Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK my son's 2004 Pilot had a loose positive terminal. No big deal. I tightened it (sparked a few times while turning the wrench) then it starts up ON ITS OWN. Freaks the heck out of me. I put the key in and turn it 'on' and then 'off' but it keeps running. Hit the brake and it stops but then the dash lights and parking lights are flashing. Now it won't start. The lights continue to blink, but no start. I CAN get it to start by disconnecting and reconnecting the battery. To me, everything points to a theft prevention or auto start issue but we got this used with no key fobs or anything. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,945 Posts
If the starter solenoid control signal and/or relay was shorted I would think the starter would have remained fully engaged when battery positive was connected. You would have noticed that. So that probably rules that out.

Check the connection to ground/chassis from the alarm system control box. You’d be amazed at the shoddy work done by some installers. Mine was connected via a drywall screw. Also check the other wire connections from that control box to the various wire harnesses.

Worst case remove the system. You will need to butt splice one or two of the ignition wires if you go that route.

Disconnect battery negative before you mess with any of the electrical connections.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SOLVED!
JUST AN FYI: the solution to this problem probably won't help you. This is not a 'Pilot' issue just a dumbass previous owner issue.
The solution to this problem absolutely blows me away. It's usually not like this. It's so darn weird! Here is what happened. I knew that a car couldn't start on its own and magically have the starter disengage on its own. So I went looking for some sort of remote start system. I found it! It was a Clifford remote start system that was tucked way up under the dash. When I found it I took the name off of it and Googled it for wiring diagrams. When I found the wiring diagram it said that there should be a button somewhere (valet button) . The instructions said that this button should be hidden somewhere so that it's not accidentally pressed. They suggest drilling a hole near the radio or in the dash somewhere. I did not see this button anywhere. I looked all over for it but there was no button in this vehicle! So I decided to trace the wires that were supposed to go to the button and find out where they went. I trace the wires and found that the button was not mounted anywhere but just hanging loose in the wiring. Someone had used a zip-tie to make sure that it was out of sight out of mind. I press the button and voila the vehicle works normally now. I've never had a situation like this before! We recently did some unrelated work to the vehicle so I'm assuming somehow this button got pushed by pulling a wire or something.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts