Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We own a both 2019 Pilot and a 2019 CRV. Both have Adaptive Cruise Control [ACC] and both are worlds apart in functionality. The CRV works as one would expect. It follows at a distance set by the driver, it maintains smooth acceleration and braking, it slows down to a stop and once you tap the gas it resumes. Other features are there too and frankly it is a pleasure to use.

In contrast our Pilot's cruise control is clunky, crude, and frankly dangerous. It is often hunting gears, is in no way smooth when following another vehicle, paramount to slams on the brakes in some conditions and in on our New Jersey Highways is close to unusable. I drove from our home to the Philly Airport the other day down 295/95 and half way through I had to shut it off because it was so herky-jerky that the passengers commented how harsh the ride was.

On several occasions for long drives on not so populated roads it acted in a dangerous manner. One time while coming up to speed it raced up to the car in front of it and even though it picked it up, it did not slow down and the at 70ish MPH it jammed the brakes full on to keep from hitting the car we were approaching. I was new to it and trying to trust it and it seriously damaged my ability to trust it. In addition to the gut wrenching stop, the guy behind me flipped me off for stopping so abruptly. It did that on one other occasion when it detected a car entering the highway and thought we were going to hit it. We were on a straight road, and they were entering the right lane of a two lane highway while I was in the left lane. Again, it pretty much slammed on the brakes while doing 75. When these events happened the vehicle slowed to 50, 40 or even slower and that is simply a recipe for problems on a typical interstate. I have other examples but I won't belabor the point.

I have fallen back to only using the ACC when I drive the Pilot when I am in the vehicle with no passengers and on roads with light to medium traffic. My wife refuses to use it and the pilot is my her daily driver. As for the CRV, I literally could drive the 40 minutes to work on crowded highways and side roads with its ACC and it would be safe and comfortable. It is a stark contrast for us because we have both to compare and it is kind of ironic that the commuter vehicle out performs the more luxurious Pilot.

I seriously hope that Honda is getting these reports and planning on doing something with the software. The pilot has had only one oil change so far and I was away when my wife took it. I plan to tell Honda my experiences when I take either the CRV or Pilot in for service.

Sharing my impressions and wondering if others have had a similar encounter with the Adaptive Cruise functionality.

·
Registered
164 Posts
My 2019 EX-L is the first car I’ve owned with ACC. It works ok and holds set speed well but will brake over aggressively if it detects a high closing rate with the vehicle ahead. Also it is slow to resume the set speed when changing lanes to pass a slower vehicle. The 6speed AT in my car does not excessively gear hunt while using ACC. I’ve learned to anticipate how the system will react and avoid situations where ACC will apply braking by tapping the brake or Cancel button. I think of ACC as a safety feature when using CC rather than a convenience feature... a backup in case I don’t react to a slow vehicle. I don’t use CC in heavy traffic so I‘m not sure I would use low speed follow. CC can be used in conventional mode by holding down the follow distance selector for a couple of seconds. I haven’t experienced aggressive braking due to cars in an adjacent lane. Maybe the radar or camera in your vehicle isn’t calibrated correctly?

·
Registered
222 Posts
The Pilot is the first car I've owned with "sensing" capabilities. While I see the benefits, the performance is poor and much to be desired - as you've experienced. Thank god it's not my daily driver.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I reverted back to conventional CC the first week I got the car. ACC stinks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
I don't like the ACC. It's reactions are abrupt and annoying. I use the standard cruise control. Just hold down one of the buttons on the right (it's in the manual or on line information) and the ACC is disabled and it's just cruise like the old days.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The manual states somewhere that the ACC is not recommended for heavy traffic situations. Putting the following distance on the shortest possible setting helps a little bit with avoiding the situation where the vehicle speeds up and then slams the brakes, as people weave in and out of your lane.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Honda Pilot, Passport, Odyssey and Ridgeline lack the LSF (low speed follow) on the ACC, unlike the '17+ CRVs. Sucks, but its true. This is mostly the reason why the ACC feels jerkey and abrupt. Owners of Ridgeline and Odyssey complain about it and in my '19 Odyssey, I only use it when no one is around. In regular traffic, I use my wonderful right foot.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I use my adaptive cruise control on my Lexus all the time...I never use it on the Pilot for many of the reasons stated above.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Honda Pilot, Passport, Odyssey and Ridgeline lack the LSF (low speed follow) on the ACC, unlike the '17+ CRVs. Sucks, but its true. This is mostly the reason why the ACC feels jerkey and abrupt. Owners of Ridgeline and Odyssey complain about it and in my '19 Odyssey, I only use it when no one is around. In regular traffic, I use my wonderful right foot.
Sucks that the more expensive models don't have something that cheaper ones have.

·
Administrator
15,519 Posts
My experience with Adative cruise on my CRV is pretty dang good.
It leads me to question whether or not the Pilot is properly “focused “ of alighted.
Worth reporting to the dealer.

·
Banned
379 Posts
I'm not a fan either. I use regular cc and I'm happy with that. ACC is best for long highway driving with no real traffic. It's TOO sensitive. If I set the distance right is isn't too bad, but I just can't get used to it, so I stick with using regular cc. It's what I'm used to. Just use that instead

·
Registered
87 Posts
Sucks that the more expensive models don't have something that cheaper ones have.
I have the same sentiment.
Then I realize none of the four vehicles are part of Honda's global market. Just the current generation Civic, Accord & CRV have LSF

·
Registered
12 Posts
Agreed that ACC is too jerky. It seems more reactive than predictive. Our RAV4 ACC is so much better. Also, every time it brakes, your brake lights turn on. My wife was following me and asked why I was braking so much.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Agreed that ACC is too jerky. It seems more reactive than predictive. Our RAV4 ACC is so much better. Also, every time it brakes, your brake lights turn on. My wife was following me and asked why I was braking so much.
Seems like the brake lights turning on when it's braking is something that makes sense and is a good thing so that cars behind would know you are slowing down faster than just letting off the gas.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have the same experience as the original poster. My wife has a 17 CRV and I have a 19 Pilot. The ACC on the CRV is so much better. On top of that, my brother in law has a 15 MDX with ACC that works like my wife's CRV. I am baffled why the newer Pilots have a worse system. I would like to think Honda would reprogram the Pilot but I know that is wishful thinking.

·
Registered
164 Posts
With my 2016 Pilot, I’ve had none of the above issues mentioned by the OP. I wonder if Honda changes the ACC/LKAS programming with the 2019 refresh?

·
Registered
291 Posts
I drive a 2019 Pilot, have the ACC set to the shortest distance and enjoy the experience. I just hope folks aren’t using this for city driving. It’s definitely not designed for that and appears to be only ideal for highway long drives. I definitely appreciate having it as an improvement on CC. My greatest fear is that I don’t get too comfortable with it and sleep off...I have found sleeping on the wheels very tempting when using it...lol...and that shouldn’t be funny ! It beeps when it sights a vehicle in front and gradually starts decreasing my speed when it calculates the other vehicle in front is slowing down. It definitely takes time to pick up momentum again if the guy in front brakes suddenly or slows down considerably. It appears with this iteration on the Pilot, the designers calibrated this to be too sensitive. I don’t blame them much since the technology is relatively novel and better safe than sorry. I have NEVER used CC on my Pilot and I don’t miss it. I only regret the ACC on the Pilot doesn’t work below somewhat below 30 or 40 mph. Can’t remember which precisely.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I drive a 2019 Pilot, have the ACC set to the shortest distance and enjoy the experience. It beeps when it sights a vehicle in front and gradually starts decreasing my speed when it calculates the other vehicle in front is slowing down. I have NEVER used CC on my Pilot and I don’t miss it. I only regret the ACC on the Pilot doesn’t work below somewhat below 30 or 40 mph. Can’t remember which precisely.

I know on my 2016 the LKAS doesn’t work below 45 mph, the ACC won’t activate below 30-35 mph and it will follow the next car down to 22(?) mph.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts