Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is mine the only Pilot that downshifts with the cruise control set at 70 MPH at every slightest incline such as approaching an overpass on an interstate, my previous car also had a five speed transmission with only 215 HP & it never did that to maintain my set speed.:confused: :confused:

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Buda8080 said:
Is mine the only Pilot that downshifts with the cruise control set at 70 MPH at every slightest incline such as approaching an overpass on an interstate, my previous car also had a five speed transmission with only 215 HP & it never did that to maintain my set speed.:confused: :confused:
It is not down-sifting. What you feel is the torque coverter unlocking.
Yes, it does seem to do it more than most other vehicles, but then it does get better gas milage that any other 4WD of its size and weight.

Best thing to do is to get used to it.

·
Registered
423 Posts
On the cruise control topic, does it hurt the system to leave it on all the time even when not in use?
I have gotten in the habit in the past of never turning it off even tho I may not use it for several days.

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
4603pba said:
On the cruise control topic, does it hurt the system to leave it on all the time even when not in use?
I have gotten in the habit in the past of never turning it off even tho I may not use it for several days.
Other than the irritating green light, I see no reason to ever turn it off!

:)

·
Registered
608 Posts
i think the cruise control is programmed to aggressively get to the speed you want it at. try this. set cruise at about 65-70. then press and hold the accel button. in our other cars, they would've just slowly accelerated mph by mph. but in the pilot, after you hold it about 2 seconds, it kicks to 4th, then 3rd, and your RPM is pointing right at 4 k. scared me the first time, but its kinda fun...being pushed back into your seat by that VTEC motor. :2:

speaking of VTEC...has anyone ever hit the VTEC crossover yet (about 4300 RPM)? is it a big kick and you can really feel the extra power its pumping? i havent tried yet, waiting for it to break in some more first. :4:

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
iivtecracerii said:
i think the cruise control is programmed to aggressively get to the speed you want it at. try this. set cruise at about 65-70. then press and hold the accel button. in our other cars, they would've just slowly accelerated mph by mph. but in the pilot, after you hold it about 2 seconds, it kicks to 4th, then 3rd, and your RPM is pointing right at 4 k. scared me the first time, but its kinda fun...being pushed back into your seat by that VTEC motor. :2:

speaking of VTEC...has anyone ever hit the VTEC crossover yet (about 4300 RPM)? is it a big kick and you can really feel the extra power its pumping? i havent tried yet, waiting for it to break in some more first. :4:
Every car I have owned, the cruise control worked the same way - keep holding it and it would accelerate rapidly. Simply "tapping" it will normally increase your speed "about" 1MPH.

Yep, I have hit the VTEC several times. A real kick!!!

:roadtrip:

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Buda8080 said:
I experienced this for the first time this weekend driving the same stretch of expressway four different times. Here's my take on it...

At first it was disconcerting. I was concerned that it would interrupt my mental cruise control that makes long drives in uncongested traffic pleasant.

Then I started evaluating what it was doing. I told it to hold a speed of 67 MPH. As I start up a hill the RPM went from about 1800 to about 2400 with a barely noticeable "down shift" which I'm assuming is what N_Jay refers to as the torque converter unlocking. Sometimes that was it. If the hill was steeper or longer (still just an overpass) it would in my uneducated opinion downshift and kick the RPM's up to 2900.

Now my Acccord never did this but if I was in any kind of traffic I would always get nervous going over those hills because my speed would drop and the car behind me was suddenly on my tail. The Pilot did a much better job of maintaining its speed.

If I were driving I would see the hill coming and gradually increase throttle pressure in anticipation of the hill. The cruise control can't anticipate so as soon as it senses the hill it reacts using whatever means necessary to maintain your requested speed.

When there is very sparse traffic I didn't mind the Accord speed dropping 4-5 MPH before recovering on the down side of the overpass. But if I was cruising along in long haul traffic it always made me feel uncomfortable.

The Pilot never dropped more than 1.5 MPH off the requested speed.

This is a flaw or a feature depending on your point of view. I am hoping and expecting that over time I will not even notice this happening. It will become transparent the way the transmission upshifts do in city traffic.

Now somewhere down the road they will come up with a way to maintain the speed without the "break in smoothness" but apparently we're not there yet.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
4603pba said:
I left the cruise control button on for the entire 199,000 I had my Accord with no ill affects. I intend to do the same with the Pilot especially since they added that nifty cancel button so you don't have to tap the breaks to let your speed coast down.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
iivtecracerii said:

Okay, guess I just drive like a maniac- but almost daily I kick it into VTEC! I love that sound. Actually I just recently wasted a 4runner: stopped at a red light,I was in the left lane that would eventually end at the top of the 1 mile hill- 4runner on the right-no one had let me merge, so i was stuck in the aggressive "I'm coming over" lane :3: Light turns green and off Pilotmom goes. 4runner jerk was desperately trying not to let me in. I thought, "you selfish idiot" and floored it. OOOO adrenaline! I could hear his engine revved way up there, until my beautiful VTEC growl kicked in, and he faded away in my rear view mirror. Take that! Wasted by a mommy with 3 carseats.
I love kill stories :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Wow! You go 74PILOTMOM!

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
74PILOTMOM said:
I love kill stories :)
Just don't be the object of the story. :behead:

I find the other end of the spectrum more useful. Here on LI we have parkways that were built in the 1930s and 40s - interchanges with tiny cloverleafs and virtually nonexistent acceleration lanes. Pulling out of a cloverleaf, the best you can do around the turn is about 30-35 mph. Then, you have about 100 ft. to time your merge and get up to highway speed. The Pilot goes from 30 to 60 mph in a snap. Most other SUVs have good low end torque but then they slug out.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
74PILOTMOM said:
Okay, guess I just drive like a maniac- but almost daily I kick it into VTEC! I love that sound.
The heavy traffic around my house justifies high speed acceleration when entering main highways. I have been babying my Pilot and waiting for more room to accelerate moderately. I am rapidly approaching the 500 mile break in period specified in the manual.

I'm thinking that it wouldn't be a good idea to test the first floor it from 0 to 60 right at 500 miles. Any thoughts on how long I should wait before I start driving normally again?

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
florida_guy said:
Any thoughts on how long I should wait before I start driving normally again?
That depends on what's "normal" for you. For some people, that would be never! :D Like George Carlin says, "Djya' ever notice that everybody going slower than you is an idiot and everybody going faster than you is a maniac?"

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
krygny said:
That depends on what's "normal" for you. For some people, that would be never! :D Like George Carlin says, "Djya' ever notice that everybody going slower than you is an idiot and everybody going faster than you is a maniac?"
Normal means that when I see an opening in traffic when turning onto a major road that I know my vehicle is capable of safely accelerating into I take it. Right now I'm pretending that I'm driving a Yugo when it comes to how much space I need to turn.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
What do you folks think about the Pilot's cruise control's way of keeping speed at the expense of a smooth ride?

·
Registered
276 Posts
florida_guy said:
What do you folks think about the Pilot's cruise control's way of keeping speed at the expense of a smooth ride?
In my opinion the "smooth ride" suffers with the cruise control having to shift so much to maintain speed. I rarely use the cruise control because I can "defeat the system" by keeping my heavy right foot planted and keeping the tranny from shifting so much on hills. Never will get used to a 5-speed transmission :rolleyes:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Love the cruise control

florida_guy said:
I am absolutely delighted with the Pilot the cruise control. I've now been on two long trips and find that it works so well I don't even think about it. It maintains perfect speed and if I need to move it by a mile or two up or down all I have to do is bump it once or twice.

In my opinion this is an amazing engineering feat to make this feature work so smoothly on a vehicle of this size and weight.

By the way - - I get my best highway mileage with the cruise control engaged - not by driving manually.

JJ

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Re: Love the cruise control

raleighpilot said:
I am absolutely delighted with the Pilot the cruise control. I've now been on two long trips and find that it works so well I don't even think about it. It maintains perfect speed and if I need to move it by a mile or two up or down all I have to do is bump it once or twice.

In my opinion this is an amazing engineering feat to make this feature work so smoothly on a vehicle of this size and weight.

By the way - - I get my best highway mileage with the cruise control engaged - not by driving manually.

JJ
I was wondering if all that shifting would affect the normally better mileage of cruise control. I expect I could keep the torque converter / downshifting from occuring if I accelerate in anticipation of the hill coming ahead.

It's too early for me to have a strong opinion on this but there is one vote for and one vote against, here, so far.

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Re: Re: Love the cruise control

florida_guy said:

-snip-

It's too early for me to have a strong opinion on this but there is one vote for and one vote against, here, so far.
Are you counting votes? :eek:

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Love the cruise control

colorider said:
Are you counting votes? :eek:
Yup. 5 votes so far. 1 for and 1 against. :bonk:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts