Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been pretty wet here and I've noticed when I start my car in the morning there's all this squeaking from under the hood. Is this something that needs to be addressed or is it just something that happens when there's moisture in the air. I'm assuming this isn't the timing belt... Thanks in advance! Video link is posted below.

·
Registered
173 Posts
More than likely it's your serpentine belt. Mine doesn't do it but it's not uncommon for drive belts to squeak in wet/rainy conditions.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Could be a few things.... if it squeaks like that when cold, and goes away when warm....

1. Serpentine belt. Either belt is worn or tensioner is failing to maintain tension.
2. Alternator - these can squeak when cold or under load, before the bearing fails.
3. Tensioner/idler pulley bearings are failing.
4. Crankshaft pulley rubber isolator deteriorated. When this happens before it complete fails, it can allow the belt to move a little and induce a squeek.

To isolate this and ensure it isnt anything connected to the timing belt, remove the belt before a cold startup, crank the engine and let it run without a belt. There should be no squeak or you have bigger problems. Then reinstall the cold belt and see if it comes back. While it is off, inspect the crank pulley, idler/tensioner bearings, alternator, and then install a new belt if none of those are a problem.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks y'all. I'll be checking all of this soon.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts