Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Honda Pilot LX
2,192 Posts
And good looking rims. What truck are they going on?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Interesting point. Has anyone seen a comparison for tire tread life on a FWD vs AWD Pilot?
I read an article years ago that tested tire rotation vs no tire rotation on FWD vehicles. The tires on the vehicle that were rotated lasted 45-50k. The tires on the other vehicle that were never rotated had much different results. The front tires on that vehicle lasted about 30k and the rear tires lasted 90k. The VTM-4 in the Pilot probably kicks in more often than we know requiring regular tire rotations for max tire life.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Just like the Telluride and the Palisade, those Korean tires are really competitive in their categories. :)
And the price makes them a no brainer. My local shop charges me $100 to mount, balance and disposal of old tires. I can buy an extra and throw in the garage if I should happen to damage one and still be 100s of dollars ahead of Michelin.

·
Registered
44 Posts
You can get Discount Tire to match their price, if you have that around. The thing I don't like about DT, is they will price match but want to include a mail in rebate as part of it. Costco is usually instant. I prefer to shop tires at Discount Tire however.... sometimes I haggle and just ask them to do better.
I bought Michelin Defenders for my 2012 Pilot at Discount Tire a couple of months ago. We've been Discount Tire customers for years. Good prices, excellent customer service.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I use Michelin LTX Defenders for summer, and Bridgestone Blizzak DM-v2 for winter.

However: I keep my tires in pairs (not 4's), so when the rear tires are toast I buy two new front tires, decommission the rears, move the current fronts to the rear, and install the new ones up front. Instead of rotating all 4 tires, I just keep an eye on tread difference on each pair and swap them when one is noticeably lower than the other. I also care for two 2005's (mine and my brothers, who I sold to him).

--Chris N.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I am running Michelin LTX Defenders now for about 30k and have been very happy. Had Michelin LTX the last two sets before these. I don't see myself changing to something else when these wear out. They do good in the rain and what little snow we get here in Tennessee. They wear good and are not noisy - but I get them balance and rotated about every 7-10K.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I put Michelin Premiere A/S on my 2011 Pilot and 2013 Kia Soul
Unbelievable difference especially in rain
Great Tire
I got them at Tire Discounters because they price matched Costco and gave a free Tire Balance and lifetime balance/rotation

·
Registered
3 Posts
This may get some snickers, but I'm an independent sales rep who travels a very large territory from the Dakotas to Florida. On my second set of 235/60 R18 Roadian HT tires. Paid $502 for tires, balance, disposal fees, etc at Walmart. Also included re-torque of the tires after 50 miles. My first set went 87K miles with no issues, rotated at each oil change (Mobile 1) also at Walmart about $44. Have tried Mich's but didn't even get 50K before worn. Still, its Walmart, so you need to inspect the Tech's work.

·
Registered
601 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I put four General Grabber HTS60 tires (60 is just the model #, the tires are 235/70). I have over 20,000 miles on them. I rotate in late fall when rainy season begins, and in spring when rainy season ends here in southern kalifornia. I am quite happy with them; Tire Rack is selling a set for under $500.00, so you could probably find them elsewhere for close to the same price. BTW, mine were made in Germany (Plus? Minus?)

·
Registered
5,300 Posts
I put four General Grabber HTS60 tires (60 is just the model #, the tires are 235/70)
Tire Rack is selling a set for under $500.00, so you could probably find them elsewhere for close to the same price. BTW, mine were made in Germany (Plus? Minus?)
What's curious is that the Tire Rack site says that those tires are made in the USA, which is also what a customer service rep at General Tire told me.
Yet, when a local tire shop ordered a set for me last year, two of the tires were made in Germany, one was made in Mexico and one was made in Brazil.

·
Registered
27 Posts
For OEM size All-season tires my go-to is Costco for the Michelin Defender especially when they got instant rebates on the tires and installation. They have a good reputation for quality service and warranty.
I love the service at installation time but I had a Defender which suffered a sidewall puncture. Well,mounted my spare and went to my Costco and was told it would be 7-8 days to get a replacement. Seven days for a 235-70-16? The manager apologized and suggested I go to Discount and bring him back the receipt and that they would pro-rate the reimbursement.
In order to build business Discount threw in 4 certificates and sold me a new replacement for 50% off! I love Costco but not for tires anymore.

·
Registered
27 Posts
DT has good prices but I had good experience with Tire Rack when I needed over-size tires that Costco refuses to install on my truck. I got a set of Yokahama Geolander AT G015 and probably will for my Pilot. Perhaps the awesome VTM -4 is the tire eater.
Costco got successfully sued for mounting a set of oversize customer supplied set of tires.My local Discount won't mount anything without the proper bead width and load range. Lawyers in love.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I love the service at installation time but I had a Defender which suffered a sidewall puncture. Well,mounted my spare and went to my Costco and was told it would be 7-8 days to get a replacement. Seven days for a 205-70-16? The manager apologized and suggested I go to Discount and bring him back the receipt and that they would pro-rate the reimbursement.
In order to build business Discount threw in 4 certificates and sold me a new replacement for 50% off! I love Costco but not for tires anymore.
After any tire service I check and re-torque my lug nuts. This practice paid off one day when my M18 1200 ft-lb impact wrench failed to loosen one lug nut. Great to find this issue before a road trip or several months after tire service resulting in denial of cross-threading. Costco paid the bill to have the stud+lug replaced.

·
Registered
3 Posts
As an AWD owner, I am forever sold on Yokohama tires.

they hold up forever, they sound and feel great on the road, impressive traction and the tread life on the yk-740 model is unique.

I used to use falken. They’re hard and loud and just not pleasant to drive on, but they worked for the price.

discount tire (or discount tire direct) is the most affordable, best shop to buy tires with a road hazard warranty ever.

ymmv.

·
Registered
27 Posts
As an AWD owner, I am forever sold on Yokohama tires.

they hold up forever, they sound and feel great on the road, impressive traction and the tread life on the yk-740 model is unique.

I used to use falken. They’re hard and loud and just not pleasant to drive on, but they worked for the price.

discount tire (or discount tire direct) is the most affordable, best shop to buy tires with a road hazard warranty ever.

ymmv.
Early Honda Pilots don't have much road noise isolation. Before I had the Michellin Latitudes and now I have their Defender LTX's. I can hear hear the difference. These vehicles could use some Dynamat product.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Wonder how many 2020 Tellurides and Palisades will still be on the road in 2038?
If they are and pan out well, they may be my next (and maybe my last) vehicle. :)

21 - 40 of 48 Posts