Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello: I was wondering if anyone has had problems with their Honda crossbars. We took delivery of our 2003 Pilot (Leather with Nav. System) about 3 weeks ago. We had them put on the crossbars --but when we drove it home we felt like we were in a wind tunnel. The sound was deafening!!! We took it back and the dealership told us it was due to the crossbars and if we didn't want the noise we should remove the crossbars (which we did). Has anyone else experienced this and is there anything we can do? I would like to leave the crossbars on and everytime I see an SUV with crossbars I get annoyed that my Pilot cannot acoomadate something so simple. Other than that, I love my Pilot and my husband does too. Any suggestions?

Thanks, mkm125
Houston, Texas

·
Registered
8 Posts
The dealer needs to check and make sure they are not installed backwards because this will make them howl. The small side should be facing forward if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tip. I did take it in to the dealer and they were supposed to address the possibility that they were installed backwards. They told me the tech had tested them in different positions, but now with your suggestions, my husband and I can test it ourselves.

mkm125

·
Registered
483 Posts
There is another thread on this issue, its just as khlex has said, it is due from one of the crossbars being installed backwards, good luck.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Here's a link to one of the threads on installation. It has a figure taken from the installation instructions which can be found here.

The cross bars do have a "front edge" and one bar is slightly longer than the other. Check the diagrams for proper installation.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the link(s). I went ahead and checked it out and printed out the diagram for installing the crossbars. If all goes well, I expect the howl to go away. Thanks everyone for your assistance. I'm really glad I found this site!

mkm125
Hosuton, Texas

·
Registered
14 Posts
mkm125,
I had the exact same problem when I picked up my Pilot with "dealer installed" crossbars. I heard the howl while pulling away from the dealership. I checked all the windows thinking maybe one wasn't closed all the way and then I finally pinpointed the sound to be coming from the roof.

I downloaded the installation instructions from the internet and quickly saw that they were installed with the leading edge facing backwards. The little sticker on the leading edge with an arrow and said "Front" was also dead dead give-a-way....duhhhh. I reversed their direction and the problem disappeared.

All it's done now is given me a sense of waryness about the mechanics at my dealer....if they couldn't even comprehend the instructions of a simple crossbar, what will they do if I really have a problem???:eek:

NYCPilot

·
Registered
483 Posts
NYCPilot said:

All it's done now is given me a sense of waryness about the mechanics at my dealer....if they couldn't even comprehend the instructions of a simple crossbar, what will they do if I really have a problem???:eek:

NYCPilot
Scary thought huh. It makes you nervous about any "real" problems developing with your car. Heaven forbid, what if they had to R & I your dash. :eek: :eek:

Keep your fingers crossed

·
Registered
8 Posts
Crossbars

If you do find that the bars are on backwards you should let the dealership know so they can install correctly for the next pilot customer and save them this problem. Not sure what you paid for the install labor but if they are installed wrong and you have to fix the problem I would be asking for some money back also.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Crossbars correctly installed!

Thanks to everyone who posted regarding my crossbar fiasco. Once I read all the replies and the past thread about this problem, I decided the dealership needed to install them correctly (since we paid for it!). I copied about eight replies from this thread and the past threads and told the Service Manager about them. I also told him about this website just in case he wanted to check it out. I wanted him to know that I had discussed this issue with other Pilot owners. Needless to say we even discussed how one bar comes marked Front and the other does not. He had me come in the next day and took care of it in 15 minutes.Well, he was extremely embarrassed and apologized for the fact that I had to make another trip to the dealership. Anyway, I have my crossbars on correctly. Thanks again!

mkm125
Houston, Texas

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Re: Crossbars correctly installed!

mkm125 said:

snipped

Anyway, I have my crossbars on correctly. Thanks again!

and has the wind sound effect problem been solved?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Re: Re: Crossbars correctly installed!

sfhondapilot said:

and has the wind sound effect problem been solved?
When I first got our Pilot, I noticed wind howling on the roof. Got to checking and ended up flipping around the back rail (two bolts) because it was on backwards. No noises now.....

...except for the occasional scrunch:3:

I hope mkm125 had the same result with their bars.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi, once the bars were correctly installed.....no more howling. I can finally stop looking at all those other SUVs with crossbar envy!

mkm125
Houston, Texas

·
Registered
113 Posts
NYCPilot said:
......The little sticker on the leading edge with an arrow and said "Front" was also dead dead give-a-way....duhhhh. I reversed their direction and the problem disappeared.....
I read the posts on this and was looking for the problem when I took delivery since my dealer installed the cross bars (they did it correctly). I saw the stickers the dealer left on and I thought "it would take a total imbecile to install these backwards", but I continue to see this here.

I agree it does not fill you with confidence about Honda Dealer mechanics if you have a drive-chain issue!:eek:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Severe howling wind noise

At speeds over 40, and especially on fwy above 60, I get a wind roar/whistling such that you have to shout to talk, you cannot hear the nav system, etc. I'm assuming this is a problem and not something everyone just puts up with and never mentions. It reminds me of those movies where they've just ascended to the top of K2 and are yelling to communicate over the howling wind noise.

This is a just delivered EX-L, 38 miles total. It appears to be coming from just behind the front seats overhead, leading me to believe its the cross bars or rails, thouigh I can't rule out yet that it's actually coming from the back door. I've set up a dealer appntmt, but if anyone has some input on this, it would help me in discussing with dealer.

·
Admin Du Jour ®
989 Posts
Your crossbars were installed backwards. Flip 'em around.

(I don't think there are any trim pieces/end caps to replace when installing the bars...someone will chime in if that's the case, in which case one of those is missing or installed wrong).

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Here's a thread to show you are not alone. ;) About half way down is a link to the install instructions.

You'll need a torx bit to remove the bars and face them the correct way (4 bolts total) - make sure the front and rear bars are both faced correctly.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yep, backwards stickers and all

I just checked the crossbars, and sure enough, both are backwards, with the front stitcker on the back side. It will be interesting to hear the dealer's rationale.

thanks for the help - I'd done a search on wind before I posted, but I guess I didn't look close enough.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Re: Yep, backwards stickers and all

GlendalePilot said:
I just checked the crossbars, and sure enough, both are backwards, with the front stitcker on the back side. It will be interesting to hear the dealer's rationale. ...
I can hear it now... "uh, we meant to do that, yea, uh, in case you do a lot of high speed reverse driving. Yea, that's the ticket":bsflag:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts