Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone experienced long cranking time in their pilot?? It does not happen all the time, but at least once a week. It will just crank for a good 15-20 seconds. o_OBut it always starts and runs normal.
2011 exl, with about 90k on it. It has new timing belt and components. I have not changed the spark plugs yet. No check engine light or codes.

·
Read Only
187 Posts
My first thought would be a failing fuel pump some symptoms of that are but you say it runs normal.
1. Whining Noise From the Fuel Tank
2. Difficulty Starting
3. Engine Sputtering
4. Stalling at High Temperatures
5. Loss of Power Under Stress
6. Car Surging
7. Low Gas Mileage

8. Car Will Not Start

Are you sure you have your foot on the brake when starting the car?
Sorry wish I could be more of help. It is summer time some gas stations use allot more ethanol in the gas during this time of season, maybe cheap gas.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,174 Posts
What is the green key dash icon doing during the long cranks?

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
We're supposed to push the brake when starting?
Maybe with a push button starter but I can't think of a vehicle that's required me to have a foot on the break... I do the lean in and start all the time when it's really hot out to let the AC run for a minute so I cook in the 100 degree air rather than the 150 degree air.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Old Battery
Battery is less then 1 year old, and its a gel cell not a standard wet battery.

What is the green key dash icon doing during the long cranks?
Not sure never paid attention to it. What should or shouldn't it be doing???

Not a push button start, but I still push the brake while starting.

I'll double check for fuel pump noise, but don't ever remember hearing anything.
It also always runs good even with the high temps we had here in SW Fl. no problems driving high way speeds or even passing.

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
When operating normally upon turning the ignition key the green key icon should blink for a few seconds then turn off. If it remains on there is an immobilizer issue. So if you’re cranking away for 15-20 seconds you should only see the icon for the first few seconds.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When operating normally upon turning the ignition key the green key icon should blink for a few seconds then turn off. If it remains on there is an immobilizer issue. So if you’re cranking away for 15-20 seconds you should only see the icon for the first few seconds.
Turn key, green light comes on then goes out... Start Pilot, no green key flashing..
Tried again, with not hesitation. no blinking green key, to about 5 seconds to start.

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
Assuming you didn’t remove the key from the ignition between starts that sounds right.

The next time it doesn’t start right up turn the key between the I and II position a few times, holding each time at the II position for a few seconds, before cranking. If this helps it could be the fuel check valve.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Has anyone experienced long cranking time in their pilot?? It does not happen all the time, but at least once a week. It will just crank for a good 15-20 seconds. o_OBut it always starts and runs normal.
2011 exl, with about 90k on it. It has new timing belt and components. I have not changed the spark plugs yet. No check engine light or codes.
Is this a hot start problem?

If so, it could be leaky injectors. They get old, and dribble fuel into the manifold after engine shutdown. This causes a too rich start, requiring long cranking to clear the flooding.

Or, the fuel pressure regulator could have a ruptured diaphragm , which does about the same thing. I'm not sure about the 2011. Early pilots had the regulator on the intake manifold. Failure can cause flooding. Later models locate the regulator to the fuel tank, so this won't occur.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So this is my wife's daily driver. Most of the time that the long start happens is after it sits for a couple hours.. I have only see it do it once with in 10 mins of turning it off and restarting.
But I guess it could be leaking fuel injectors, But the oil does not smell of gas.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts