Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 2003 Pilot is a third vehicle/used as a truck. It doesn't get driven much, maybe once a week. Last night I took out the driver's side 3rd row seat and the interior body panel to find the source of a stink. It was a dead baby mouse. This is the 4th time that something like this has happened to this car. The first time it happened it was still my daily driver. I am wondering about how to keep them out in the first place. I think driving it more often should help. One of my kids just got their license so will be driving this car. I am wondering about the chances for success to have a mechanic with a lift look it over to figure out how they're getting in. I'm not confident. I'm also wondering about the motion devices that are supposed to chase them away.

On a related note, there is/was some white padding stuff behind the body panel glued to the meta of the car. I pulled it all out because it was where the mouse was and it all stunk. I assume it's just there for noise reduction?

·
Registered
11,501 Posts
Most common place mice get in is through the outside air duct. The plastic guard can be compromised easily by mice. Some photos here..

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I will check those things out. One of the covers for access to one of the strut mount bolts in this car has been missing for a while, though it was in place the first time this happened. I've had a piece of dryer clothes softener sheet taped over the hole. Supposedly they don't like the smell. That was intact for this last go round so I know it didn't get in that way.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Thanks. I will check those things out. One of the covers for access to one of the strut mount bolts in this car has been missing for a while, though it was in place the first time this happened. I've had a piece of dryer clothes softener sheet taped over the hole. Supposedly they don't like the smell. That was intact for this last go round so I know it didn't get in that way.
Good idea with the dryer cloth. I read about that too. Also, if you end up seeing a hole in the cloth later on, you know that's the spot to try and seal. Metal wire mesh works well in the house to keep critters out, but dunno about how to fasten it to the vehicle. Maybe with black silicone adhesive...

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will decide that once I take a look at where the mesh is going.

·
Registered
261 Posts
My brother in law keeps his truck parked outside and has (or had) a problem with mice eating away at various engine compartment wiring harnesses, and the like. Out of desperation he put old fashioned, spring loaded mouse traps baited with peanut butter strategically placed in the engine bay overnight. He swears that solved the problem after a few weeks.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Pilot EX-L - - 226k 2007 Honda Accord SE - - 145k
127 Posts
We store our jet skis outside and on the forums for those when it comes to the dryer sheets, they said specifically to use bounce brand. I don't know if there's something different or if it is a placebo effect. 🤣

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,188 Posts
If the critter was in the rear of the Pilot my guess is mama found a way in from the rear. Perhaps have one of your kids shine a bright light from the wheel well area as you look in from where you found the dead mouse. If you see light you know where the entry point is.

Since you know you’ve had rodent visitors also check the engine compartment for droppings. Hondas used soy based wiring which critters love . . . ask me how I know.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,323 Posts
I recently got and installed one of these.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001510165887.html?spm=a2g0s.12269583.0.0.3d7a3b847cVu5A

It's also supposed to have auto cutoff if the car battery gets too low. It also stops emitting once the car is started.

In the week since I installed it, I can report that the battery has not died and I have seen no evidence of mice or other critters.

To be fair, in the over four decades I've driven and owned cars, I've never had a critter problem either.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts