Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've only had a my '19 Pilot EX-L a week (as of today) and I love it. However, there's one thing that stumps me... why no digital compass? Most of my past cars with homelink mirrors include a compass and I find I'm missing it. Thankfully due to CarPlay I can have Apple Maps running and there's a built in compass for that app so I have one. But I was just curious if there's one in a setting I've missed or just excluded from the car for some reason?

·
Registered
618 Posts
I've only had a my '19 Pilot EX-L a week (as of today) and I love it. However, there's one thing that stumps me... why no digital compass? Most of my past cars with homelink mirrors include a compass and I find I'm missing it. Thankfully due to CarPlay I can have Apple Maps running and there's a built in compass for that app so I have one. But I was just curious if there's one in a setting I've missed or just excluded from the car for some reason?

There is, Its located on the screen on the speedometer. cycle through using the arrows on the steering wheel and you will find it

·
Registered
24 Posts
There is, Its located on the screen on the speedometer. cycle through using the arrows on the steering wheel and you will find it

For a 2019 EX-L without Nav package (and most likely lesser trim levels), there is no compass/heading indicator provided in the vehicle. As you've stated, you'll have to make due with using your phone's GPS capabilities and what it can push to screen via Car Play/Android Auto.

·
Registered
55 Posts
That's really interesting. I have a 2017 EX-L without Nav/RES/Sensing but it does have the compass if I cycle through the menu. I believe it's right before or after the tire pressure info.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yep, 2019's also don't have a native web browser app in the infotainment (at least one that's accessible w/o hacking)... I can understand the removal of the web browser, but not having a directional compass of some sort in vehicles w/o Nav package, is beyond me. Another instance of Honda being very cheap.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For a 2019 EX-L without Nav package (and most likely lesser trim levels), there is no compass/heading indicator provided in the vehicle. As you've stated, you'll have to make due with using your phone's GPS capabilities and what it can push to screen via Car Play/Android Auto.
Thank you! I thought I was going crazy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep, 2019's also don't have a native web browser app in the infotainment (at least one that's accessible w/o hacking)... I can understand the removal of the web browser, but not having a directional compass of some sort in vehicles w/o Nav package, is beyond me. Another instance of Honda being very cheap.
Is hacking possible? I'd be up for trying if so...

·
Registered
466 Posts
Hacks on the 2019 have not worked.

If you want to hack the unit you are on your own, these are not cheap Android phones. Hacking voids the head unit warranty. Dealer will charge you a diagnostics fee, labor fee, and for any parts replacement repairs. After is warranty is up, have at it.

·
Banned
70 Posts
I have a 19 with Nav and there's definitely a compass on the screen below the speedometer - its under "Navigation". My issue with the compass is it doesn't stay on all the time - every time I turn off the car I have to manually go back in once I re-start. All the other options stay on the screen full-time even after a restart. I usually just cycle between the trip computer or the active AWD display instead of looking at a blank screen

·
Registered
743 Posts
I have a 19 with Nav and there's definitely a compass on the screen below the speedometer - its under "Navigation". My issue with the compass is it doesn't stay on all the time - every time I turn off the car I have to manually go back in once I re-start. All the other options stay on the screen full-time even after a restart. I usually just cycle between the trip computer or the active AWD display instead of looking at a blank screen
You have factory navigation, that's why you find it in the center screen under "Navigation"! I think it's been posted that without factory navigation you don't have that selection to choose.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I gave up trying to find it on my EX-L.

I miss not having a compass. Even one of my work trucks, a 2015 with manual locks and roll up windows has one. That's sad.

·
Registered
172 Posts
That's really interesting. I have a 2017 EX-L without Nav/RES/Sensing but it does have the compass if I cycle through the menu. I believe it's right before or after the tire pressure info.
Interesting that a /17 model has it (without Nav), while the '19 model (without Nav) doesn't have it, even though it has other more complex and/or less common (before) things like Honda Sense or memory seats standard.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts