Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my shifter/cupholder console cover off to see if there was a wiring harness plug there and there was a two pin connector there that was not being used. I assume this is for the lighted cup holder for the upper trims.

I want to install this part on my 2021 SE but have not found anyone that has tried it.

College Hills Honda won't provide an actual picture of the part so I can verify.

Have you tried this upgrade.

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,177 Posts
All that drinking and driving that I do, would keep me from spilling my drinks so often? LOL

·
Registered
261 Posts
I took my shifter/cupholder console cover off to see if there was a wiring harness plug there and there was a two pin connector there that was not being used. I assume this is for the lighted cup holder for the upper trims.
I would offer an educated guess that the unused two pin connector you found was indeed installed specifically for the illuminated accessory you are considering. In my experience Honda has a habit of installing wiring harnesses with unused connections intended for Honda add-on accessories. I have found that to be true for the illuminated door sills for both my Pilot and CRV, as well as the interior under dash illumination kit and trailer wiring harness accessories on the CRV. If you are able to download the Honda installation instructions (i.e.: the pdf installation instructions link in your pic) that come with that Cup Holder Interior Illumination Kit, it will probably also show the location of the two pin wiring harness connection point which powers the accessory. If not, just test the unused two pin connection with a volt meter ... I'll bet with the engine running it becomes powered when you switch the headlights ON, and goes off when you turn those lights OFF.

FWIW, I think you will like the looks of this accessory once you install it. I fashioned a homemade version with those same top cup holder rings on a Camry I owned once. It did look cool in the dark.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would offer an educated guess that the unused two pin connector you found was indeed installed specifically for the illuminated accessory you are considering. In my experience Honda has a habit of installing wiring harnesses with unused connections intended for Honda add-on accessories. I have found that to be true for the illuminated door sills for both my Pilot and CRV, as well as the interior under dash illumination kit and trailer wiring harness accessories on the CRV. If you are able to download the Honda installation instructions (i.e.: the pdf installation instructions link in your pic) that come with that Cup Holder Interior Illumination Kit, it will probably also show the location of the two pin wiring harness connection point which powers the accessory. If not, just test the unused two pin connection with a volt meter ... I'll bet with the engine running it becomes powered when you switch the headlights ON, and goes off when you turn those lights OFF.

FWIW, I think you will like the looks of this accessory once you install it. I fashioned a homemade version with those same top cup holder rings on a Camry I owned once. It did look cool in the dark.
Thank you. I can't believe I am the only one trying this on a Pilot.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Thank you. I can't believe I am the only one trying this on a Pilot.
Its a relatively new new accessory for Honda. I think they just started offering it for the 1st time last year. And, ... IMHO the Pilot crowd is not the most excited at mod'ing thier rides.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Mine came with my 17 touring. I like it. Because it outlines the cupholders instead of searching and scratching hinges the gloss plastic trim

·
Registered
261 Posts
I could be wrong, but you may want to verify first that this cup holder light kit actually works on the 2021 model year Pilot.

Honda's estore provides the downloadable installation instruction manuals for that kit up thru the 2020 model year (2020 here - see item 16 down ), but does not show it at all for 2021. ( 2021 estore accessory instructions ) So either it doesn't fit the 2021 Pilot, or they simply have not updated the web site yet if it does. My guess is that you can not see the lighted area in your eBay search because the kit provides a whole new console panel that you replace the old one with, and the lighted area is probably already built into the cup holder ring of the new panel. From what I read in the instructions, it looks like you dismantle the old console panel and attach those trim pieces to the new one before reinstalling it. That includes the vehicle switch off the old panel as well, so you may not even need to use that extra 2-pin connector you found. Just reconnect to the existing wire you disconnected to remove the console in the first place ??? I could be wrong, so you need to verify all that as you may indeed be the first person on this forum to consider one of these items and post questions about it.:)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I could be wrong, but you may want to verify first that this cup holder light kit actually works on the 2021 model year Pilot.

Honda's estore provides the downloadable installation instruction manuals for that kit up thru the 2020 model year (2020 here - see item 16 down ), but does not show it at all for 2021. ( 2021 estore accessory instructions ) So either it doesn't fit the 2021 Pilot, or they simply have not updated the web site yet if it does. My guess is that you can not see the lighted area in your eBay search because the kit provides a whole new console panel that you replace the old one with, and the lighted area is probably already built into the cup holder ring of the new panel. From what I read in the instructions, it looks like you dismantle the old console panel and attach those trim pieces to the new one before reinstalling it. That includes the vehicle switch off the old panel as well, so you may not even need to use that extra 2-pin connector you found. Just reconnect to the existing wire you disconnected to remove the console in the first place ??? I could be wrong, so you need to verify all that as you may indeed be the first person on this forum to consider one of these items and post questions about it.:)
I know its just a cupholder, but you have to keep your mind busy somehow..:):)

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
I know its just a cupholder, but you have to keep your mind busy somehow..:):)
I don't think I've ever needed to see the cup holder to put a cup in it. I know where they are and can put the cup back on muscle memory alone. If you need to look, especially while you're driving, just remember it only takes a second of inattention to get in trouble. If you just think it will look cool to look at when you're parked.... congratulation on having nothing serious to work on your car to make it safer, faster, smoother or more convenient. If no one else has tried something ... there's usually a pretty good reason. Save the money you'd spend on this and put it in a savings account and put it toward things like brake pads, oil changes, a new transmission .....

·
Registered
884 Posts
I don't think I've ever needed to see the cup holder to put a cup in it. I know where they are and can put the cup back on muscle memory alone. If you need to look, especially while you're driving, just remember it only takes a second of inattention to get in trouble. If you just think it will look cool to look at when you're parked.... congratulation on having nothing serious to work on your car to make it safer, faster, smoother or more convenient. If no one else has tried something ... there's usually a pretty good reason. Save the money you'd spend on this and put it in a savings account and put it toward things like brake pads, oil changes, a new transmission .....

Allenga, it's your car and enjoy making modifications as you like! Don't worry about those who don't agree with wanting to do something different or unusual. Cool thing is someone was always the first at doing something even if it is just adding a cup holder light modification.

Enjoy your ride!!!

Reactions: Murphy88

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Allenga, it's your car and enjoy making modifications as you like! Don't worry about those who don't agree with wanting to do something different our unusual. Cool thing is someone was always the first at doing something even if it is just adding a cup holder light modification.

Enjoy your ride!!!
As soon as I find $100 bucks to blow, I am going to order the lighted panel from a Limited trim. Risky as the cost of return plus restocking fees won't make it worth it if I am wrong.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
As soon as I find $100 bucks to blow, I am going to order the lighted panel from a Limited trim. Risky as the cost of return plus restocking fees won't make it worth it if I am wrong.
Wait ... as soon as you find the money? Cool! Disregard my previous about saving for more necessary things. I was going to say, it's your money, spend it any way you want. But I guess I can't. Have fun!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I just installed a wireless phone charger kit for a 19 in my 16 EXL, the Console trim it came with has the lighted cupholder, except I dont have the Plug to plug it in. I just need a plug with wire.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts