Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 20 Elite that we picked up new in June and about 7k miles on it now. Starting around August, we noticed popping sounds coming from various places around the windshield. It seems to be temperature dependent which is why I think it didn't happen until it started cooling off up here in New England. When it happens, the noises occur in clusters and very definitively from all directions around the windshield lasting on and off sometimes for several minutes. Anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
In doing some more research, I'm now wondering if this is the speaker clicking reported elsewhere. I've seen people describe that like gravel or ice hitting the windshield which sounds like what i have. Although I thought it was fixed in the 20s.

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
857 Posts
Plastic parts expanding and contracting. I get noises like that in every vehicle I have owned and some are worse than others.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Pilot Black Edition
87 Posts
In doing some more research, I'm now wondering if this is the speaker clicking reported elsewhere. I've seen people describe that like gravel or ice hitting the windshield which sounds like what i have. Although I thought it was fixed in the 20s.
Yes, that's the front tweeters producing that cracking sound. It has not been fixed in my case after bringing in my 2020 Pilot for the latest recall. It gets worse in time, in my case there was a loud exploding sound.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Take it to the dealer and get the TSB performed. We had it done on our 2020 Pilot Touring and it solved the issue. Is something to do with the connectors on the back of the radio.

See this thread for further details.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. I have scheduled a service for the recall and TSB. I had seen threads of this prior to purchase but didn't make the connection initially because it sounds so much like the windshield and not the speakers. I guess that's the evidence of (accidentally) functioning surround sound ;-)

·
Registered
397 Posts
I have a 20 Elite that we picked up new in June and about 7k miles on it now. Starting around August, we noticed popping sounds coming from various places around the windshield. It seems to be temperature dependent which is why I think it didn't happen until it started cooling off up here in New England. When it happens, the noises occur in clusters and very definitively from all directions around the windshield lasting on and off sometimes for several minutes. Anyone else experienced this?
Just wait until its -10F Lol. My wife and I where up in Jackson New Hampshire last February and we had a few nights it go very cold. I couldn't believe the amount of creaks and pops I heard coming from the dash and front windshield area. Cheap plastic, better plastic does not expanded and contract that much

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just to close the loop on this, the dealer did the TSB connector repair and the issues are now solved. Interestingly, they found in the diagnostics logs of the head unit that there was a recorded bus drop out. If you're having this issue, you might want to go look for that in the diag view. I remember seeing that section once just looking around but not the precise instructions to find it again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts