Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my cross bars today.......no probs with the end caps on the roof rails, but I do have two other questions:

1. The ends of the cross bars - the part that the torx bolts go into - they are loose on the uninstalled crossbars. Is this normal?

2. I think I may have a later version of the roof rails - there doesn't seem to be any need to "remove the rail base from the roof", as I can just slide the holders into place after I remove the end cover. Anyone else run into this?

THANKS!!!

·
Registered
146 Posts
1. yes the ends are loose uninstalled. The bars will tighten into place when you attach em and tighten them to the rails. I thought the same thing too when I first got mine.

2. hmmm maybe... I had to remove the cover and base on mine.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
idloveaguinness said:
Got my cross bars today.......no probs with the end caps on the roof rails, but I do have two other questions:

1. The ends of the cross bars - the part that the torx bolts go into - they are loose on the uninstalled crossbars. Is this normal?

2. I think I may have a later version of the roof rails - there doesn't seem to be any need to "remove the rail base from the roof", as I can just slide the holders into place after I remove the end cover. Anyone else run into this?

THANKS!!!
The bars have always only required only the removal of the end caps.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
N_Jay -

But the instructions say to remove the rail base.......hmmmmm. In any case, I spoke a bit too soon - there is a screw that has to be removed before I can slide the holders more than an inch or so.....but I think that's all I'll have to do - instead of removing the whole base (at least according to the instructions)

Thanks........

RUFIO - you made me feel better - thanks.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
idloveaguinness said:
N_Jay -

But the instructions say to remove the rail base.......hmmmmm. In any case, I spoke a bit too soon - there is a screw that has to be removed before I can slide the holders more than an inch or so.....but I think that's all I'll have to do - instead of removing the whole base (at least according to the instructions)

Thanks........

RUFIO - you made me feel better - thanks.
Your right, I'm wrrrrr,,, wrrrooo,,, wroooonnnnnn----g, (whew, that was hard).

I did not remember taking them off, but looking ta the directions, reminded me.

How did you get the parts in the track without taking them off?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
N_Jay -

I haven't completely installed the crossbars yet.....but last night (bit too much to chew in an evening) I was able to remove the end caps and slide the holders into the rails up to the screws....so it would appear that the screw is the only thing holding me up. The diagram in the instructions seem to have a bit of a different setup than I do.....in the instructions, it looks like ou HAVE to remove the base in order to get the holders in at all - not so in my case.......but we shall see.

Another thin that leads me to believe that I have a different setup is the removal of the end caps.....I didn't have to do any of thatfancy footwork with a bent nail or hex key and a lock wrench.....I just pushed a small screwdriver into the hole and voila! Slid right off without any problem at all.......

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
idloveaguinness said:
N_Jay -

I haven't completely installed the crossbars yet.....but last night (bit too much to chew in an evening) I was able to remove the end caps and slide the holders into the rails up to the screws....so it would appear that the screw is the only thing holding me up. The diagram in the instructions seem to have a bit of a different setup than I do.....in the instructions, it looks like ou HAVE to remove the base in order to get the holders in at all - not so in my case.......but we shall see.

Another thin that leads me to believe that I have a different setup is the removal of the end caps.....I didn't have to do any of thatfancy footwork with a bent nail or hex key and a lock wrench.....I just pushed a small screwdriver into the hole and voila! Slid right off without any problem at all.......
Interesting, it has been over a year so I may remember wrong, but I thought that the front mount filled most of the space where the crossbar mounting piece slid in.

As for the nail, hex wrench trick. I chalk that up to production tolerences, as on mine one side was easy and the other hard.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmmmmm......we'll see - I'll be doing this tomorrow. Let you know how it goes.......

I wouldn't be surprised if Honda changed the design of the rails......it seems silly to have to do all that work just to get the cross bars mounted......hopefully it will be as easy as I expect.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK - here's the scoop......

I installed the cross bars this weekend......

I DID NOT have to remove the Base of the roof rail - just the end cap (which came off liquid smooth and instantly with only a small screwdriver pushed into the hole)

Once the cap was off, the base had a notch that the mounting bracket slid right into......after that it took about three minutes to get the cross bars screwed into place.

Total time: 15 minutes

·
Registered
8 Posts
It should not take mote than 15 mintes to install the crossbars. A lot of people want to try and pry the end caps off but all you need to do is insert a small screw driver and slide them forward. This is a very easy process so you do not need to pay a dealer to install. A dealer will charge you between $100 - $150 to install.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Anybody recommend a good source to purchase honda accesories such as the crossbars for discount from the dealer price?

·
Registered
330 Posts
What about Hondacuraworld.com?

mept said:
Anybody recommend a good source to purchase honda accesories such as the crossbars for discount from the dealer price?
Why not buy from Tim, one of the sponsors of this forum at www.hondacuraworld.com? Great service and a mere $3.95 shipping.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts