Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

How often do you use your Pilot to commute to work?

  • Every day.

    Votes: 43 71.7%
  • Most days.

    Votes: 3 5.0%
  • Roughly half the time.

    Votes: 4 6.7%
  • Occasionally.

    Votes: 8 13.3%
  • Never!

    Votes: 2 3.3%

  • Total voters
    60
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Obviously, the Pilot wasn't designed as the ideal commuter's vehicle. But, I find myself wondering how many of us use it for that purpose.......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,388 Posts
Ziploc said:
Obviously, the Pilot wasn't designed as the ideal commuter's vehicle. But, I find myself wondering how many of us use it for that purpose.......
?? I find it to be a very comfortable, safe and almost ideal for commuting in and around the town. I don't mind sacrificing fuel economy for what it gives me in return.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
409 Posts
Everyday

My wife drives it everyday to work about 25 miles each way.

She loves it and finds it just great for commuting.

I am happy that she is driving a safe, reliable ride.

OH.....I get to drive it on the weekends!

Don
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,953 Posts
my wifes drives it 1.5 miles to work eveyday...though I get it on the weekends and evening :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
276 Posts
ramirami said:
my wifes drives it 1.5 miles to work eveyday...though I get it on the weekends and evening :D
Actually short trips like that are hell on engines because it does not give enough time for the juices to properly flow and lubricate the engine. :22: But then again, I'm envious that you are so close to your workplace.

I make a 65-mile round trip when I drive my Pilot during the week, which is usually an average of 1-2 days. Except for last week when we had snow and ice all week....drove it all 5 days.:p
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,729 Posts
Every day - for now at least!

I drive it almost every day to work - mainly because of the road conditions and temps are not always great this time of year in Colorado! Otherwise, I would be commuting on my "other" Honda!!

:2:

rod
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,953 Posts
Pilot-1 said:


Actually short trips like that are hell on engines because it does not give enough time for the juices to properly flow and lubricate the engine. :22: But then again, I'm envious that you are so close to your workplace.
Ya I will get the 3750 mile oil change :cool:

I did not say I was close to work (my wife is). My drive is 35 miles each way. :3:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
289 Posts
Pilot-1

I agree, that's why I don't drive mine to work every day. It's less than 5 miles and when the temps are low I know it doesn't really get warmed up and then sits all day only to drive home again. I keep an old clunker to drive for those hard daily commutes and then use the "good" car for longer drives. Of couorse, when it snows, sleets or otherwise needs all wheel drive, I "sacrifice" the car for my own safety.:2:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: Re: Curious How We're USING Our Pilots

kemosabe said:


I do my best to contribute to the traffic woes...
Gee, if I didn't know better, kemosabe, I'd say that was I-270 in the morning. But, I know you head in the direction of Columbia!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,545 Posts
Everyday...

50 miles a day to work & back. But in the Pilot - it's a pleasure ride. Even with the winter traffic. LOOKOUT!! :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: Everyday

dandbtucker said:
My wife drives it everyday to work about 25 miles each way.

She loves it and finds it just great for commuting.

I am happy that she is driving a safe, reliable ride.

OH.....I get to drive it on the weekends!

Don
Sounds similar to my and my husband's situation.

I might add that he has been concerned about parking our blemishless new baby each day in the rough-and-tumble Metrorail parking lot. So, he's been using the '98 Civic since our Pilot purchase, while I've been driving the beautiful Silver vehicle to my workplace with its more civilized parking area and bigger spaces. But, considering his commute is 13 miles and mine 20 each way, we'll probably be switching before too long, after the Pilot sustains that inevitable first scratch or ding and the perfection honeymoon is over.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,484 Posts
Re: Everyday...

Sage said:
50 miles a day to work & back. But in the Pilot - it's a pleasure ride. Even with the winter traffic. LOOKOUT!! :eek:
Yeah, sage, I'll bet that you drive all winter long without getting stuck in the snow once with such a capable vehicle as the AWD 8" clearance Pilot, huh?:15:

p.s. sage lives in southwest Florida :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,545 Posts
Re: Re: Everyday...

florida_guy said:


Yeah, sage, I'll bet that you drive all winter long without getting stuck in the snow once with such a capable vehicle as the AWD 8" clearance Pilot, huh?:15:

p.s. sage lives in southwest Florida :D
Was that snow? Or snowbirds? :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
The Pilot is the wife's car.....

She generally puts about 60 miles a day on it. Otherwise, it functions primarily as the main family vehicle.

A factor in our decision of choosing the Pilot over a Accord was we also wanted a vehicle that would allow us to do more skiing during the winter months. The Pilot fits that requirement in terms of space, comfort, AWD, etc. This SUV gets about the same mileage as my '91 Legend (wife's former car, now mine) and uses the cheaper 87 octane fuel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: Everyday...

Sage said:
50 miles a day to work & back. But in the Pilot - it's a pleasure ride. Even with the winter traffic. LOOKOUT!! :eek:
Sage, I couldn't agree more--commuting my 40 mi round trip is a pleasure in the Pilot. I had never owned--or (to speak of) driven--an SUV before the Pilot, and I didn't really see me wanting to drive it every day. BOY, WAS I WRONG!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,190 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Curious How We're USING Our Pilots

Ziploc said:


Gee, if I didn't know better, kemosabe, I'd say that was I-270 in the morning. But, I know you head in the direction of Columbia!!!
Actually, Ziploc, I head down I-270, take I-495 to I-95 to MD 32 at 5am every (weekday) morning....

....so, that really is me stuck on I-270!! :4: :3:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Re: Re: Re: Re: Curious How We're USING Our Pilots

kemosabe said:


Actually, Ziploc, I head down I-270, take I-495 to I-95 to MD 32 at 5am every (weekday) morning....

....so, that really is me stuck on I-270!! :4: :3:
My condolences, kemosabe! I head NORTH on 270 toward Frederick and wave at all the people inching along in the other direction. But, if you're leaving at 5 a.m., it's not really all that bad.....is it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,190 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Curious How We're USING Our Pilots

Ziploc said:


My condolences, kemosabe! I head NORTH on 270 toward Frederick and wave at all the people inching along in the other direction. But, if you're leaving at 5 a.m., it's not really all that bad.....is it?
Oooohhh, you're so lucky that you're going against 270 traffic!!

kemosabe ===> :6: :p <=== Ziploc

That's why I get up and oh-dark-thirty in the morning: to avoid the gridlock.... urgh!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
"Beater" Pilot?

Before we bought the Pilot, I drove the Civic as my "beater" so I wouldn't have to worry about parking my NSX in the public parking structure near my office. Since we sold the Civic shortly after buying the Pilot, I ended up with it as my daily driver.

I was a bit concerned at first about using an SUV for this, but I've quickly grown accustomed to it. And it's not like I have to travel far (4.5 miles on surface streets).

I'm sure I'll start missing the Civic when the fuel bills start adding up (yesterday's fill up cost $30...at Costco!), but, for now, I have no problem with the Pilot as my commuter vehicle. Fortunately the parking structure has enough clearance for my snowboard rack...
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top