Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I know "mileage may vary", "mileage depends on driving conditions", yadd, yadda, yadda but I do not think there is ANY excuse for 13.2 MPG with 70% driving on the freeway at 65 MPH.
No A/C, no hill climbing, no towing, no extended idling, no neighbor siphoning gas : )

It coasts fine (parking brake or regular brakes are not on, alignment is not suspect) and shifts OK but some other Pilots seem to have crisper acceleration but this is somewhat subjective.

I have not yet taken my vehicle back to the dealer but will soon unless the next tank is at least 17MPG. Something is wrong or else there are a lot of liars on this site claiming 18-22 MPG at 70+ MPH.

I know I only have 500 miles and mileage MIGHT improve. Nobody wants to spend $30K+ for a vehicle and then admit they get such poor mileage but I am being honest.

A few select others have reported low mileage too so I believe Honda has a quality control problem on their hands with injection, transmission efficiency or fuel mapping/management programming.

The more Pilots are sold, the more evident this vehicle to vehicle mileage problem will become evident. I bet they fix it next year.....maybe. I just got a bad one.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Sorry to hear of your poor gas mileage. I believe you do have a problem. My Pilot, even brand spanking new, gave over 20 MPG in varied driving conditions.

I would certainly contact your dealer and have them go over it very carefully. Maybe they can pull out some service codes that might be logged in the computer. Maybe it needs to be reset as well as relearning the idle speed.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Yeah, not sure of my millage yet, but my tank was full last Saturday, and still has a quarter left, not bad.. been about 10 days in town driving. put on about 275 kilometer's so far.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Something must be wrong with your vehicle or you have one heck of a lead foot. We normally get right out 20 mpg, but have gotten 23 mpg on an interstate trip with the average speed around 75 mph.

·
Registered
373 Posts
9400 miles and climbing. My average milage really is 18.5 mpg (and I'm heavy on the gas).
If I drive mostly highway I easily get 20.5 mpg or higher.
My Pilot's always gotten these numbers even from new.
Even my V8 AWD Mountaineer got 14.5 average.
I would have it checked soon.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Low Mileage Woes...Continued

We've had our Pilot EXL for about 3 weeks. We're doing city driving only, to and from work. We're putting about 10 miles a day or less on the new SUV.

Our mileage is very disappointing too. We're averaging about 13 miles a gallon.

Hopefully, this isn't the standard? I choose the Pilot for it's mileage rating!

·
Registered
991 Posts
Once the break in period is past, it will get better, I just filled up my tank, and it took two weeks to empty, not bad at all..

·
Registered
138 Posts
I've been *METICULOUSLY* tracking the milage so far and these are the numbers I've got so far ....

At 1119.2 --> 16.870 MPG (50% Highway)
At 2281.2 --> 18.329 MPG (50% Highway)
At 5961.3 --> 19.141 MPG (80% Highway)

Though my numbers have been improving, I haven't got 20+ so far .... Should I start worrying ???? :confused:

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
C. Reno said:

I know I only have 500 miles and mileage MIGHT improve.
Relax, you have only one or two fillups. With differences peteen fillus and gas pumps, I would guess that your measurment is not that accurate.
You also have to give it a few more miles to break in.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Mike and Margaret...

Mike & Margaret said:
We've had our Pilot EXL for about 3 weeks. We're doing city driving only, to and from work. We're putting about 10 miles a day or less on the new SUV.

Our mileage is very disappointing too. We're averaging about 13 miles a gallon.

Hopefully, this isn't the standard? I choose the Pilot for it's mileage rating!

Short trips, especially in local traffic and during cold weather, is one of the WORST scenarios for good mileage... the engine doesn't even get a chance to warm up completely.

My gas mileage, while still relatively low due to my driving circumstances, has gradually improved as the accrued mileage increases. Currently, the Pilot has about 5500 miles.

Typically, your best mileage will be recorded during a long highway trip with very few stops, sometime after the break-in period.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Improving

Tank #1, all suburban. 13.5MPG (assuming dealer had full tank)
Tank #2, Mostly Suburban 15MPG
Tank#3, 300 miles, 200 were highway, 18.6
Tank #4, 220 miles, 200 highway, 20 city, 19.9mpg

Truthfully, I don't expect better than 18 in the suburban life

·
Registered
138 Posts
ksraja said:
I've been *METICULOUSLY* tracking the milage so far and these are the numbers I've got so far ....

At 1119.2 --> 16.870 MPG (50% Highway)
At 2281.2 --> 18.329 MPG (50% Highway)
At 5961.3 --> 19.141 MPG (80% Highway)

Though my numbers have been improving, I haven't got 20+ so far .... Should I start worrying ???? :confused:
Any thoughts/sugg/flames ??? :confused:

·
Registered
17 Posts
EPA what?

6000 miles and only one tank reached the EPA city mileage of 17mpg.

Every time I step on the gas, even on level pavement, the transmission downshifts into 4th gear. Is 5th gear so high that you would expect the downshift?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Strange that there is such a difference in people's mileage. Here are some of my results as an FYI.

Yesterday, drove a continuous 380 mile trip home and got my best mileage yet - 25.89 mpg!

Conditions:
*160 miles going 55-62mph, 3000-5100 ft elev. 25F-32F outside temp, wind was calm.
*220 miles, 72-73mph, ~300ft elev, 48F-56F outside, no wind.
*All four tires at 32psi. Pilot has ~5500 miles total.

Worst mileage was my first tank, maybe the dealer didn't fill it as full as I do, was 17.81mpg.

Complete List:
17.81 city
24.81 hwy
24.33 hwy
19.47 city
24.1 hwy
21.18 city
21.52 city
19.23 city
19.03 city
18.53 city
19.27 city
20.19 city
22.80 hwy
23.09 hwy
25.89 hwy

My city driving is stop and go through city streets and stop lights. I avoid the heavy Interstate stop and go gridlock traffic.
My hwy driving is mostly cruise control, set from 72-75 mph.
I'm not the fastest accelerating, or the slowest, RPM's usually stay 1200-2200 when driving in the city.
Mine doesn't downshift out of 5th as easy as some people have said, I have to be climbing 2 or 3 percent grade and step on the gas pedal more than half way.

-Pete

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Re: EPA what?

Tonto said:
Every time I step on the gas, even on level pavement, the transmission downshifts into 4th gear. Is 5th gear so high that you would expect the downshift?
NO, the first drop you feel is the torque converter unlocking. Very normal. The second drop is the 5 to 4 downshift. It is not that hard to have happen if you are a bit heavy footed.

Remember, getting good gas milage depends as much on how you brake as it does on how you accelerate.

Test drive another pilot. If it shifts like yours then it is you, if it is different then it is your Pilot.

·
Registered
64 Posts
C. Reno said:
OK, I know "mileage may vary", "mileage depends on driving conditions", yadd, yadda, yadda but I do not think there is ANY excuse for 13.2 MPG with 70% driving on the freeway at 65 MPH.
No A/C, no hill climbing, no towing, no extended idling, no neighbor siphoning gas : )

It coasts fine (parking brake or regular brakes are not on, alignment is not suspect) and shifts OK but some other Pilots seem to have crisper acceleration but this is somewhat subjective.

I have not yet taken my vehicle back to the dealer but will soon unless the next tank is at least 17MPG. Something is wrong or else there are a lot of liars on this site claiming 18-22 MPG at 70+ MPH.

I know I only have 500 miles and mileage MIGHT improve. Nobody wants to spend $30K+ for a vehicle and then admit they get such poor mileage but I am being honest.

A few select others have reported low mileage too so I believe Honda has a quality control problem on their hands with injection, transmission efficiency or fuel mapping/management programming.

The more Pilots are sold, the more evident this vehicle to vehicle mileage problem will become evident. I bet they fix it next year.....maybe. I just got a bad one.
also keep in mind that if the gas you use is "oxygenated" sp?, then your mileage will suffer.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I surpassed 9,000 miles on my Pilot coming into work this morning. I live in the mountains of NC with really curvy roads, you know, the really fun stuff to drive!

Anyway, with these conditions, I have averaged 17-18 mpg on every fillup, except for those first few, when it was around 13-14 mpg. I don't punch the gas at green lights (unless I am racing the little punks in their souped up Civics which I do from time to time to show them who is boss. Hey, a mom's got to make her kids proud every now and then!) And I start slowing down way before red lights. I know this isn't possible in cities, but here in the country you can.

I also don't let the car "warm up" in the mornings. I read somewhere that a vehicle doesn't need the warm up time. And since it just wastes gas, and also since the heater in the Pilot is absolutely second to none in the time it takes to get warm, we don't waste our gas letting it heat up. The only exception would be when I have ice on the windshield, and of course, I have to let it heat up then.

So look at all the ways you might be using gas and not thinking about it. Your actual mpg might not be as bad as you think.

Just my .02 cents.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Gas mileage as advertised.

During the first 550 miles of mostly city driving we averaged about 17.5 mpg. Just returned from 280 mile round trip on Interstate. Averaged 22.2 mpg. I did, however, notice a slight vibration between 73-80 mph. Have to take a closer look at the Goodyear tires. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
991 Posts
Man, this one is bugging me also, trying to decide If I should go for Michelin CT, or Pirelli of some sort (Heard this was a nice quite tire) Also got a recommendation for Bridgestone H/P Duelers. But this tire is not really for snow.. One thing I know, two dealers will take my Goodyears in trade! thats a bonus..

rob

1 - 20 of 63 Posts