval process for deactivation is more rigorous because, while an ON-OFF switch allows the driver or passenger frontal air bag to be turned on and off in appropriate circumstances, deactivation is not so flexible. Once deactivated, an air bag cannot be easily activated for those drivers or passengers who may need it.

Also don''t forget about insurance. Your insurance company will probably drop you if you are knowingly operating an vehicle that is not in compliance with NHTSA standards. No other insurance company will pick you up.

If discovered after the fact of an accident, then all the repairs, replacements and medical bills could easily and probably will fall to you. They are not required to pay for illegal acts committed but the owners of the vehicle.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, you're RIGHT about the NHTSA reasons. That's why I'll probably give up on this Steering Wheel Modification; (its turning out to be a
"not so good idea" after-all).
Thanks My Friend...

·
Administrator
4,845 Posts
Yeah, you're RIGHT about the NHTSA reasons. That's why I'll probably give up on this Steering Wheel Modification; (its turning out to be a
"not so good idea" after-all).
Thanks My Friend...
Probably a good idea. You think you hate the steering wheel now, how much would you hate loosing the vehicle even temporarily.

I know it varies from state to state, but here the Highway Patrol takes a strong view on vehicle compliance and safety. If caught with such an modification they don't give you a ticket. They put you out of the vehicle, and no they are not a taxi service, and have the vehicle towed to the nearest HP Headquarters lot. The vehicle remains there until you either fix it there between 8-5 M - F and it passes inspection or it is towed, at your expense to a certified dealer who is not allowed to release the vehicle until it has been completely restored to legal specifications.

The dealers are very good about not releasing an illegal modified vehicle until it is repaired as in this state the Highway Patrol also is the licensing agency for all vehicle dealers both new and used.

FYI, if memory serves me correctly if you make no attempt to fix it within 30 days and/or do not repair it within 60 days then the Highway Patrol goes to court to get a title for the vehicle and they sell it as scrap.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Probably a good idea. You think you hate the steering wheel now, how much would you hate loosing the vehicle even temporarily.

I know it varies from state to state, but here the Highway Patrol takes a strong view on vehicle compliance and safety. If caught with such an modification they don't give you a ticket. They put you out of the vehicle, and no they are not a taxi service, and have the vehicle towed to the nearest HP Headquarters lot. The vehicle remains there until you either fix it there between 8-5 M - F and it passes inspection or it is towed, at your expense to a certified dealer who is not allowed to release the vehicle until it has been completely restored to legal specifications.

The dealers are very good about not releasing an illegal modified vehicle until it is repaired as in this state the Highway Patrol also is the licensing agency for all vehicle dealers both new and used.

FYI, if memory serves me correctly if you make no attempt to fix it within 30 days and/or do not repair it within 60 days then the Highway Patrol goes to court to get a title for the vehicle and they sell it as scrap.
Gosh I’d hate to live in a state that handles things like that. I’m sure there are TONs of modded cars in GA that slip through the cracks. If you don’t want an airbag, why should highway patrol care? It’s only you who is gonna get hurt.

·
Administrator
4,845 Posts
Gosh I’d hate to live in a state that handles things like that. I’m sure there are TONs of modded cars in GA that slip through the cracks. If you don’t want an airbag, why should highway patrol care? It’s only you who is gonna get hurt.
Well it depends on the modification as to the extent of the action they take. Modification with serious potential health consequences get taken care of as described above.

Less serious violation will generally warrant a citation, THE FIRST TIME.

I always wondered how tough it was to lower a "Monster Truck" with hand tools in an open paved lot. I say that as when ridiculously raised trucks were the fashion many years ago I had an occasion to stop and ticket a gentleman for having a vehicle with headlights that were 70" above the ground. Here headlights must be at least 24" above the ground and no higher than 54" above the ground.

A month later I stopped him once again as he had failed to get the vehicle/ headlights in compliance. By chance a Highway Patrol officer stopped to back me. As I was preparing to write the ticket, he happened to take note of the fact that I had ticketed the individual once before. After giving the driver his ticket the KHP officer then stepped in and took over.

Yep, put the guy, much to his astonishment and anger, out of his vehicle and called for a tow. Now a tow here usually costs about $112 base charge. Due to the nature of the modifications the KHP had to call for one of the BIG tow trucks.
Like this:

Those start at $500 base charge.

The KHP had the vehicle towed to their Headquarters and the person had to come up and lower the vehicle there. In case you didn't think about it, KHP is not responsible for the tow charges, the owner is. To get it somewhere to have it repaired would have cost the owner another $500 plus and he would have had to have it towed to a dealer. We all know what the dealer would charge to get the thing back to legal. He fixed it there.

I saw the gentleman a few times after that. His truck went from something like this...

To something like this.....

Good rule of thumb before modifying a vehicle it to see if it what you want to do is legal first. Nothing says you can't modify a vehicle any way you want to, but there is a lot that says whether you can actually drive it on the road or not.

" If you don’t want an airbag, why should highway patrol care? It’s only you who is gonna get hurt."
I take it that you have no wife, no children, have never in your life lent a vehicle to anyone ever and never sold or traded in a vehicle?

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Well it depends on the modification as to the extent of the action they take. Modification with serious potential health consequences get taken care of as described above.

Less serious violation will generally warrant a citation, THE FIRST TIME.

I always wondered how tough it was to lower a "Monster Truck" with hand tools in an open paved lot. I say that as when ridiculously raised trucks were the fashion many years ago I had an occasion to stop and ticket a gentleman for having a vehicle with headlights that were 70" above the ground. Here headlights must be at least 24" above the ground and no higher than 54" above the ground.

A month later I stopped him once again as he had failed to get the vehicle/ headlights in compliance. By chance a Highway Patrol officer stopped to back me. As I was preparing to write the ticket, he happened to take note of the fact that I had ticketed the individual once before. After giving the driver his ticket the KHP officer then stepped in and took over.

Yep, put the guy, much to his astonishment and anger, out of his vehicle and called for a tow. Now a tow here usually costs about $112 base charge. Due to the nature of the modifications the KHP had to call for one of the BIG tow trucks.
Like this:
View attachment 145584

Those start at $500 base charge.

The KHP had the vehicle towed to their Headquarters and the person had to come up and lower the vehicle there. In case you didn't think about it, KHP is not responsible for the tow charges, the owner is. To get it somewhere to have it repaired would have cost the owner another $500 plus and he would have had to have it towed to a dealer. We all know what the dealer would charge to get the thing back to legal. He fixed it there.

I saw the gentleman a few times after that. His truck went from something like this... View attachment 145585

To something like this.....
View attachment 145586

Good rule of thumb before modifying a vehicle it to see if it what you want to do is legal first. Nothing says you can't modify a vehicle any way you want to, but there is a lot that says whether you can actually drive it on the road or not.

I take it that you have no wife, no children, have never in your life lent a vehicle to anyone ever and never sold or traded in a vehicle?
Well let's just say I did remove the airbag from my vehicle, I wouldn't lend that car out to my wife/children/friend but I guess not everybody things as smart.

Either way, if someone wants to put their life at risk (assuming it doesn't put others at risk) they should be allowed to do that...just my $0.02.

I thought highway patrol just stopped people for going 5 over the speed limit but it makes sense they would enforce this type of stuff too.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Well let's just say I did remove the airbag from my vehicle, I wouldn't lend that car out to my wife/children/friend but I guess not everybody things as smart.

Either way, if someone wants to put their life at risk (assuming it doesn't put others at risk) they should be allowed to do that...just my $0.02.

I thought highway patrol just stopped people for going 5 over the speed limit but it makes sense they would enforce this type of stuff too.
Doesn't compute. If someone removed the airbag from their car but was smart enough not to lend it to their wife/children/friend ... then he would also be smart enough to realize that if he were killed or severely injured in an accident, he would be hurting those very people he was protecting, causing them loss of a loved one, income, friendship, and the burden of having to care for a possibly permanently disabled person. To truly care for and be responsible to those you love and who love you, you first and foremost have to take care of yourself so you will be there for them as long as possible..

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Doesn't compute. If someone removed the airbag from their car but was smart enough not to lend it to their wife/children/friend ... then he would also be smart enough to realize that if he were killed or severely injured in an accident, he would be hurting those very people he was protecting, causing them loss of a loved one, income, friendship, and the burden of having to care for a possibly permanently disabled person. To truly care for and be responsible to those you love and who love you, you first and foremost have to take care of yourself so you will be there for them as long as possible..
Everyone is missing my point. The idea that an individual would be ok with the risk that goes along with removing an airbag is fine.

We could come up with a million hypotheticals on how/why someone else would be driving the car and therefore be at risk. And a million more hypotheticals on how someone getting hurt/dying can effect many other people, but that is completely unnecessary for the question that was asked.

I don’t want to drive a car with no airbags and I don’t want my loved ones to be in a car that had airbags but were removed.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Everyone is missing my point. The idea that an individual would be ok with the risk that goes along with removing an airbag is fine.

We could come up with a million hypotheticals on how/why someone else would be driving the car and therefore be at risk. And a million more hypotheticals on how someone getting hurt/dying can effect many other people, but that is completely unnecessary for the question that was asked.

I don’t want to drive a car with no airbags and I don’t want my loved ones to be in a car that had airbags but were removed.
Well, I guess if nothing else, we can be thankful that the chances of that person being removed from the gene pool goes up.

Let's hope Tiger's airbag was working. This doesn't look good at all...

·
Administrator
4,845 Posts
No I don't think we are missing the point. In fact there is even a name for the idea. Now some people don't like the name because of what it denotes. It's called being part of the ME GENERATION.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,194 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts