Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Per recommendations from this site when I got my 2005 Pilot in 2012, I put 4 Michelin Cross Terrain 235/70-16 tires on the car. Some 60k miles and 8 years later it's time for another set of tires. These are fairly well worn and the sidewalls are crazed. Tire Rack tells me these tires are no longer available. I can get them from Amazon for $240 each 馃槺

I did a little searching on the forum, but didn't come up with anything definite.

What's the current quorum on tires for this car? I'd prefer Michelin as I've had very good luck with them, but could be convinced to do something different.

Thanks in advance.

chris

Registered
Discussion Starter #2
And any recommendations for an online supplier whose name is not TireRack would be appreciated. Last time I bought tires from TireRack it was a "less than optimal" experience.

Registered
Still very happy with my Michelin LTX M/S2, now superseded by Michelin Defender LTX M/S.

Heard good things about Yokohamas, too

Registered
For OEM size All-season tires my go-to is Costco for the Michelin Defender especially when they got instant rebates on the tires and installation. They have a good reputation for quality service and warranty.

Registered
I have always been a fan of Michelin Defender LTX M/S. Or the "Warehouse Club" equivalent.

We just put the Costco "house tire" which is nearly identical to the Michelin, waited for a instant rebate/sale, and it was $732 out the door.

And that was with me haggling with them to put my own supplied Denso TPMS sensors in. 馃榿 They wrote me an angry note on my bill though....

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Yea, a quick spelunking around indicates the Defender LTX is about the only all season tire Michelin sells in this size.
thanks for the reco's....

Registered
Although we aren't Costco members, I'll look into their services as well. Thanks
You can get Discount Tire to match their price, if you have that around. The thing I don't like about DT, is they will price match but want to include a mail in rebate as part of it. Costco is usually instant. I prefer to shop tires at Discount Tire however.... sometimes I haggle and just ask them to do better.

Registered
Doesn't cost much to be a Costco membership and once you check out the warehouse you might get addicted. Rarely leave a Costco spending less than 3 figures...lol

Registered
鈥淚 would never join a club that would have me as a member.鈥
- Groucho Marx

Registered
I can鈥檛 say enough good things about discount tire. Awesome customer service. I ended up getting double rebates because I changed my mind and got a better tire. I don鈥檛 mind thay they mail it to you...

I was planning to get the Defenders but there were no rebates anywhere for them and I needed new tires now. I couldn鈥檛 justify spending $1,000 on tires. I ended up spending about $700 out the door (minus $140 in rebates). They redid the TPMS with whatever they normally use and I haven鈥檛 had a problem.
All I can really say is stay away from Goodyear. Crappiest tires ever made.

Registered
All I can really say is stay away from Goodyear. Crappiest tires ever made.
Goodyear makes some good tires. However, the Fortera's they made which came standard on a lot of these Pilots were garbage. They used to cost half as much as wore out twice as fast... so it was a wash (not counting noise and performance). But something changed in the last couple years, because the price is now WAY higher than it used to be and not much of any discount to quality competitive tires.... so not sure why anyone would give them a second glance.

Administrator
Last set I put on was the Bridgestone Ecopia. Not the best tire, sure but after 255k miles, its time fir a cheaper tire.

Registered
Per recommendations from this site when I got my 2005 Pilot in 2012, I put 4 Michelin Cross Terrain 235/70-16 tires on the car. Some 60k miles and 8 years later it's time for another set of tires. These are fairly well worn and the sidewalls are crazed. Tire Rack tells me these tires are no longer available. I can get them from Amazon for $240 each 馃槺
I'd prefer Michelin as I've had very good luck with them, but could be convinced to do something different.
Michelin CrossTerrain is discontinued. Wonder how old are the ones being sold on Amazon?
Closest replacement is the Premier LTX. It's a great tire, except that the treadlife is poor.

The better option would be the Defender LTX M/S.
https://www.discounttiredirect.com/buy-tires/michelin-defender-ltx-m-s/p/11276
DiscountTireDirect also has a $70 rebate offer available through February 15th.
https://www.discounttiredirect.com/promotions/michelin-tires

Registered
2005 Honda Pilot LX
I鈥檝e had great experiences with Discount (aka America鈥檚) Tire for my last two tire purchases. The staff is friendly and knowledgeable, the choices are not limited to the three or four brands which Costco carries, I鈥檓 normally in and out in less than 30 minutes for rotation and balancing, and the pricing is comparable to Costco (unless Costco offers their one cent installation).

For the Pilot鈥檚 tires, it has Yokohama Geolandar AT鈥檚 installed. They have performed great in heavy rain; no experience in the snow. And the tires aren鈥檛 much nosier compared to the Michelin LXT MS2 tires they replaced.

My Pilot, as well as some others on this forum, is a tire eating machine. I no longer put premium tires on it since even the 70k mile rated Michelins lasted less than 40k miles. I went through a successful warranty claim with BFG (how we ended up with Michelin since they are related brands) but decided to forego the warranty claim hassle on the Michelin tires.

Registered
My Pilot, as well as some others on this forum, is a tire eating machine. I no longer put premium tires on it since even the 70k mile rated Michelins lasted less than 40k miles. I went through a successful warranty claim with BFG (how we ended up with Michelin since they are related brands) but decided to forego the warranty claim hassle on the Michelin tires.
Yeah, we only got 37,000 miles before we replaced our Michelin Defenders. :-( Front right tire gets eaten.... however the alignment is "good" according to the alignment guy. We had it realigned and this time I bought the "3 year alignment" so we can have it checked and adjusted as much as we want in the next three years (we will be selling it at the end of 3 years anyway. I am hoping these will still look good in about 25,000 miles when we trade it or sell it outright.

Registered
For the Pilot鈥檚 tires, it has Yokohama Geolandar AT鈥檚 installed. They have performed great in heavy rain; no experience in the snow. And the tires aren鈥檛 much nosier compared to the Michelin LXT MS2 tires they replaced.

My Pilot, as well as some others on this forum, is a tire eating machine
DT has good prices but I had good experience with Tire Rack when I needed over-size tires that Costco refuses to install on my truck. I got a set of Yokahama Geolander AT G015 and probably will for my Pilot. Perhaps the awesome VTM -4 is the tire eater.

Attachments

Registered
The tires I replaced (and were on the car when I bought it) had about 53k miles on them. I assume that鈥檚 pretty good based on what people are saying. The fronts probably could have gone 15,000 more miles but they were loud and slippery. I think at least for the 1st generation Pilots, they aren鈥檛 super trucky so people tend to put car tires on them (like GY Integrity) and that鈥檚 why they wear out quicker. I guess in theory the Michelin Defender LTX should last much longer although I think Michelin is a bit overly optimistic on their tread life estimations.

Registered
2005 Honda Pilot LX
Perhaps the awesome VTM -4 is the tire eater.
Interesting point. Has anyone seen a comparison for tire tread life on a FWD vs AWD Pilot?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts