Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently retired and have been keeping myself busy working on wife's Pilot. We took vehicle to Honda last year because of noises in engine and they produced a list of things that needed to be fixed amounting to $6500. I recently began checking things off the list as I fixed them. I have very limited mechanical experience but all the time in the world now. So far I have replaced: the lower control compliance bushings (recalled but we missed deadline), front sway bar links, and rear shocks. Every time I go into a turn I still get this creaking noise. The noise appears to be coming from the front of the vehicle. Is this a strut/coil issue? My knowledge is limited but am willing to diagnose and fix. I'll be doing timing belt next week.

·
Registered
Glorificatus Oleum Mutante
12,817 Posts
Recently retired and have been keeping myself busy working on wife's Pilot. We took vehicle to Honda last year because of noises in engine and they produced a list of things that needed to be fixed amounting to $6500. I recently began checking things off the list as I fixed them. I have very limited mechanical experience but all the time in the world now. So far I have replaced: the lower control compliance bushings (recalled but we missed deadline), front sway bar links, and rear shocks. Every time I go into a turn I still get this creaking noise. The noise appears to be coming from the front of the vehicle. Is this a strut/coil issue? My knowledge is limited but am willing to diagnose and fix. I'll be doing timing belt next week.
Worn out struts will normally rattle when driving on a rough road. A creak could possibly be from control arm bushings needing to be replaced. Can you create the noise by pushing down on the front end? There is also a couple of large bolts under the front end that connect the subframe to the radiator support. If those are loose, it may create a pop or creak noise.

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Re-reading from the beginning --

-- Are the noises there only while driving, or can you hear them just turning the steering in the garage?

-- Noises when turning in either direction, or in one particular direction?

-- Does uneven ground affect the noise? Like turning into a driveway apron from a crowned street. Or out of a driveway?

-- Noise just on hard braking with no steering input?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks for the responses. I got distracted with some projects around the house but came back to finish this. I just replaced the front shock/struts and sway bar bushing. It still creaks when I make turns. It only creaks when Im driving and turning at the same time. I previously replaced rear shocks, stabilizer links, and compliance bushing. I got some pics of the rest of the suspension. The ball join on the lower control arm looks worn but not sure that would cause the creaking?

Automotive tire Bumper Water Automotive exterior Gas

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exhaust Bicycle part Bumper

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Coil spring Bumper

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Synthetic rubber

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re-reading from the beginning --

-- Are the noises there only while driving, or can you hear them just turning the steering in the garage?

noises only during driving

-- Noises when turning in either direction, or in one particular direction?

yes, noises in either direction

-- Does uneven ground affect the noise? Like turning into a driveway apron from a crowned street. Or out of a driveway?

yes i think so, it seems the harder the turn the more the creaking.

-- Noise just on hard braking with no steering input?

no noise on braking. Only when steering and moving at the same time

·
Registered
986 Posts
Our '12 began front suspension creaking in colder weather, starting a month ago. I eliminated front sway bushing (injected lube) and the upper strut mounts (spray lubed). Now I have to dig deeper; sway links to struts, lower ball joints, lower control arm bushings....it doesn't seem to bother my wife, and it's not my daily driver, so no telling when I'll be super motivated...maybe when something falls off ;)

·
Registered
986 Posts
And the old bugger has a cold start/cold weather PS pump whine that wasn't fixed by a new inlet o-ring (yes, it's the right part). It's sucking air in from somewhere else ( possibly hose or nipple at reservoir). Another thing to muster desire to fix....

·
Registered
Glorificatus Oleum Mutante
12,817 Posts
Old (lower) control arm bushing creak. But ya, when you get into it, it's best to replace all the old rubber.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Old (lower) control arm bushing creak. But ya, when you get into it, it's best to replace all the old rubber.
I made a mistake, that top pic is the outer tie rod end. Both sides are worn so I figure I'll change those first...then lower control arm if that doesnt help....appreciate the comment!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Creaking went way and now it just a clicking...ordered new CV Axles!

I didnt realize my vehicle had other symptons that shouldve alerted me to CV Axle...there was a lot of grime around the boots..I assumed it was just 'road grime' but checked other vehicles and they were all clean.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Hmm, now I have to be more motivated to examine tie rod ends and ball joints for our "creaker". All were in good shape 20k miles ago for front pad slaps

Appreciate you posting the solution--a shockingly high number of posters ghost the forum for progress or solutions!.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts