Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I'm looking into a Honda Pilot. (also looked at Honda Odyssey and Toyota Sienna). Looking at mainly transporting my clan. I asked the Toyota Dealer about a 3rd row seat in Highlander's future. He said that the problem with putting a 3rd row seat is that that it would be within the rear crush zone. He also said that the Honda Pilot's 3rd row seat is also within the rear crush zone, offering very little protection for it's occupants. I cannot believe this is true, but is it?

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Sounds like some negative hype marketing to me. At least Lexus admits that the reason the RX330 doesn't have a 3rd row is that they see their target market as empty nesters whol want a luxury SUV. The reality is that the Highlander was a late-to-the-party downscale replay of a dated design (RX300) and the market shifted. Their only hope is deep price cuts and negative marketing until a redesign in 2005.

Plus, look at all the fender benders on the road. Most that I see look like the vehicle that was rear-ended didn't have any damage, while the front of the offending vehicle is crumpled beyond recognition. That's a crumple zone.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I remember reading a while ago that the problem with 3rd row seats was not the crush zone (although that may be the case), but rather the high incidence of head injuries. This was due, I think, the the fact that the 3rd row was so close to the rear window, and the headrests so poor that in a crash, your head was likely to hit the rear glass. It was one of the things we looked at when getting the Pilot. I was pleased that there was still room between the rear headrests and the glass, and that the rear headrests are actually functional: they come up high enough to prevent whiplash.

--Bret

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Hopeful Fred said:
Hi. I'm looking into a Honda Pilot. (also looked at Honda Odyssey and Toyota Sienna). Looking at mainly transporting my clan. I asked the Toyota Dealer about a 3rd row seat in Highlander's future. He said that the problem with putting a 3rd row seat is that that it would be within the rear crush zone. He also said that the Honda Pilot's 3rd row seat is also within the rear crush zone, offering very little protection for it's occupants. I cannot believe this is true, but is it?
Don't believe 1/2 of what a sales person says about his car, and even less about the competition's!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback guys. I could not believe that this is the case. If it were, I would have read about it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts